LCVG

Make Magazine

Robot Monkey

Snakefish's comment in another thread reminded me: Have you guys seen Make Magazine? I buy mine at Barnes and Nobles.

It's a quarterly magazine published by O'Reilly that focuses on making stuff (duh). Issue One showed you how to make a $14 Steadicam and a kite cam, among other things. There was also an article on the nut who made the Rubik's cube-solving robot out of lego Mindstorms.

Issue Two shows you how to turn a $30 (IIRC) Commodore 64 joystick emulator thingy into a full-blown C64.

I thought Issue One was better than Two, but Two was still good. If Three is as good as Two, I'm subscribing.

It's also online at makezine.com

I forgot to link that; sorry!

The site is okay, but the actual content of the magazine is often just summarized on the site -- you need the magazine to do most of the stuff. Or to read it on the potty if you lack a mobile internet device.

I made a couple of the steadicams for StarMonkey Films and they work surprisingly well (based on some test shots). I'd like to tackle the C64 thing and the gauss gun next.

The site is okay, but the actual content of the magazine is often just summarized on the site -- you need the magazine to do most of the stuff. Or to read it on the potty if you lack a mobile internet device.

Maybe you could write an article for them about making an internet-ready toilet.

I assume that the "Digital Edition" is the same as the print one, yes? I wonder if you get access to the digital edition by subscribing to the print one?