LCVG

All hail mighty Kong!

Very impressive. I'm not one to typically go in on a licensed game like this, but since the team behind Beyond Good & Evil are behind it, I'm willing to seriously consider it. It's not a definite purchase for me yet, but I will certainly be keeping an eye on this one.

This is surely the 360 or PC version in action.

If that's the 360 version I'm not upgrading.

It looks good, for a current gen Xbox title but not next-gen by any means. I can totally see the current Xbox doing everything in each of those movies. Looking at the low res textures used in the surrounding foliage (see the "walls" kong does his prince of persia jumps from) that is the Xbox version. Also, there's not really a great deal going on on-screen. The raft movie is probably the best example (of the three) of managing resources by keeping on-screen animations and AI to a minimum.

I think it looks good though, and the Beyond Good & Evil pedigree has me interested enough to check it out.

but since the team behind Beyond Good & Evil are behind it, I'm willing to seriously consider it

That remains the most appealing aspect for me too.

It looks good, for a current gen Xbox title but not next-gen by any means. I can totally see the current Xbox doing everything in each of those movies. Looking at the low res textures used in the surrounding foliage (see the "walls" kong does his prince of persia jumps from) that is the Xbox version. Also, there's not really a great deal going on on-screen. The raft movie is probably the best example (of the three) of managing resources by keeping on-screen animations and AI to a minimum.

You might well be right. It's some of the water effects and the fluid animation of everything that make me think it is that little be beyond what we've seen this generation - but then we are seeing some dazzling things with the current consoles so late in their lives. The very encouraging new hands on feature at Gamespot does note that they only got to play the PS2 and Xbox version, so the above may not be next gen footage after all.

Gamespot hands on:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/kingkong/preview_6130562.html

Daniel

Have an actual read of the Gamespot preview too, because it sounds like for the most part it is a living breathing island to run around in and interact with. I'm not yet drawn into thinking this is going to end up as linear as some perceive from the videos.

You'll be able to take full advantage of the world around you if you use your brain. One of the big things that Ubi is touting is the game's "food chain," which is on good display throughout these levels. Raptors can be distracted if you hit a nearby bat so that it falls, dead or wounded, near them. At the same time, bats can be distracted if you harpoon yourself some insects on a spear (creating a makeshift shish kebab) and pitch the treat past them. Another useful aspect of your surroundings is the level of interactivity. You can pick up spears or sticks lying around to defend yourself, or if you're lucky, you can use them in combination with fire to either increase the amount of damage they do when hitting an enemy or set nearby shrubbery ablaze. -- Gamespot

....it's feeling like an impressively solid original game, which isn't something you can always say about movie games. There's a lot to be impressed by here in terms of new ideas and gameplay mechanics. -- Gamespot

There's potential here for Ancel and his team to really deliver, and having him at the helm is still the game’s greatest boast at this time I think.

Daniel

Eurogamer has another encouraging preview.

It's not a question of chucking spears forever. Like Beyond Good & Evil itself to some extent, it adjusts and changes what it's doing. You soon realise that bones serve just as well as discarded spears. One particular walkway is plagued by winged creatures that refuse to let you cross, and although you could conceivably fight them off, a bit of foraging nearby unearths some fly-like creatures; these can be speared on whatever comes to hand, and when hurled the creatures will follow the scent. You do find guns of course, but these rarely hold up for long - there's a plane circling the island dropping ammo boxes for you (you see it now and then, swooping past you through valleys), but it's not enough to keep you permanently stocked

Jackson, Ancel and their teams are collaborating on something that feels important. We've played it for around an hour, and each section offered something new; some directorial flourish or shift in mechanics; some new horror drawn from the film and, in a nice touch, from the ranks of creatures created by Jackson's WETA company but not used in the film; and the sense of being there is paramount.

Read the full preview here.

Ubisoft has also confirmed the game will be a 360 launch title.

Daniel

• 1 month later...