LCVG

Next Gen Consoles - Pricing Speculation

Well, there's some additional info from gamespot on the sony event including some ominous verbage from ken-san with respect to pricing to go along with what we've already heard.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/22/news_6129611.html

"I'm aware that with all these technologies, the PS3 can't be offered at a price that's targeted towards households. I think everyone can still buy it if they wanted to," said Kutaragi to a mostly Japanese crowd. "But we're aiming for consumers throughout the world. So we're going to have to do our best [in containing the price]."

Everyone can still buy it if they want to, geez, sounds like not only will I have to work extra hours, but I'm going to have a arrange a bank loan for the ps3 as well.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask anyone on this thread, the PS3 WILL COST $299, even if the president has almost flat out denied it at every opportunity. The magic flying Sony monkey are going to sprinkle fairy dust on vat grown protoplasm until it morphs into free Blu-ray drives.

$399 minimum. Flame on, johnny, flame on

:P -> :mad:

I'm with Snakefish, I'm seeing $399. I see only a Nintendo Revolution fo cheap in my future for the next 1-2 years. Maybe Nintendo isn't so dumb after all. I can probably live off my PS2 RPGs for a while, while waiting for a price drop - like I've said before, the only PS2 title I had for over a year was Tekken Tag Tourney.

Ask anyone on this thread' date=' the PS3 WILL COST $299, even if the president has almost flat out denied it at every opportunity. The magic flying Sony monkey are going to sprinkle fairy dust on vat grown protoplasm until it morphs into free Blu-ray drives.

$399 minimum. Flame on, johnny, flame on

:P -> :mad:[/quote']

$399 is starting to look like the low end price. $499 in canada, perhaps, or better yet, $599 for the wayne gretzky take it or leave it, only in canada, ps3 bundle. A copy of wayne gretzky hockey, sans instructions or case, a zero trade in value at EB, along with some thoroughly useless accessories, like the horizontal ps3 stand, spiderman 2 on blu-ray, a 32 meg duo card for game saves, a blu ray demo disc featuring associated sony films, artists and game videos, and an instruction manual about 500 pages thick in 6 different languages.

I still find it strange that he would spend so much time talking about price if it was going to be high. It's almost a caricature to say "it will be expensive" - I mean when's the last time you ever heard a corporate president say anything like that? Imagine hearing Steve Jobs come out and say, "the new PowerMac will be expensive." If he said that, I know something would be fishy. In fact getting a president to talk about pricing at all is odd, IME. It's just plain weird, whether it's the truth or not.

Now, maybe it's something about Japanese corporate practice that I don't understand. That could be. But I'm not sure I buy the idea that they would send out the president to pre-announce the enormous cost of their new flagship machine a year in advance of it's release. It's truly disastrous marketing, if it's true.

Can anyone clear this up for me? Is there precedent for Japanese corporate leaders to talk about the pricing of their products in public so long before release? And if so, is it usually a reliable guide to pricing, or a game of reverse psychology?

I'm seriously intrigued by this, regardless of the price of the final PS3.

EDIT: changed the sentence:

"It's truly disastrous marketing, even if it's true."

to

"It's truly disastrous marketing, if it's true."

And if so, is it usually a reliable guide to pricing, or a game of reverse psychology?

I can't help but wonder if this is a scheme closely coupled with their "more powerful than God" hype. Then they release it at the same price as Xbox360, having created an atmosphere of "Holy shit, that's one hell of a bargain given that it's so damn powerful."

I can't help but wonder if this is a scheme closely coupled with their "more powerful than God" hype. Then they release it at the same price as Xbox360, having created an atmosphere of "Holy shit, that's one hell of a bargain given that it's so damn powerful."

Exactly what I was thinking, Jay. Didn't they essentially do the same thing with the first two Playstations? At the very least, I seem to recall everyone speculating that the first one would cost no less $399. Lo and behold, it came out for $299 as did the PS2.

You gotta give Sony credit for being able to really raise people's expectations for what their consoles will be able to do technologically.

Exactly.

Since E3 Sony has done a wonderful job of projecting the PS3 in a very calculated manner. Kutaragi's price speeches are all part of the psychological spin. Microsoft has viral marketing games but Sony is playing things much more interestingly.

What if he isn't playing a strategy at all, and is just being honest. The PS3 comes out at $699. People are surprised. Sony says, "We've been telling you it would be expensive. You thought we were kidding?"

Because that 'strategy' benefits no one. That is exceedingly poor marketing. You end up with pissed off consumers, AND a condescending 'told-you-so'.

That's a sure-fire way to never sell anything. Sony has made some dumb mistakes recently, but that would take the cake.

In some ways it would be a refreshing change from the normal marketing-speak, where the positive sides of a product are spun so thoroughly that they are all you can see, and the negative ones repackaged as uninteresting details in the footnotes. But it wouldn't work in terms of selling PS3s. Sony must know this.

I think under the "more powerful than God" hype, pricing it more than the competitors makes sense. Honestly, I'm SURE it will launch for more than the Xbox360. They've been saying it over and over, from the 'work more hours to buy it' to the 'it will be expensive'. Minimum $50 more than the 360, maximum maybe $100. It only helps the hype. "It costs 25% more because it is 300% more powerful" will likely be the kind of spin.

They can make 1000% more powerful than the xbox2, but if it's $100 more, I'm not buying it.

Thank you for making that most important point. That is exactly why the price will be in line with the competition.

Perhaps I'm out of line for saying this but we've been through the pricing debate multiple times in the two episodes of this thread. It boils down to people who think it'll cost a lot and people who think it'll be whatever the Xbox 360 is selling for at the time PS3 releases. I think we've speculated the hell out of this one. Any chance we can move pricing speculation to its own thread and move on here?

Perhaps I'm out of line for saying this but we've been through the pricing debate multiple times in the two episodes of this thread.

You sure aren't.

It boils down to people who think it'll cost a lot and people who think it'll be whatever the Xbox 360 is selling for at the time PS3 releases. I think we've speculated the hell out of this one. Any chance we can move pricing speculation to its own thread and move on here?

I'm inclined to agree with you. In fact, ask and you shall recieve!

Please continue all PS3 pricing discussion in this thread. Any and all other information pertaining to the PS3 can continue on in the regular thread found here:

http://www.lcvg.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6878

Thanks guys!

I would have preferred a next gen console price speculation thread rather than a ps3 specific one. The ps3 has been easy to pick on due to some rather eccentric comments from the kenmeister who has made sticking his foot in his mouth an art form this year. I'm not sure if its his demotion at sony that has caused his verbosity to increase exponentially, but its almost as if he wants the media to recognize he's still the main man when it comes to all things playstation.

The xbox 360 price is still up for speculation as well, but MS has been far more low profile about the matter and simply hasn't bothered mentioning much about it, other than we won't be shocked, it'll be in a given neighboorhood and further details will come at the end of summer. There's been more specific speculation from an analyst or two and its difficult to place a great deal of credence there, as its hard to determine whether the cost structure indicated by an analyst is accurate or way off.

I'd like a $299 price point for the 360, but I wouldn't be suprised by $349 or $399. I'm hoping we'll get some info on pricing and a release date at least for the japanese market from this xbox summitt meeting in japan.

The xbox 360 price is still up for speculation as well, but MS has been far more low profile about the matter and simply hasn't bothered mentioning much about it, other than we won't be shocked

MS representatives have already stated the Xbox360 will come in at around 300 bucks. No official price has been announced of course, but there is a whole lot less room to speculate that the Playstation 3. Regardless I have gone ahead and changed the thread title to encompass all next gen titles.

MS representatives have already stated the Xbox360 will come in at around 300 bucks. No official price has been announced of course, but there is a whole lot less room to speculate that the Playstation 3. Regardless I have gone ahead and changed the thread title to encompass all next gen titles.

Well, that's what I call super service. J. Allard stated in the neighboorhood of 300 big ones, and that's a little vague for me. $399 is in the $300 neighboorhood. I really don't trust off the cuff comments from execs from any company.

The only other quote I've heard is the following.

Microsoft did not discuss pricing for the Xbox 360, but assured us in our meeting with management that ?neither you nor consumers will be shocked? at the price.

I really wish execs would stop with comments like this. I won't be shocked. Well, that leads to me ask the obvious, and that's, what would I consider a shocking price and work from there. I don't consider a price of $399 shocking, but someone else might.

J. Allard stated in the neighboorhood of 300 big ones, and that's a little vague for me.

Well, yeah. It's going to have to be vague until they actually finalize pricing. 399.99 I would not consider in the neightborhood of 300 dollars. 349.99 would not be out of the question, but I do not see Microsoft releasing the 360 for anything more than 299.99.

My original point though was that Microsoft has left a lot less room for speculation in terms of the Xbox360's price as opposed to Sony who could very well be playing a smoke and mirrors game with the gaming public right now. You can put me in the group of folks that believe the Playstation 3 will release at a similiar price to what the Xbox360 is at the time. I do not believe Sony would release for significantly higher.

I'm gonna predict something like this for price points in the US:

MS: $299

Nintendo: $249

Sony: $329

What does everyone else expect? What about game prices? ( does that need a new thread/thread title too? :D ) If they are going to increase game prices, maybe that will enable them to keep the console prices lower. Honestly, higher game prices bother me much more than paying a little more for the console, as that really adds up when you buy a lot of games.