LCVG

Officially geeky things you have bought

GreenMonkey

OK

This is kinda geeky and I had to share. Wife wanted a FF7 strategy guide. She promises to actually finish it this time. The Dog was peeing on my stack of strategy guides I had left on the floor when we moved in. :( Bye Bye 20 strategy guides, including a Secret of Mana guide :mad:

Anyway, rather than getting her a guide for $10-$14 from Barnes and Noble or Amazon.com (yes, the FF7 guide is still in print!), I hunted ebay auctions. I picked up this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8210115716&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

So I got an old grey fullsize PS1, 1 lame digital controller, 1 red 1st party Sony memory card, a non-GH FF7, and the guide...for $25.50 shipped.

The funny thing is, I already have the PS2 for PS1 titles, and a mini PSone with an LCD (I take to work sometimes on the weekends...I might get tattled on, though, so I'm cautious).

Reasoning: I got tired of swapping memory cards with the PS1 memory card on the PS2 (2 PS2 cards already in there) when I wanted to play PS1. And I had a spare hookup for a PS1 (universal Dreamcast/Gamecube/PS2 a/v cord with PS2 spot empty).

I guess I'll post a pic here soon of my setup, but it's funny. I now have 3 devices that play PS1 games. :rock :eh

Anyone else have any gaming/HT geek purchase like this? Figured someone would have a story or two.

Thrillo, if you look in the latest Make magazine they go into how to build your own life sized astro mech on the cheap. It's just a model, but a very high qual model. Geek it out baby.

I like that keyboard too. Using that is like being the Magnus Magnessen of geeks in your office. I'm simply not worthy of that sort of thing.

The geekiest stuff I get is probably from here: http://www.thinkgeek.com/index.shtml Love that stuff.

It's a projection clock/barometer/thermometer. That's right, it projects the time and outdoor temp. I have mine aimed at the ceiling off to one side so I can read it in bed. It syncs to the atomic clock in Colorado, so I'm sure to never be late!

That's so cool.

Would it be too much to ask you to post photos of the projected image on your ceiling? That's just something I'd need to see before ordering.

That's so cool.

Would it be too much to ask you to post photos of the projected image on your ceiling? That's just something I'd need to see before ordering.

I'll try. I have it set to low-brightness, so it looks best in darkness. It's not bright enough to be distracting while sleeping.

The numerals look like the classic 'digital' characters (just like the display on the clock face) in red.

I've just obtained what was my gaming holy grail up until 30 minutes ago... Samba De Amigo. Japanese version boxed and in mint condition for ?85 shipped. I'm just about out of breath from running around the room screaming with joy.

Daniel

With Maracas I hope.

The projection clock is kinda kewl. Always thought they were neat.

The text-less keyboard...well, I bought the Saitek Eclipse with glowing backlit keys...so you can tell where my expertise level is when it comes to typing.

R2-D2 = ownage :D Reminds me, I have to watch R2-D2 Beneath the Dome - got it for $1 at Media Play.

Would it be too much to ask you to post photos of the projected image on your ceiling?

Ok, here's a shot of the clock...it was showing the temp when I took the shot. It alternates between time and temp every few seconds. The picture is a long exposure, so the display looks brigther than it really is.

The surface it's projecting on is actually the top of a wall opening between rooms, like a window without glass. The surface is about 7" across for reference. I can easily turn the projection 'arm' to aim at the ceiling proper and it looks fine, only larger because it's further away.

projclock.jpg

The clock also has the option to rotate the projected image at 90-degree increments so it's readable from any angle.

Thanks for taking the time to capture that image. I appreciate that.

I always have to wake up to actually find the clock radio on my bed side table. Usually I need to orientate myself (or the clock) so it's visible from a prone position. By the time I'm able to see the clock I'm half awake. This might be a great solution to that problem.

Thanks for taking the time to capture that image. I appreciate that.

I always have to wake up to actually find the clock radio on my bed side table. Usually I need to orientate myself (or the clock) so it's visible from a prone position. By the time I'm able to see the clock I'm half awake. This might be a great solution to that problem.

O, the torment we endure, the strife we heave! Woe are us! :lmfao

I bought a laserdisc player 2 years after DVD came out just to have the Original versions of SW, ESB, and ROTJ. Plus a few others not on dvd at the time. Still have the player for the SW as well as titles which are in widescreen on LD but not DVD

capt