LCVG

F.E.A.R. Discussion thread

Chris F

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, this is a pretty impressive game. Graphics are top notch on my rig, and runs REAL smooth with the recommended settings.

Few things I noticed that impressed me:

The AI - Guys evading, looking for cover, working together. I had a guy jump through a window to come get me.

Ability to see yourself - Look down, see your feet. Look down in a pool of water, see your complete reflection.

Slow motion - Tap the CTRL key and activate a slow motion effect that looks REAL good.

Weapon feedback - The weapons feel powerful, and pack a real "oomph".

Physics - Bodies flying everywhere.

All in all, very impressive demo. I wasn't really feeling the multiplayer demo released a few months ago, but I'm really looking forward to the full single player game.

Awesome. Yeah it seems like an obvious word but that is the best description I can give the demo. The storyline is immediately well presented. The voice acting is excellent and though you only get to see certain cutscenes, you are given enough so that you can't help but be intrigued. Also, there are some really creepy sequences to be found here as Chris mentioned. Just wait until you reach the final hallway right before the demo ends! :thud I swear I almost jumped out of my seat.

The firefights are also damn fun to partake in. The slow motion mechanic is well implemented and it never quite gets old seeing your character do a flying drop kick on an enemy while slow motion is engaged. :tu The weapons are damn brutal too! The pistol you start out with is powerful enough to put a freaking hole in the wall. Try lining up a headshot on the first enemy you encounter. I blew the guy to pieces with one shot! There is a good selection of weaponry to choose from in the demo, along with two varieties of grenades which pack a serious punch.

The enemy AI as mentioned is excellent. Enemies will find cover, strafe away from shots, work together to try and flank your position. For crying out loud, if you are landing too many shots on thier body armor they will jump through a window to safety! They will also use grenades without hesitation and they are pretty damn good at aiming those little bastards.

My only real complaint about the game is that the engine is a real beast to run. I'm getting pretty good/decent performance at 1024x768 with 2xaa and 4xaf. Turning off the AA helps a little (not enough to outwiegh the benefits of having it on) but having AF makes very little difference in performance so why not use it ya know? I allowed the game to auto-detect my settings for those wondering.

The game does stutter in certain areas post save (very similiar to the initial issues with Half-Life 2 as it loaded in a new section). Also the framerate can take a bit of a hit in heavy lighting areas. Thankfully firefights are very smooth for me and considering the fact that I'm running on a 9800 pro, I'm happy that I can run the game at playable framerates. Still, I would have loved better performance and a little more optimization, but in the end this is a demo and I've no doubt we'll see better on the final release.

A definite purchase for me. Also, I hope to god Monolith decides to do a next gen console port on this (Hopefully after they finish thier work on Condemned). I would love to see this game running in 720p on a nice big Hi-Def set. :rock

This demo creeped me out! Love it :)

Sounds like they mixed for 5.1 :tu

And wow, this game can bring a 6800 GT to its knees! The auto-detected settings sucked for me so I went tweaking. Here's a few tips that helped me keep the framerate high with most of the eye candy still on:

- Reflections and Displays - Maximum will hurt around water. Minimum looks like no reflections at all (fast but ugly). Medium's cool.

- Volumetric Light Density - The only volumetric lights I know of in the demo are early on at the beginning of that hallway where light is coming in through a window with shutters, and at Maximum density it hurts. If your framerate takes a dive when you look into that hallway then you know what I mean. Reducing the volumetric light density helps a lot there, and it still looks great on Medium or Minimum.

- Max Hardware Sounds - Read the description of this setting when you hover your mouse over it. Minimum sounds good enough to me...

And if you still want better performance you've got options. Higher resolutions hurt a lot. AA hurts a lot. AF hurts a teeny bit. If you have to, lowering shader detail helps a lot (but you lose lots of nice effects).

P.S. Where's the damn widescreen support? :mad:

Downloading now...

After all the great buzz this game has gotten I'm rather shocked it hasn't yet been announced for a next gen console. It seems like it would translate to a console controller very well...hopefully a deal can happen there.

P.S. Where's the damn widescreen support?

Ugh are you serious? Now I dont even feel like downloading it. I lost my spot in line on one of those stupid fileplanet/shack/whatever.com sites and didnt have time to go back and download it. Oh well now I wont bother. Every game that comes out should support widescreen out of the box.

Originally Posted by Covak

P.S. Where's the damn widescreen support?

Ugh are you serious? Now I dont even feel like downloading it. I lost my spot in line on one of those stupid fileplanet/shack/whatever.com sites and didnt have time to go back and download it. Oh well now I wont bother. Every game that comes out should support widescreen out of the box.

Don't let that stop you Cyberwoo! It's not the perfect demo, but it's a game worth trying out, for sure.

I noticed in the read me that they recommend 2GB of RAM, which is ridiculous really. They also say not to go over 1024x768 resolution on any current-gen graphics card. I saw a post in their forum saying that there are issues with ATI cards and that ATI is working on a patch, also.

I noticed in the read me that they recommend 2GB of RAM, which is ridiculous really. They also say not to go over 1024x768 resolution on any current-gen graphics card.

The engine is definitely beautiful, but not that nice. Not enough to ask for such things really (especially that 2gig requirement). I would prefer to see some further optimazation done before release and I hope that Monolith does so. (though considering thier track record in the FPS department I'm not worried). I'm curious if the game is using 3.0 shaders and if that may be causing some issues with the ATI cards (as far falling back to 2.0 or 1.1).

Also, as far as Widescreen support:

Confirmed resolutions:

1280x1024, 5:4 - OK (some overscan)

1280x720, 16:9 - OK (some overscan)

720x480, OK

1600x600, dualhead span - OK (seems to have correct aspect ratio and field of view)

2048x768, dualhead span - OK

Locate settings.cfg found in here for instance

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Monolith Productions\FEARSPDemo

Just change the settings config file to your desired resolution. Here is a screenshot:

F.E.A.R. Widescreen

It's not the perfect solution, but it should help the widescreen owners out there (and I'd hate to think someone would miss out on a fantastic game for lack of widescreen support which can be done decently with some settings changes).

I turned off V-sync, which is no problem since it never goes fast enough to cause tearing anyway, and shut down all background apps & it's running good enough now on my system, although I hope it runs better than this considering it's at sort of medium/high settings & doesn't look super-duper or anything. The particle effects, dust, warping, etc. all look pretty good, and the facial details are excellent but it's nothing special to have a low-ish framerate like it does.

Fun game, though. I really like some of the things the AI does, as well as some of the sound, although the weapon sounds are weak...richochets sound cool behind/around you, but some of the weapons sound a little weak, IMO. Some good scares...

If it comes to a next-gen console, I'll buy it, but on the PC...I'll need to see some better performance before buying it. (I'm not upgrading my PC)

Wow...great game! Wasn't expecting it to be this good. I am running at 1152x648 (Thanks for the tips on locating the .cfg FutureVoid!) and used the auto config thing to setup the graphics settings. Most of them on on max with some of the heavy hitter effects on medium. Runs flawlessly and looks great on my 16:9 tv. here are my spec if you are wondering:

CPU = P4 3gig

Ram = 1gig

Video card = Radeon 9800 pro

As you can see I've got nothing extreme for a gaming rig and the game looks and plays great. The sound is excellent, weapons pack a punch, has good physics, looks good...in other words it is everything you would want in an FPS. Not to mention the story is intruiging. I like the horror/supernatural take on the game. It gets pretty spooky at times. This has gone from a "I'll wait for reviews" title to a "must buy at release" title for me. Good stuff. Anyway back to the demo...

Damn the A.I. in this game is impressive. I saw a guy literally crawl underneath an overturned shelf that was propped up on a wall because it was the only way to get at me. Of course while he was crawling it was easy to dispatch of him since he couldn't draw his weapon.. I thought it was scripted until I reloaded and played through it again. This time the same guy spotted me earlier, took some shots at me and then took cover behind a wall when I returned fire. One of his buddies during this little exchange managed to flank me from behind and dropped me like a bad habit. All I could say was "cool!". Later on in the demo I saw guys jumping through windows/openings in an attempt to get cover or get a better angle on me.

Played it on max settings 1280x960 4xaa 8xAF w/o sweating. What a nice FPS this is.

FWIW' date=' I do have a 6800GTOC along with a 3500+AMD64 and 1 gig of ram. No issues whatsoever.

Very interesting game.[/quote']

At those settings I've got to ask, how the heck do you define "w/o sweating" and "No issues whatsoever."? I have the same machine, and I'd guess that at those settings the game would absolutely crawl (well below 30fps) in spots.

I know I'm a framerate whore, but what the heck framerates do you image quality whores consider acceptable these days?

how the heck do you define "w/o sweating" and "No issues whatsoever."?

No hiccups or slow downs. No stalling. I don't really consider this game to be a hog at all compared to some. EQ2 was the only game I can remember that gave me some issues and that was because the game was designed for hardware not even out. This game was really no sweat compared to running Eq2 with the goodies on.

No hiccups or slow downs. No stalling. I don't really consider this game to be a hog at all compared to some. EQ2 was the only game I can remember that gave me some issues and that was because the game was designed for hardware not even out. This game was really no sweat compared to running Eq2 with the goodies on.

I just tried max settings 1280x960 (with AF knocked down to 8x). I couldn't stand it for long. A pretty solid 12 fps!

You sure you're playing at those settings??

Nice, I tried this demo out this morning and was very impressed.

The enemy A.I. is very sharp and the weapons pack a nice punch (damn that shotgun was a mother). Not too scary, although there was one scene on a ladder that freaked me out (first part - creepy, second part- damn scary!). Looking forward to the whole thing.

I'm hoping the final version will have a little bit more in terms of environmental damage, as I was unloading shotgun blasts into radios and other small items with disappointingly small effect.