LCVG

Smackdown vs. Raw 2006 (PS2)

Romier S

Well, the Xbox wrestling games have been a bust for the most part (though I still feel Wrestlemania 21 is a decent game). The Gamecube got it's wrestling on with Day of Reckonin, which is seeing an excellent quality sequel in a month or so by the looks of it. Then there is the real star of the wrestling genre; the Smackdown series. Here Comes the Pain was awesome. It's the best wrestling game released this generation. Raw vs. Smackdown was a bit of a letdown by comparison featuring a reduced roster, disappointing story mode, and a barebones online mode. Raw vs. Smackdown looks to remedy all of that. Here is the first big news on the game aside from the already announced Buried Alive match, bigger roster, more modes, and new gameplay changes:

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/633/633214p1.html

Of course, the most important bit of news was that title belts could now be defended online via a "virtual WWE Championship" with career leader boards and a permanent ID system that tracks all of your user stats. Additionally, fixes to the season mode have been made so that players can now play through two full seasons without repetition, and superstar-specific storylines complete with voice-over have also been included.

Other interesting details included the revelation that there are more than 100 different match types, including the already-revealed Buried Alive contest and a still-mysterious Bar Brawl. New removable costumes for the divas have been added as well, so the guys who always wanted to rip off nurse, school girl, and French maid outfits from their favorite female superstar can finally do so in a legal way. Wrestlers and their environments have been given added functionality too -- with the ability to play possum and a new "sleeper hold submission system" joining fully customizable 3D locker rooms and an extensive create-an-entrance option. Brand new (unannounced) legends and three levels of blood will also be implemented.

I still have not been able to scratch that online wrestling itch with the games released so far. Could this finally be the one that gives us a quality online mode and the quality gameplay the series has been known for in it's past few releases? God I hope so. I know there is a better chance of it here than anywhere else.

The last bunch of wrestling videogames for all 3 systems were lacking severely, and if they weren't, I was still getting much more life out of Here Comes the Pain anyway.

This new game better be comparable if they expect me to trade my old game in, and it's gonna take more than recording Rene Dupree and Edge's voiceovers in a bathroom. </jaded>

• 3 months later...

I'll be getting it for sure. A bit disappointed that there is no way to communicate online. Trash talking is half the fun and it sucks to have to work around it.:( Though the ability to download created wrestlers, and the huge array of options available pretty much tells me I'll be setting up some Xbox Live chat sessions while we fight online on the PS2.:tu

Not to be a prick.....but how the hell could you get a ladder on top of the cell? I have never seen that in a actual HITC match so I highly doubt that it would be in a game. Hell, Foley had to put a strap on his barbwire 2x4 in his HITC match against HHH to get that on top of the cell. Carrying a ladder while you are climbing just seems kind of impossible.

Tables have always been stackable in the Smackdown series....you just need to know how to do it. :)

-Dean-

The ladder could be leaned against the cell, then pulled up once the wrestler is on top of it. It would have to be a tall ladder, but that's OK because it would make the fall through the announce table even longer. Perhaps that might be a bit excessive, but I at least want access to the various tools of hardcore during a HIAC match.

Tables, at least up to the most recent game I own in the series, are not stackable in any usable manner. Yes, you can eventually get one table on top of another if you fidget with it for long enough, but it's impractical during a match and the results aren't even interesting.

Can you use tables and ladders in a Hell in the Cell match?

That woud be hilarious if you could do that. I remember playing HCTP on my cousin's PS2 and being the first time I've played it, I climbed up to the highest point on the NY street and jumped....I wasn't too successful, but I couldn't stop laughing.

No one picked this up yet or is everyone too busy playing it?

I started the season mode almost right away. The controls seem pretty similar to last years, but the reversals are a lot more frequent. I have no idea where the storyline is going this time as they jumped right away to the Smackdown vs Raw angle. Good marketing by the WWE to time their on air storyline with the new release of the PS2 game too.

One thing that seemed to bug me was that Jake Roberts(according to the unlocking instructions) is only unlockable on the PSP version and then has to be copied to the PS2....why?

Started a season with Orton last night. WOW!!!!! This game moves great and the addition of stamina makes it very strategic. Plus having all the extra grapple moves makes for huge move sets. I love the black and white slo-mo finishers too....really adds impact to them. The Voice Over is much improved but the commentary still needs work. I'll dig into the CAW and online real soon.

-Dean-

Good news on the load times Dean. The game was acquired during my lunch break. I doubt I'll be playing it in the next few days. It will more than likely have to wait until the weekend as I've got a couple other things on my plate, but you can be sure I'll be posting about some online matches for the weekend.:tu

I just finished one season already(just seconds ago) and it differs from last years game in that it's only one season that you play. Last year, you could keep going on for another year before stuff starts to repeat. But this time around, it also appears a lot shorter than last years.

And if anyone is curious, Austin gets unlocked at the end of the season.

I finally cracked it open last night and played through a few exhibition matches. It's simply awesome. Excellent gameplay and the addition of the stamina meter really adds a ton of strategy as you just can't keep wailing on your opponent with high powered moves or you'll wear yourself out. The dirty moves are also fun to play around with since you can try to get away with all kinds of stuff including raking the eyes, groin shots etc. I love how the ref gets right up in your face after you pull one off too.

The interaction with the environments is even more improved with slightly better collision (though some issues still arise). The weapons really have some oomph in the game. When you wrap a chair around someones head, you know it hurts!

Unlike Dean, I'm not a fan of the black and white slowdown effect for the finishers, but they can easily be turned off so it's not an issue. I still have a ton to delve into, but I'm DYING to get online with this ASAP (I want to get some practice in first so I don't get my ass kicked immediately). If enough people pick up the game we may need to start the LCVG Wrestling Federation.:tu

I'll be posting an online game for the weekend if anyone wants to join me. Having Xbox Live chat would be a plus as we can chat over Live while playing the game.

I want try the CAW, but I usually suck at it. Maybe in a few weeks, there'll be tutorials like last year.

And I'm glad Austin and do the Million Dollar Dream in the game....I just have to figure out how to do it when I want to. I should have lost a match when out of nowhere, I had him in Booker T in the dream and that was it.

And I'm up for a game on Saturday if anyone is interested....I sold my Xbox, so no Live for me :(

• 2 weeks later...

Howie, take a look at this FAQ for Triple H over at Gamefaqs. It lists his move set of course, but the motions for pulling each of these moves off are going to be almost the same for each wrestler you play. It will give you a good starting off point for learning the ins and outs of the grapple system. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/wwe_svr_2006_triple_h.txt

I'm still working through my first season in the game in between my 360 play time. The voice acting is actually really damn good which suprised me. I love how things play out, and how you can choose to go heel/face at certain points. Very enjoyable. The gameplay is also the best of any wrestler out there. I've still not tried the online matches yet though. If time permits, I may throw up a game for the weekend. Are we able to do Fatal Four Ways online?