LCVG

What investments do you have?

I dont bother puting anything into my bank savings account (I think I have all of $500 in there). My paychecks go straight to my checking account. 10% of my paycheck is withdrawn to purchase company stock options (which are doing very well at the moment) & another 10% goes to my 401k plan which is 100% stocks for the time being. Beyond that I just keep my money in my checking account and whenever I have the need (or urge) to buy something if I can afford it I will get it. I don't spend what I do not have. That is the general rule I live by. No credit cards in my wallet. :)

Also since my company stocks are on the rise I will probably quit buying in once the price gets much higher. That 10% I will probably just stick in my savings account until I figure out what I want to start investing in.

I have the same philosophy, though I do have credit cards. I use them because it is easier than having to constantly use an ATM. AND I get 2% back on all purchases.

That is what a debt card is for. :) I use mine for just about everything possible. I hate dealing with cash.

I have two CC I carry around with me. My amazon visa which i get points on, and my Best Buy Card. Both are paid off immediately and never have a balance . I hate carrying around a lot of cash. and it just makes everything quicker. If i make a big purchase like a TV or most recently a computer this week I wait for the 18-24 months no intrest offers. I have not paid one dime of intrest in my life. Thats the key.

capt

I maintain roth ira's at fidelity for my wife and I. About half the money in there is in a fidelity freedom fund which reallocates assets based on a projected retirement age. The rest is in a couple of funds and etf's.

Our 401k's are split up to give a little diversity, mostly us stock funds, but I do have some money in international markets just in case the us dollar tanks.

I've started paying attention to my finances this year and am closing my taxable accounts, between our roth accounts and 401k's we can put nearly 40k per year away in non-taxable accounts. Maintaining a taxable account just doesn't make sense until my tax free options are all used up.

For credit cards I use a citi dividend card, it pays 1% cash on everything and 5% on gas and groceries. For my family this works out to around $35-$45 per month. :rock I also use an mbna credit card to pay my citi card, this gives me a 90 day interest free loan on anything I purchase. :tu

I have a cash-management account at Merrill Lynch that I also use as my checking account. With that I get a debit card that has a pretty good rewards program. As of now I plan on getting around $1000 in Best Buy gift cards when the 360 and then PS3 come out.

In that account I do preferred stocks which net around 8.25% in dividends every quarter while maintaining their value (a few have actually gone up a bit more than preferred stocks should, but I'm not complaining).

I also always have something in the spider (SPDR).

Other than that I contribute 6% to a stock purchase plan and another 5% or so (I think) to a 401k. I also have some old IRAs.

As for credit cards, I carry a Citi and Chase, mostly used for online purchases and car rentals.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a mutual fund that's doing OK. Since I'm broke I can't put anything into it right now.

Realistically, any investment you make should have a return of 4.2% or better each year or inflation is nullifying it. Preferrably 12% or better. Quite frankly once I get to a point where I can invest again, I'm just gonna do some reasearch into what the best funds out there are (and how long they've been in existence) and put my money there and not be bothered. I don't have time to pick individual stocks and shift my money around into them. Even though I like Apple. :D