LCVG

Depeche Mode's new single

kelley

Damn a little birdie dropped off the latest DM single to me, called Precious. After giving it a few spins I am just going to go out there and say this song ranks top 10 all time greatest DM songs EVER, with more listens it could breach top 5. Yes it's that good.

I was a huge DM fan in the 80s, but less of a fan of their newer stuff. Martin Gore is a really good song writer though, no question.

Same here. Violator had a HUGE influence on me musically. I was 15-16 yrs young when that album came out. Damn that just doesn't seem right. I've listened to that album so many times yet I can still listen to it today and it sounds fresh. Hasn't lost any of its luster one bit. One of the best albums ever...period. I agree some of their new stuff has been a little hit n miss. I really like the Ultra album though. Some really good tunes on there.

Check out this new single. I think you'll like it.

Yes, Violator is amazing. I also have a fondness for Music for the Masses...first time I listened to that (the cassette tape, bleh) I bought it the day it was released, then went to my local arcade and played Galaga while I listened to it twice through on my Walkman. Good times...

Actually, Songs of Faith and Devotion is possibly my fave of the lot, so I'd carry on the list that far. Ultra was merely 'ok' and then they dove off the face of the cliff, frankly. Still the Recoil albums were pretty good, so that's something.

Really intruiged to hear they've suddenly found some form again.

I was talkign to a buddy of mine who is a HUGE depeche mode fan and he mentioned that the last time they came back from Martin doing a solo thing they made Violator so maybe with both Martin and Dave doing solo projects, this new album will kick mass amounts ass, which having listened to the single atleast 50 times, I think it will.

I'm also a huge Depeche Mode fan from the 80's :rock My favorite CD is double disc set 101 Live with the "Somebody" and "Master and Servant" as getting spun alot! in the old CD player.

I liked some of the stuff of the Violater and Songs of Faith and Devotion CD's but still the early stuff does it fo me.

I'd love to hear the new track, so Gigapower I have PM'd you, thanks :tu

Matt

Some Great Reward through Violator DM could do no wrong.

Yeah, I agree with that. I think it's telling that on their first album Speak and Spell, the best songs, IMO are the ones written by Martin Gore. Vince Clarke is cool, but Gore's stuff was just weirder, and melodies were more interesting.

Each album after that has at least a couple of tracks that are utter classics. I think they reached a peak of sorts at Black Celebration, which has Stripped, easily one of their best. I think Black Celebration was the best of their dark style.

I also agree with Iain, that Songs Of Faith And Devotion was quite good, it got more listens from me than any other DM release after Violator.

I think partly what makes Violator so nice and still fresh sounding is that the production quality leapt by bounds. Recording technology improved greatly, and they made full use of it. Anything prior to Violator sounds a little thin by comparison.

OK, I've listened to "precious" a few times, nice track. Sounds a little like something you might find on Violator.

I think this MP3 is messed up despite saying 256kbps, the high hats and the hissing snare make it sound heavily compressed. So I expect (hope) the uncompressed version will sound quite a bit better.

Agreed on the sound quality of the Prescious mp3 floating around. It is VERY muffled and quiet. The remixes in general are louder and less compressed but vary in sound quality from mix to mix. *shrug* I can't complain about sound quality on a bootleg mp3 that is free I guess. :) Can't wait for the new album. Hopefully this track is an example of the quality of tunes on the album.

I can't complain either to be honest. The quality I saw was 128k though.

Started to think about this song on the way to work today and realized when they do come out with the remake of Miami Vice, this song would fit ;)

Still sounds 80'sish to me and has shown me that DM hasn't evolved much but I'm ok with that. Too much evolution can ruin a good thing.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Having listened to the full album 4-5 times over the last couple of days I can say without hesitation that "Playing The Angel" is a fantastic album and one of my favorite albums of alltime. It truely is an instant classic in my eyes...one of DM's finest albums ever. This is probably their most mature and complex album to date. My favorite song on the album is the last track on the album titled "The Darkest Star". An excellent laid back tune carried by some amazing vocals. Simply must be heard. Can't stop playing it. This album :rock. Surpasses my expectations. Looking forward to picking up the official album when it is released.

Edit: BTW for those who thought "Prescious" was good you aint heard nothing yet. While a great song in its ownright it is definately the most radio friendly/mainstream tune on the album. Dont get me wrong this isn't taking anything away from it but I'm just saying quite a few of the other tunes absolutely blow it away. ;)

• 2 weeks later...