LCVG

Mighty Mouse! - Apple releases a two button and more mouse

kelley

There's a review of the Mighty Mouse at arstechnica.

I didn't realize that the squeeze buttons work almost identically to the way the squeeze-click works now on Apple's "Pro" mouse...which I don't like. The position I have to hold my hands in is not comfortable.

This alone probably means I will never buy this mouse, even when it goes wireless (unless they change the design). I suspect that Logitech will waste no time copying the scroll-ball (which gets high marks in the review), and I'll just move to that mouse someday.

Are the sides a single 'squeeze' button, then? My Intellimouse has me far too used to using the two side buttons independantly as forward and back buttons.

It's a single button, yes. I'm in the same boat, just too used to using the tilt-wheel as back/forward in the browser.

My Apple Mighty Mouse arrived. I'll refrain from any overtly negative comments since it was free.

Not used to the tracking. Some mice exaggerate really slow and really fast movements, which doesn't help me at all when I'm doing Photoshop or Illustrator work.

The tracking wheel found on most PC mice is now a track ball that can move left and right as well. Works pretty well. Pressing on this while clicking can operate as a third button.

The two buttons on the side are squeezed to operate a fourth function of some sort. I have it set to open all the Expos? windows in the current app.

Overall this thing's pretty damn gimmicky but it's a decent mouse. Worth $50? Probably not. I may get sick of it in a day or two and go back to the Logitech one. I've already left clicked once and had it register as a right click, but it was only once. Quite frankly I can't see how the hell they engineered this thing to be a solid piece of plastic like their usual mice and yet be able to recognize a right click versus a left one.

Not used to the tracking. Some mice exaggerate really slow and really fast movements, which doesn't help me at all when I'm doing Photoshop or Illustrator work.

Are you sure it's the mouse that does tracking, or the OS/software/driver?

I tried the Mighty Mouse over the weekend at the Apple store and I'm pretty neutral on it. On the one hand the two-button functionality is nice, the fact that it's done with one large button is interesting, but kind of superfluous. Does it really matter if the button is a single surface? Not really.

The scroll-ball is cool, although i found horizontal scrolling to be annoying because the speed seems to be scaled to how much of the window content are obscured off the sides. For example, if 10% of the window contents are outside the window boundary, then the scrolling will be slow, but if there is 50% of the contents outside, scrolling is faster...kind of picky, but I didn't like the feeling of it scrolling sideways at differing speeds. I should say i did this test in Safari, but I'd hate it if this was the case in Photoshop...it would drive me crazy.

The two-buttons from one surface is done through a touch-sensitive device under the surface of the button. I've heard this can cause problems if, like me, you normally rest your fingers on the buttons even when you aren't pressing them. Like there are times when the mouse won't register a left click, if your right finger is resting on the right button...or something like that. If that's true, it's just plain stupid.

Are you sure it's the mouse that does tracking, or the OS/software/driver?

Probably the driver... I was using a Logitech mouse before and whatever speed my hand went, the pointer went. I've just noticed that some mice move faster than normal when you move the mouse fast and excruciatingly slow when you move slower.