LCVG

Dead or Alive 4 - New Information

Romier S

IGN has a new report straight from Famitsu on a new camera mode, as well as character info, and the reworking of the games fighting engine:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/638/638047p1.html

According to Itagaki, the fighting system in Dead or Alive 4 is meant to be based off of Dead or Alive ++, which, out of all the DOA games, he likes the most. Overall, the game is meant to be more offensive, and it even includes adjustments to the series' reversal system. Characters, on the whole, will be more personable in their moves, with ninjas, for instance, using ninja arts. This is actually an area of the game that was shown in the trailer, which had Kasumi running across a wall.

How different a gameplay experience can we expect from the title? Itagaki reveals that he recently got a chance to use the new Kasumi in a test fight. The character feels so different that he wasn't sure it was Kasumi.

In addition to these gameplay modifications, Team Ninja is working on new modes of play. A cameraman mode, which was previously hinted at by Itagaki, will actually make it into the game. You'll be able to set your shutter speed in order to simulate some of the blur effects you'll be seeing in the next set of shots that Team Ninja will make public (currently, you'll have to check out Famitsu or Famitsu Xbox for these shots). The blur effect is something that won't be a part of the game when you're fighting, apparently because it would be too difficult to actually play.

Sounds interesting. I definitely like the sound of the gameplay changes. Though considering how "offensive" Ultimate is, I was hoping Itagaki and crew would work on allowing folks to play a bit more defensively if they wanted to strategize a bit. Though that is still a distinct possibility. I'm definitely interested in hearing more.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait to see it in it's final form this Fall. If DOA3 was any indication, DOA4 might show us 90% of what to expect from the 360 graphic-wise right out of the gate. Ninja Gaiden 2 is reserved for the 100% mark later ;)
Too bad it looks like Ninja Gaiden 2 may be a PS3 exclusive. Part of me is sad, because the PS3 is such a big ? - and with the time I have lately, it would seem foolish to buy both a 360 and PS3 at this point. But if NG 2 is a PS3 exclusive, I might have to do that.

Too bad it looks like Ninja Gaiden 2 may be a PS3 exclusive. Part of me is sad, because the PS3 is such a big ? - and with the time I have lately, it would seem foolish to buy both a 360 and PS3 at this point. But if NG 2 is a PS3 exclusive, I might have to do that.

Chalk that up to irresponsible journalism on the part of sites like IGN, who when they can't get confirmation on NG2 on the 360, automatically, go, must be going to the ps3. I consider it highly unlikely that it would be a ps3 exclusive, some chance that it will appear on both the xbox and 360 and a good chance it will be a 360 exclusive. With Tecmo already having announced 5 games for the 360, it would make little sense to build up an installed base on the 360 with their support, only to turn around and make the crown jewel an exclusive for a competing system. I have a feeling that NG2 is a long ways off.

Chalk that up to irresponsible journalism on the part of sites like IGN
Not completely. Team Ninja actually corrected journalists when the said that Ninja Gaiden 2 was for Xb360. He actually made a point to correct them. Combine that with the fact that Team Ninja is working on some unnamed exclusives for the PS3, and the fact that Team Ninja has publically voiced discontent with the the 360's disc format as it applies to pre-rendered cut scenes (Something that is abundant in a NG game), it almost seems to make sense.

Is it possible that this word "offensive" was mistranslated? Because I previously read that DOA4 was going to be a lot more "defensive

Not sure to be honest Keith. I would certainly be happy if that were the case. More defensive strategy is something I'd definitely love to see. Though the article mentions characters being more "personalized" which could mean that certain characters could very well end up playing more defensively with the changes made to thier move sets.

*sigh*Talking about these changes makes me wish Suzuki would get the next interation of Virtua Fighter out there. Though I certainly don't mind playing Evolution for a awhile longer (along with Tekken 5 which is an excellent fighter in it's own right and Ultimate for it's online mode). If only VF4 or Tekken 5 had been released on Live.. :( Hell, add Soul Calibur 2 to that list.

• 1 month later...

Some new information surfacing on Dead or Alive has appeared over at gaming-age. Some of the gameplay changes have been revealed including:

- Counter window has been shortened... was 22 frames now looks more like 10 frames

- Ground game is much better. You can hit opponents while grounded with any low attack, or any attack that looks like it would hit grounded. You can also use certain attacks to catch tech rollers off the ground (ala Tekken).

- Lots of attacks grant significant frame advantage on block

- 23 characters

- 16 player lobbies online

- Game speed has been slightly increased

Here is a link to a site with almost 60 screenshots of the game:

http://www.gamedaily.com/fightinggamehub/screenshots.asp?gameid=2646

Very damn impressive.:tu I love the news on the counter time being shortened too. Should make the game quite a bit more strategic and challenging.

• 3 weeks later...
Well' date=' if the recent 1up.com feature didn't solidify Itagaki's ties to Microsoft, this news should do the trick:

Halo character to be featured as a secret playable character in Dead or Alive 4

Cortana anyone? She kicks high right?:)

SWEET. Too bad no Master Cheif. However, I wouldn't rule out the Arbiter or the Sarge. I'm leaning towards the Sarge.