LCVG

Shuttle Discovery News Thread...

JoeyN

Now retire that ancient vehicle and put something modern in production!

Yeah, the Shuttle has never been as cost-effective as NASA imagined it would be.

It's funny, I vividly remember being at the library looking at conceptual renderings of the shuttle in the late 70's and being wonderstruck at the possibility of a space craft that could return to earth and now we are talking about how old and decrepit it is. Guess I'm getting old myself. ;)

Thought I heard something on public radio last week that they want a new vehicle in use sometime in the 2010's. Unfortunately, it will probably be much diff't in design that the shuttle an cannot do something like carry up ISS modules, so the vurent fleet is still needed badly at this time if that thing is ever going to get done.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One thing on my "To Do Before I Die" list is to witness a launch first-hand. I'm not an emotional guy at all, but get choked up every time I watch the launch sequence of Apollo 13. It must be breath-taking.

Not to sound too cheesy, but it's still awfully great to be an American (not intended to be a slight to our friends across the pond).

According to CNN.com Discovery has been given the 100% go that it will be safe to land. No need to do any shuttle repairs before coming home. Good news, as they can concentrate on fixing the rail system on the ISS so they can restart construction next shuttle launch.

They also mention NASA is going to put up video from camera mounted on the reusable booster rockets.

• 5 months later...

I watched it last Night on HDNET.. They Cut away from the Blackhawks/Wild Game to show the Launch.. Every time I watch the launch its the same , Silence to soak in what I'm watching. Its the First time I've watched a Night Launch and It as beautiful or even more then the day time ones.