LCVG

Batman DVD Anthology announced/Batman Begins DVD

Romier S

Very cool to finally see the first two Burton films getting new transfers and a slew of extras. Here is the full announcement and specs from The Digital Bits:

Warner Home Video has finally announced the DVD release of Batman: The Motion Picture Anthology 1989-1997 on 10/18 (SRP $79.92). The box set will contain new 2-disc special editions of Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever and Batman & Robin (each 2-disc set will also be available separately for SRP $26.99). All four films on disc will feature new digital transfers (anamorphic widescreen video, of course), with audio in BOTH Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 surround sound. All four films are the original theatrical cuts. English and French audio options will be available, with English, French and Spanish subtitles (feature film only). Overall, the box set will include more than 18 hours of new bonus material. Let's run down the extras, film by film...

The Batman: Special Edition will feature audio commentary by director Tim Burton, 4 documentaries (some multi-part) including On the Set with Bob Kane, Legends of the Dark Knight: The History of Batman, Shadows of the Bat: The Cinematic Saga of the Dark Knight (featuring Part 1 - The Road to Gotham City, Part 2 - The Gathering Storm and Part 3 - The Legend Reborn) and Beyond Batman (featuring Visualizing Gotham: The Production Design of Batman, Building the Batmobile, Those Wonderful Toys: The Props and Gadgets of Batman, Designing the Batsuit, From Jack to the Joker and Nocturnal Overtures: The Music of Batman), 3 Prince music videos (for Batdance, Partyman and Scandalous), 2 profile galleries (The Heroes and The Villains), the Batman: The Complete Robin Storyboard Sequence featurette, and the film's theatrical trailer.

The Batman Returns: Special Edition will feature audio commentary by director Tim Burton, 3 documentaries (some multi-part) including The Bat, the Cat and the Penguin, Shadows of the Bat: The Cinematic Saga of the Dark Knight (featuring Part 4 - The Dark Side of the Knight) and Beyond Batman (featuring Gotham City Revisited: The Production Design of Batman Returns, Sleek, Sexy and Sinister: The Costumes of Batman Returns, Making up the Penguin, Assembling the Arctic Army, Bats and Mattes and Dark Nights: The Visual Effects of Batman), Siouxsie and the Banshees' Face to Face music video, 2 more profile galleries (The Heroes and The Villains), and the film's theatrical trailer.

The Batman Forever: Special Edition will feature audio commentary by director Joel Schumacher, deleted scenes, 3 documentaries (some multi-part) including Riddle Me This: Why is Batman Forever?, Shadows of the Bat: The Cinematic Saga of the Dark Knight (featuring Part 5 - Reinventing a Hero) and Beyond Batman (featuring Out of the Shadows: The Production Design of Batman Forever, The Many Faces of Gotham City, Knight Moves: The Stunts of Batman Forever, Imaging Forever: The Visual Effects of Batman Forever and Scoring Forever: The Music of Batman Forever), Seal's Kiss from a Rose music video, 2 more profile galleries (The Heroes and The Villains), and the film's theatrical trailer.

Finally, the Batman & Robin: Special Edition will feature audio commentary by director Joel Schumacher, a deleted scene (Alfred's Lost Love), 2 documentaries (both multi-part) including Shadows of the Bat: The Cinematic Saga of the Dark Knight (featuring Part 6 - Batman Unbound) and Beyond Batman (featuring Bigger, Bolder, Brighter: The Production Design of Batman & Robin, Maximum Overdrive: The Vehicles of Batman & Robin, Dressed to Thrill: The Costumes of Batman & Robin, Frozen Freaks and Femme Fatales: The Makeup of Batman & Robin and Freeze Frame: The Visual Effects of Batman & Robin), 4 music videos (for the Smashing Pumpkins' The End is the Beginning is the End, Jewel's Foolish Games, R. Kelly's Gotham City and Bone Thugs-N-Harmony's Look into My Eyes), 2 more profile galleries (The Heroes and The Villains), and the film's theatrical trailer.

I'm very glad Warner will be releasing the films individually also. I have no interest in owning Batman Forever or Batman and Robin. Some more good news is that an announcement is expected very soon for the Batman Begins DVD which is tentatively set to release the same day as the Anthology set (October 18th).

I have a hardtime believing they will release Batman in DTS though. This is warner we're talking about.

Warner were one of the first DVD producers to use DTS. Twister is an early example I have in my own collection. Sounds effing fantastic. Now they haven't exactly kept up that tradition, but it isn't out of the question.

Sean

edit: And I'm also looking forward to picking up Begins and the Burton films.

Just to clarify, that doesn't include Batman Begins, does it?

Are you asking me if Batman Begins belongs in the "series" or are you asking me if I think Batman Begins "sucks bigtime"? If it is the first question my answer is of course it does. It belongs in the series just as the prequals to Starwars belong in that series. If it is the latter question I clearly stated I will be getting Batman Begins as well as the 2 Burton films. The rest of the Batman movies blow hardcore chunks. :)

Finally. I've been waiting for a Spec Ed of Batman since the original DVD came out in 1997.

I know. That original Warner release of Batman is just horrid. Everything from the menus to the transfer are not so hot.

Cyberwoo;

That's what I get for quickly trying to skim through a thread during a break at work. In other words... gotcha.

As for myself, I can see a purchase of Batman Begins, but that's it. After seeing that film, all other Batman movies seem shallow in comparison, even the Burton films.

I'm curious about the delay of announcing Batman Begins, and whether this is down to them not wanting the set of the old four to overshadow it or Warner want to make a big song and dance about it possibly being the first DVD/HD-DVD hybrid. Batman Begins is down on their HD DVD launch list, but I'd much rather see it as a standalone release. I'm interested to see what they do.

I'll get the two Burton ones, but not until the next format. No rush. I'm very glad that there's a music featurette on the Batman disc.

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Nananananana BATMAN........Begins. :)

18th of October in both single disc and deluxe edition two-disc forms.

"The only extras on the single-disc will be a Batman Begins Mobile Game Demo and some Weblinks.

The two-disc deluxe edition will carry that, along with a Genesis of the Bat: Batman Incarnations from the Mid-1980s to the Present doc, a Journey Begins: Creative Concepts, Story Development and Casting featurette, a Shaping Mind and Body: Fighting Style featurette, a Gotham City Rises: Production Design featurette, a Cape and Cowl: The New Batsuit featurette, and another featurette on the new Batmobile. Completing the package will be a Path to Discovery: Filming in Iceland featurette, aanother featurette on the Monorail Chase Sequence, a Confidential Files Character/Weapons Gallery, an exclusive 72-page comic book containing the very first Batman story, a Batman: The Man Who Falls feature on the classic story that inspired the film, and a chilling excerpt entitled Batman: The Long Halloween that also inspired the film

Cover art...etc up at DVD Answers

I can just about make out the screams for a boycott from HTF members about the old four getting DTS but not Begins.... :)

Daniel

• 1 month later...

Not that anyone here was likely to delay getting Batman Begins on Tuesday but according to my importer Warner has pulled the plug on production of the region one 2 disc release. It will still be available to buy on Tuesday, but it is now – apparently - a limited edition due to reasons unknown (though suspected to be regarding the comic book packaged with the release) so when it’s sold out with dealers, both stores & online, they will not be able to restock.

Mmm, it was Craig who alerted people to it as it goes. Mine's been processing since Tuesday which is annoying but he informs me it should be in the post box early next week. They've got over 1000 extra in stock so they don't seem to be short of them at the moment, I don't think any dealers will be for a while, but as I say when they're gone it doesn't seem Warner will be restocking supply (though they may do without the comic in the new year).

So we're not getting one from Craig?

Nono, there are some left. Mine should be with me Tuesday or Wednesday (despite ordering it on the 30th of last month). If you order one right away you should get it next week too. Had we known about all this earlier I’d probably have gone for the single disc too since Craig has had that for almost two weeks now.

By the way, this is probably as good a time as any to alert people to the sneaky trick Fox and Lucasfilm are playing with Episode 3 next month. They are deliberately shipping low numbers to retailers so as that they can boast of the title selling out within its first week or so of it hitting shelves in the US. It's wise for anyone wanting episode 3 to order it online asap really or face potentially being left without a copy until Fox see fit to send out more stock in the run up to Christmas. Unlike the Batman situation this is merely a VERY cheeky marketing ploy.

Daniel

I think they'll ship more (Episode IIIs) as we move into December. They just want to boast about first week sales really. I think they fear having had six months to reflect on it there will be a pocket of buyers out there who can't justify owning the movie, and I'm sure there's a lot of truth to that.... It’s the Shrek2 effect really. Essentially since Shrek 2 did well theatrically and not so well on DVD (under studio definitions of what constitutes as good sales figures) they're all in yet another panic over the most inane issue. So basically, understocking is better than overstocking in their mind as it keeps the disc in demand and gives the impression that a title is more popular and desirable.

Daniel

PS: My Batman shipped about an hour ago. COULD be with me Saturday but I'll play it safe and expect it sometime next week. Nice to know it's on its way at least.

It’s the Shrek2 effect really. Essentially since Shrek 2 did well theatrically and not so well on DVD (under studio definitions of what constitutes as good sales figures) they're all in yet another panic over the most inane issue.

Forgive me for asking, but doesn't this also have to do with the fact that they overproduced the Shrek 2 DVDs? I seem to recall Dreamworks had a lot of returns from retailers that were unable to unload the glut of extra copies occupying shelf space. Perhaps Fox and Lucasfilm just want to make sure that they don't run into the same problem with Episode III.

That's precisely what I am saying, Jeff. They over estimated demand in thinking more people liked the film enough some months later to want to own it on DVD. With Episode III they're not really going for even a realistic sales ground but deliberately under shipping to quite a low degree since, as I say, it gives the illusion the title is more popular and it's great for them to say "hey this many stores sold out within five days of release".