LCVG

Anyone gonna discuss Madden 2006, or is it taboo?

I'm upset that I won't be hearing Dan Stevens and Peter O'Keefe calling the football games I play this year. I'm upset that in order to play a game baed on this year's rosters, I'll have to fork over $50 instead of the $20 I paid last year. Finally, I'm upset that the NFL decided (in its infinite wisdom), that they'd do better by selling exclusive rights to EA.

Having said all that, I really enjoy football video games. And, even though I thought the 2K series was more enjoyable, I've always liked the Madden games, too. I'm going to be getting Madden '06 this year for the Xbox (and then probably for the 360 later this year, if it comes out).

I just read a review at IGN. I didn't pay attention to the reviewer's name, and I don't know the history of how this person reviews games. That's really not my point. It seems like this year is the first year that IGN has given an honest review of the game, and I find that odd, becuase this is the first year that there's no competition. I say that their review is "honest", because they commented on what they considered to be flaws in that game, instead of the incessant butt-kissery that usually finds its way into reviews of Madden football. Overall, I'm pleased to read some opinions from paid reviewers that aren't overflowing with praise.

Even though I'm going to miss NFL2K...I'll be in line to pick up my copy of Madden on Tuesday.

(I've still got 2K5, and I'm never going to get rid of it!)

and I think I'll hold out for the inevitable X360 release.

I'm in the same boat. Plus I'm having too much fun with NCAA 2006 to even think about Madden right now. I just hope they can somehow let us import draft classes into the 360 version.

From the sound of it 06 on xbox hasnt changed much.

I'd say the 'quarterback vision' is a pretty damn big change. Not sure if it's a change that will go over very well but it is a significant addition.

It's a neat idea but I have the feeling it's going to be overly complex for most players.

It seems like this year is the first year that IGN has given an honest review of the game, and I find that odd, becuase this is the first year that there's no competition.

Perhaps it's because there's no competition this year that this is the case. It's easy to compare similar, yet different games (ie Madden and 2k) and take a side, give one a 9.5 and the other a 9.0 or something. This year they have nothing to compare it to BUT the previous year.

I'm sure the lack of improvements this year are probably more to do with prepping the next gen rather than the lack of competition. It's just convienient for them that they can put out a somewhat lackluster XB/PS2 version without fear of 2K putting out something far superior for less.

Next year, we'll see the lack on innovation because there's no competition.

First person view, etc, etc, etc. Every year football games come up with some new gimic for people to buy it. Ill settle for better controls, better graphics/framerate and better franchise/season modes.

No offense, but I don't think you're up on what qb vision is (or is trying to do). I think it less a gimick than a control scheme for very advanced players to make video game football more realistic. It has a very real chance to change the game on both sides of the ball.

I just worry that it's more complicated than most people will be willing to accept. Perhaps they'll tweak it for the x360 release.

Actually i do know what is about. Ive seen pictures and video of it many times over the last few months. There is a reason basic control in football games hasnt changed over the years. It wasnt broken to begin with. Ill reserve final judgement till i see it live in action. However its not getting me out there to buy the game

Hey all. I know I haven't been by here all that much of late, but I wrote up something about Football game reviews a few weeks ago but after the Madden release it makes sense to post it here.

http://www.semiliterategamer.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=3&page=1

If you don't feel like taking a look, it's a trend analysis of football game reviews at IGN and Gamespot covering the Playstation through the Playstation 2. I included 5 different games so you get a good feel for the trends.

My problem with sports games is that their reviews are far too favorable year after year. Picture Unreal Tournament using the same engine for the last 5 or 6 years and never having their review scores suffer for it. It just wouldn't happen.

Personally, I don't think this years review is any more honest than any other years considering the fact that they didn't like the new features and yet still made the game an editor's choice. If you asked me, they made it one because it's the only NFL game this year.

Glen

Actually i do know what is about. Ive seen pictures and video of it many times over the last few months. There is a reason basic control in football games hasnt changed over the years. It wasnt broken to begin with. Ill reserve final judgement till i see it live in action. However its not getting me out there to buy the game

Fair enough.

I was just concerned about your comparison to the first-person gimmick.

I bought it, played it for two hours, then ebayed it for $43.

I'm such a sucker, told myself all summer not to buy it and bought it anyway. To each his own, but 2K5 looks and plays much better for me. The players all walk like they have a board inserted down their pants. The tackling animations are not as varied as 2K5. The running game doesn't feel as 'fun', and don't get me started on the new passing cone.

Maybe Blitz will be a fun game, who knows.

EA still sucks.

I bought it' date=' played it for two hours, then ebayed it for $43.

I'm such a sucker, told myself all summer not to buy it and bought it anyway. To each his own, but 2K5 looks and plays much better for me. The players all walk like they have a board inserted down their pants. The tackling animations are not as varied as 2K5. The running game doesn't feel as 'fun', and don't get me started on the new passing cone.

Maybe Blitz will be a fun game, who knows.

EA still sucks.[/quote']

I got a laugh off this thread at cheapassgamer:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63410

EA bragging about how they had record Madden sales this year, saying how good the game was (and failing to mention they have no competition) :lmfao

"Gamers were demanding the best Madden NFL Football ever this year and

the response at retail indicates that we delivered the game that

everyone wanted"

I should have posted sooner, but I am very busy these days.

Here are my impressions, in bullet form....I'm tired....these are in no order...

• I like the 2K series better overall, especially the presentation.
  • John Madden hasn't recorded new commentary in years, and what's in the game sucks. Some of the stuff he says makes me really scratch my head. I miss Dan Stevens and Peter O'Keefe. I loved the trivial facts about the players, the stats they gave out, and how you could play several games without hearing the same crap over and over and over and over and over.
  • I'm beginning to enjoy the challenge of using the vision cone for passing in Madden.
  • I like the defense better in Madden than in 2K. If feel like I have better control of the players. Switching players is more intelligent in Madden than in 2K.
  • The running game in Madden has gotten better over the years, but still isn't as good as 2K.
  • The passing game is a little better in Madden, IMO. Not always off the receiver's hands. When you miss a pass, it's usually because the DB swats it away.
  • Playmaker controls are handy, if I could remember the 1000 ways to use them.
  • Madden still feels more like "video game football" than real football.
  • I miss Chris Berman's halftime show. Madden has squat.
  • They left out the bit from Madden 2005 where if you use the new "hit stick" and miss a tackle, John Madden scolds you. (Thank goodness)
  • How in the name of all that's holy do you consistently throw the ball on the harder difficulty levels?
  • I hate the EA version of kicking field goals and kickoffs compared to 2K.
  • I fumble too many punt returns in Madden. I have to fair catch every time, and even then my guy can't hold on to it.
  • The Training camp minigames are useless.
  • I miss the VIP feature. (Except for playing against Steve-O. *shudders*)
  • The graphics in 2K are better looking, IMO - though the 360 version of Madden will prolly look really sweet.
  • The amimations in Madden aren't as bad as people are saying. The hit stick tackles and truck stick moves are pretty realistic looking.

Overall, I so badly wish there were an NFL 2K6. However, Madden is a good game, and there is fun to be had. It's eating spaghetti at your friend's house when your mom makes the best spaghetti. It's still good, but it's not the same.

I have some ideas that would make Madden football (and any other football games, for that matter) more enjoyable. Maybe I'll start a thread sometime to discuss them.

MMMmmmm. Spaghetti.

Will there be a 2006 roster update for NFL2k5?

• 4 weeks later...