LCVG

Advent Rising PC?

Magness

• 2 weeks later...

IGN has thier review up for the PC version of Advent Rising. They gave the game a 7.9. Areas of interest for those holding out on the Xbox version:

Gamers who were originally interested in the Xbox release of Advent Rising will immediately want to know if the frame rate issues persist on the PC. Thankfully, the game now runs smoothly without slowdown even on a densely populated battlefield. My Radeon 9800 pro easily pushed the game along at even the higher settings. Effects like the way space is warped around Gideon's surge attack and the fiery sparks of explosions are impressive visual additions. However, due to the increased capability and higher expectations on the PC, this doesn't automatically bump up our rating of the graphics. The visuals are decent but never stunning and in some areas feel dated. Also, the game possesses texture work that is bland on a television and even duller on the higher resolution of a monitor.

There are a few areas in Advent Rising where scripted events refused to play out and I was forced to restart the level. There were also some sporadic problems with AI patterns and characters becoming stuck behind or inside of objects. These technical issues were by no means common occurrences, but should be noted for gamers who like to wander off of the set path.

I also love this line from IGN:

I said it before and I'll say it again, Advent Rising is a perfect example of a game that falls into our 7 range.

:) I'll leave that one alone.

Well , I haven't been able to find it in any stores yet but, at $29 for the PC version - it is alot easier to tollerate a few flaws... Per that IGN review, the framerate issue, sound drops and most other bugs have been fixed at least. As Romier pointed out from the IGN article though, some scripted events still don't trigger correctly and also the flick targeting systems has been virtually removed. This bothers me somewhat as I was planning to play it with a gamepad on PC :( I guess I'll try it with mouse/keyboard but, would've been nice to have both as an option.

Anyway, please post if any of you guys find it in-store somwehere and give first hand impressions pls.

Gamespot also has thier review up:

6.3 from Gamespot

Undoubtedly, Advent Rising is a better game on the PC than it was on the Xbox, but it still isn't especially good. Though it's hard to blame anyone for aspiring to create something that goes beyond the usual sci-fi action adventure sameness we've all grown accustomed to, Advent Rising rarely feels like it legitimately has such aspirations. It just seems like it thinks it's a lot more original and interesting than it actually is, ultimately coming off as kind of pretentious and pastiche. The game doesn't really do anything mechanically that you haven't seen before; the story never finds a way to grab you; it's pretty short overall; and though several of the technical problems from the Xbox version have been corrected here, it isn't enough to make it a compelling product. Although GlyphX and publisher Majesco are billing Advent Rising as the first episode in a trilogy, after playing through this game, we think it's unlikely you'll be interested enough to care about any possible sequels. Advent Rising is a disappointing effort on all fronts, and probably isn't worth your time.

Finally found an EBGames (not very close though) that had it in stock... Will post impressions later but, from those reviews, it appears we are getting a better version than the XBOX build but, not by much... And we loose flick targeting but its also only $29 on PC so take it with a grain of salt :)

O.k. Well, I'm not very far along in the game yet...(Mild Spoiler) Just crashed into Aylerian Sea and boarded the sinking ship but, here are some initial impressions.

The game is alot of fun so far. I like the story although it is VERY derivitive and I'll guarantee you've played or watched this type of story before. Thats not neccessarily bad though as it is told very well with great cinemas throughout the gameplay. I must say I really like the art style too. I've heard the comparissons to other games/movies and would agree with them - especially Titan A.E. If you liked the "look" of that movie you'll like Advent's art style. Character design, vehicles and environments are all reminiscient of Ttian A.E. The Seeker alien design is very similiar to the Covenant as has been mentioned but, they are different enough to pass them off as new I guess.

Gameplay-wise this is an action game through and through. Lots of baddies all at once and lots of fireworks. The weapon variety is pretty good with all the weapons having a different feel and grenades rock as well. :) Although once you start getting "powers" they pale in comparison. Sort of like the Jedi effect - all the other weapons are just not as cool or fun as the lightsaber or in this case your Powers. Vehicles are pretty cool but, nowhere near as good as Halo2, HL2 or any of those. I also have to say that pacing in this game is outstanding... I found myself rushing to the next area hoping there would be a big group of baddies to squash with my Powers or a new upgrade or another cinema. I should mention that load times when entering new areas are pretty quick on PC.

There have been a few technical problems already though. :( I have crashed to the desktop twice so far and I have had events fail to trigger on a couple occasions and had to restart at a previous checkpoint to get through a certain door or have an event occur. The "event failure" isn't as bad because there are numerous checkpoints so I didn't have to retread much but, any crash to desktop is unforgiveable. My impression is that it occurs less than on the XBOX version and with any luck a patch could remmedy these issues altogether. I have to say though that, a PC game that's released 4+ months after its XBOX version shouldn't be this buggy let alone have the same technical problems even if it is only $29.

Graphics and sound are solid with a GREAT soundtrack. What all the reviews are saying about "This is a soundtrack you would buy" is true and I will be getting the soundtrack later today. I have had sound stutter only once at this point in the game during a cutscene while the next level was loading. I only wish it had in-game 5.1 for PC but, theres no option for it as far as I can see :( The graphics are good with no slowdown even in very active areas. There have been several occasions so far where I am fighting off wave after wave of baddies with power effects and laser fire and explosions, battles going on in the background and everything happening all at once with absolutely no slowdown. However, as far as graphics quality goes, It is a little simplistic. The "effects" especially when you attain Powers are awesome and I'm sure most will love that aspect if you haven't already seen it in action. I really like the character models too although this opinion will vary from person to person depending on your impression of the charcter design. Textures are only of average quality and many of the environments have hallways that are indistinguishable from each other. This all fits with the art style though and I certainly don't mean to imply that it looks bad in any way, I just wouldn't say it's top notch though. I'm playing Advent at 1280x960 (weird res) with all options set to On or Full and draw distance set at about 75% on the slider. Framerates are smooth as silk on my Athlon64 3200, ATI X800XL with 1gb RAM.

Well thats it for now. Screenshot is cropped to 800x600 but, should give you an impression of the game on PC... I'm going to play some more today, buy the soundtrack and will follow up later. :rock

1280x960 (weird res)

No, that's a proper 4:3 resolution. 1280x1024 is the "weird" resolution. It just happens to be the native resolution of a great deal of LCD displays. ;)

Thanks for the impressions! Sounds like some improvement has been made. For 30 bucks, I may give it a buy.

Hey all,

Just wanted to post a few updates. I've crashed to desktop twice more in the game now and for whatever reason it did not "tag" me at my current checkpoint when the crashes occured (different spots both times) so I have had to repeat some sections of the game which is annoying to say the least. As far as the resolution - you're right Future and its really no big deal overall but, I was hoping to have a native 1280x1024 mode simply because it looks better on my flat panel (1:1 pixel mapping) :).

Other notes: I am futher along in the game now and have still not had any other audio stuttering, although I did have 1 cinema play at a very low framerate for some reason (this had no effect on audio). Mild Spoiler: The Council meeting when the Seekers interupt and everything goes to hell...

I guess my feeling on Advent (Up to this point) is similiar to what FutureVoid said in his post for the XBOX version... The technical problems with this title on both XBOX and now PC make it hard to find the amazing game underneath. I'll be keeping it but, I feel a little ripped even at $29 :(

This is probably my last post on this game as I've almost finished it... Maybe 10hrs tops gameplay so far and I believe I'm at the end or very close to it. Died a couple times at the... (mild spoiler) lava fields where you knock over a rock formation next to a Seeker ship to progress and hadn't had a technical problem for a few when upon reloading from checkpoint it placed me back at the beginning of this level (Sigh) :bh Restarted game hoping to correct the problem and my checkpoint progress was wiped out. Restarted the level again and almost back to where I was but dissappointing to say the least - especially at this point in the game.

Final post for Advent on PC from me... I finished the game - I was close to the end at last post. Final Boss was too easy... (mild spoiler) The "Ape Guy" was a softie... That mercenary with the jetpack you fight on the platform was tougher than this guy. Anyway, cool plot if a little borrowed, cool powers and gameplay when not marred by technical problems and cool graphic/character design even though it is clearly lifted from Titan A.E., Halo and others. I have to say in all honesty this game is not worth purchasing in its current state on PC though - even at $29. I would recommend rental only - whether on PC or XBOX or buy it at a place you KNOW you can return it to. Perhaps after a patch this game will be much better but, I kind of doubt it can all be fixed with one patch. Most PC games are at least "playable" out of the box (Vampire: Bloodlines comes to mind as a title that had issues out of the box but, it didn't crash to dektop - it was just "non-optimized" code - And, after it was patched, Vampire became a must own title).

Advent is just not one of those games... Too many crashes to desktop, too many lost savegames, too many times the controls quit responding. (Sigh...) :(

(Vampire: Bloodlines comes to mind as a title that had issues out of the box but, it didn't crash to dektop - it was just "non-optimized" code - And, after it was patched, Vampire became a must own title).

:thud Someone other than me played and loved Vampire: Bloodlines! Insanity this is! :D

Thanks for all of the thoughts on Advent Magness. I'll more than likely wait to see what patches are released before I jump into the PC version of the game.