LCVG

Help me buy a Sega Saturn

The ol' brain's been in a retro state of mind as of late, with the Sega Saturn chief amongst my gaming thoughts this past week. Finally sick and tired of moaning constantly about how I regret never get one many years ago I am looking to sort myself out with a model and have been actively watching ebayUK for various deals.

There's a pre-modded black one ending tomorrow night which I may well bid on. Includes nine games, all PAL. Fella's feedback is 100%, but his advertisement is not very detailed which is a bit off putting, although he does provide detailed images of the console and games. I will admit I do lust for the Japanese white Saturn, and have seen it recommended elsewhere that given the superior choice of titles, that is by far the best thing to go for and use it with an Action Replay cartridge (the one that also offers the 4MB memory boost) to play PAL stuff, and if I wanted to go the extra mile of running PAL stuff in 60hz have the 50/60switch fitted too.

Would any Saturn experts champion the latter route? I can get white Saturns for about ?39 unboxed, plus a further ?18 for the action replay cartridge. That's still a bit more than I'd rather pay for an unboxed model mind you.

Daniel

I have a grey Japanese Saturn with a cartridge to play other regions. When a NTSC Saturn plays a PAL game, it plays at 60Hz for me - if it didn't, I wouldn't be able to see PAL games on my NTSC TV.

A NTSC machine with a region free cart or a region free mod is a good solid route to go, though a PAL machine with a region free mod + the 50/60Hz toggle is solid too.

It's worth noting that Yod@ on the RLLMUK forum does the Saturn region free + toggle for 20 pounds which is very good value. Personally, I'd buy a cheap UK Saturn, change the battery, and send the machine off to Yod@ if you're not hung up on getting the nice white looking Saturn. You wouldn't need a power converter either.

Maybe it's time for me to start a Saturn equivalent of the Dreamcast essentials thread :)

Maybe it's time for me to start a Saturn equivalent of the Dreamcast essentials thread

Hell yeah. I've still got to post parts II and III of the DC list (which I am still working on, but having been caught up on apartment remodeling has had to wait). Would love a Saturn thread from you Brian. Would give me a good point of reference on other titles I'd like to buy. In the words of AHNULD...DO EEEEEEEEEET! :tu

?20 for the mod is very good yeah. I’ve seen quotes for as much as ?49 elsewhere. Fairly tempting to get a Japanese white one and have Yod@ mod it then... No idea why I am so hung up on the white one... it's just.... sexy.

Maybe it's time for me to start a Saturn equivalent of the Dreamcast essentials thread

Ohh yes... please do. I'm already watching a few specific titles on ebay. Happy to snap some up even before I sort a console purchase out. Now if only Panzer Dragoon Saga could be had for a tenner. :)

Dan

I should add, the prices I have seen for the white one also includes a free japanese copy of Virtua Fighter Remix or Daytona. ?39 as I say, a scart can be had for an additional ?3.50, and he sells the action replay cart for ?18.

As far as voltage goes, I can just use the stepdown that I use for my modified Japanese Gamecube (although a second one isn’t expensive)

Daniel

Put me down as another who'd be interested in what the "essentials" are for the Saturn. I need to pick up a cart that will let me play US games though, as I don't play too many of the ones I have now since I only have a Japanese Skeleton Saturn. The plus side of this seems to be that many of the Japanese versions of otherwise hard to find games can be found for cheap (I got Burning Rangers for $10), the down side is that I can't read Japanese.

That pre-modded one goes in 3hrs. I'll be keeping a close eye on it. It's been a successful day for me and retro so far, with three Dreamcast game wins since this morning. I am also looking to hoard Parappa the Rapper and Wipeout3 SE on the Playstation tonight as well.

I’m still debating on that pre-modded sale. If the price is right near to bidding close I shall put in an offer and see what happens.

Daniel

I've been trying to get my hands on a modded Saturn myself for a long time. I just barely got outbid on one on ebay for $77 a few weeks ago. I'm sorry but I'm not willing to pay the crazy prices Panzer Dragoon Saga gets these days. Years ago it was $50 or so disc only, $100 or so complete. Now it's closer to $200 complete. Yikes!

I may buy a moddable Saturn and try to mod the damn thing myself, but I'm no pro with the soldering iron.

A couple of good Saturn games that I have that haven't been mentioned:

Steet Fighter Collection (by all reports better than the PS1 version and I agree)

Die Hard Arcade

Just remembered another good reason to go down the route of getting a region switch/speed switch installed - the cartridge ports on the Saturn are notoriously fragile when used with third party carts that don't /quite/ fit the slot, causing the extra pressure on the physical connector & the motherboard.

For example, I have to press down on the back left of my region free cartridge when booting to get the Saturn to recognise it.

For example, I have to press down on the back left of my region free cartridge when booting to get the Saturn to recognise it.

I had to do that in the latter days of the SNES with a lot of NTSC carts that sat plugged into the adapter cartridge (you know, the ones where you plug a PAL cart in the back, and an NTSC one on top). Drove me mad, especially when into a game the slightest nudge to the console could render the screen to go black and all progress to be lost.

Daniel