LCVG

Cost of gas affecting you guys yet?

Derrik Draven

It's putting a damper on our festivities here. :mad:

My gf and I like to put the top down on her new Mustang, and go for nice long cruises, since we're so close to the countryside.

Not any more. Car sits with a cover on it.

Then there's my main ride, 2001 Chevy Silverado 4X4 Z71. Thing sucks gas like there's no tomorrow. Thank God I only have to drive 5 miles to work!!!! I feel sorry for the guys that live an hour, or more, away.

Any of you guys feeling the pinch at the pump? Just wait 'till it hits $3/gallon. :thud

Yeah, I know they're paying twice that in Europe, but that doesn't make it any friggin easier in my wallet!!!

Just wonderin how it's affecting any of you guys.

Hey, how 'bout our boys across the pond (ie Europe)...how the hell do you guys handle that ridiculous cost?!!? :eh Ride the trains? You guys sure have our stupid country beat when it comes to public transportation....

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our petrol may be twice the price, but our country isn't so massively spread out as yours. Before I actually spent any time in the US I thought that the low price of fuel was amazing, but then I discovered how little anyone thinks of getting in the car and driving an hour or two each way to go anywhere. There really aren't that many places in England (Scotland complicates things with crap roads) where a two hour drive won't get you to the coast, for comparison.

Sure, I have to spend ?40+ on a tank of fuel at the moment, but it lasts me a week of commuting.

My Grand Prix GTP uses premium fuel only...but I get 25mpg avg (18 city, 30 highway). :D

I actually point out to people - since the extra $.20 or so has stayed constant - as gas prices go up, the % difference between regular and premium goes down with each price hike.

Yeah I spend 20 cents more per gallon that you. But there's a big difference between $1.50 and $1.70...and not as much of a % difference between $2.59 and $2.79.

That said, I normally ignore gas prices. But with prices approaching $3 for me I'm starting to notice. I mean, last year when we were on our honeymoon, we drove into California...I winced at the $2.79 I had to pay for gas...it was like 40-50 cents higher than at home...now it's the standard price.

I thought ahead when I bought the car 3 years ago. I wanted faster than my 94 Beretta Z26 but not too much worse mileage. I've got 240HP & 280 ft/lbs of torque... .1 second behind a Mustang GT 0-60...and I get 30mpg highway. :D

Feel sorry for you guys and your gas sucking behemoths. A tank of gas shouldn't cost the same as a new release PS2 game.

I drive about 90 miles roundtrip a day for work and my Jeep averages about 22 mpg. I am really feeling it. Rumor has it gas prices will be around the $4 mark by x-mas.....I will be working form home more if that happens, or I may be asking for a gas allowance at work real soon....like next week.

-Dean-

[half-joking]The next time we invade a middle eastern nation we really need to seize their oil supply for our own personal use. Especially in this case where we really have nothing to show for the entire military action.[/half-joking]

Most people are thinking the same thing :D

Now back to our regularly scheduled Gas Price chat

My WRX uses premium and I don't drive like a granny, so it's starting to affect me... over $30 to fill now and I get about 300 miles from a tank. Luckily though, my motorcycle only requires regular and cost me $8.50 to fill up this morning. Still, I liked it better when it only cost $5 to fill. :(

Next car will defientely have a hybrid motor in it.

I recently read an editorial in Car and Driver that says the cost savings associated with hybrid's are non-existent due to the price premium you'd pay over a non-hybrid model.

A modern diesel engine would be a better bet.

I've got a 94 mi. commute as well, and I'm in the hurt locker with these gas prices. I'm seriously considering a hybrid as well, especially as my company will give me $5000 towards the purchase of one. We just bought a minivan for the kiddies, though, so it will be some time before we can spring for another new car. Although if gas does indeed climb north of $3 a gallon, we may just have to bite the bullet and go for it.

I recently read an editorial in Car and Driver that says the cost savings associated with hybrid's are non-existent due to the price premium you'd pay over a non-hybrid model.

Hybrids cost substantially more upfront to buy, but save you money each time you fill up (obviously). It's down to how long you'll own the car essentially...

Hybrids cost substantially more upfront to buy, but save you money each time you fill up (obviously). It's down to how long you'll own the car essentially...

Right, problem is they qouted an insane amount of miles you'd have to drive per year for a number of years for you to see the savings. Many people like to drive a new car every few years, so for them, buying (or leasing) a hybrid is a waste of money, unless they are about image & having "what's in".

A modern diesel engine would be a better bet.

I read a similiar analysis on edmunds. The article claimed gas prices would have to go up to nearly $10/gallon before a hybrid became cost effective. :shock:

Both of our vehicles average 25+ miles to the gallon and only get regular, but I'm still paying between $300 and $400 a month in gas. :mad: Add in the cost of taking the boat out, and I'm probably closer to $500. :scream

Many people like to drive a new car every few years, so for them, buying (or leasing) a hybrid is a waste of money, unless they are about image & having "what's in".

Oh completely. If you're buying a hybrid, you're buying it for the longterm. And that's why I think they're a bad investment at the moment - yes, if you own one for long enough, you'll save, however in the meantime, much improved hybrid technology is likely to come out & the initial cost of ownership is likely to come down too. I think right now is a bad time to invest in one because of that.

Man, I don't envy you guys.

Here I am bitching about the MTA threatening to raise the subway fares here.

I spend $76 a month on public transportation. Do any of you have public transportation options where you live, or are cars really the only way (obvious for those commuting 90 miles).

I'd love to use public transport, stencil. When I first moved to the Dallas area, we purposely chose our apartment complex so it was on a DART bus route. However here in Lewisville there are no buses, no trains, nothing like that, just like most of Texas.

Sucks to see what's happened to transit. I remember growing up in Anaheim, California, seeing the remnants of what was a full trolley system. Apparently, sometime in the 50s, oil companies bought out the transit companies and just shut the stuff down.

I'm sure you all know the state of transport in OC these days.

I'm not changing any driving habits or changing my vehicle. I have an SUV (Nissan Pathfinder 4X4), and it gets lousy mileage, between 15 and 18 MPG. My commute to work is about 14 miles, not too bad, but not great either.

I've changed habits in other areas. It's amazing how much money can be saved if you just change a few little things.

And I don't put any stock in the rumors about the price of gasoline increasing 100% (up to $4 per gallon) this year. It reeks of political propaganda to me. (I'll keep my conservative viewpoint to myself.) It also sounds like the kind of thing we heard in the late nineties, while folks loaded up their cellars with rice and beans to wait out the "Y2K crisis".

Most of us are too young to remember, but in the late 70's the same thing happened, and we made it through. (and I've heard stats that say that comparing against an index for inflation, the gas prices now are way less than in those times.)

What I can't stand is that a good portion of the price of a gallon of gas is taxes. Have you ever looked closely at the pump? It will make you sick. If you can, buy your gas on an Indian Reservation, they don't have all the taxes. Oh, and don't get me started on every state having a different EPA-approved formula for gasoline, so that gas supplies can't be shared between neighboring states. (Yeah, I'm talkin' to you, California. Ever wonder why your gas is $3 a gallon?)

====

Having said all that, when my wife and I get a second car, we'll likely get a 4 year old Honda Civic, or some other 30MPG car, and use the Pathfinder on weekends. I'm not getting another gas guzzler, that's for sure.

Most of us are too young to remember, but in the late 70's the same thing happened, and we made it through. (and I've heard stats that say that comparing against an index for inflation, the gas prices now are way less than in those times.)

The difference is that in the 70s that was a supply deficit created by OPEC to drive the price of gas up artifically and squeeze the USA politically. Today OPEC is pumping full steam but China and India are getting as gas hungry as we are. Since they don't look to be curbing their appetites anytime soon, get used to $2.50-3.00/gal gasoline. The reason why our economy and inflation hasn't felt this energy price spike like in the 70s/80s is that as they consume the fuel, China and India then export cheaper goods and services to the USA so we don't really lose as much in the wallet. So you feel the pain at the pump, but prices have eased in so many other areas due to cheap imports that it's almost a wash.

Not to derail this thread completely into a political discussion, but this is the best thing to happen to the USA in the last 5 years IMHO. The cheaper gas stayed, the longer our industries were allowed to remain stagnant and the more pollution we all created due to frequent use of large cars. If gas stays above $3 a gallon for a couple of years, it will really force some neccessary changes in American culture. How so?

* The big automakers will either get with making hybrids and more efficient cars or they will die. The asian companies have such a lead here it may be too late, but that's the beauty of real competition. Also, the auto companies desperately need a health care plan that works to keep going, faced with a total collapse of Ford/GM, the govt will need a real plan to deal with this sorely lacking piece of life in the USA.

* Much more home grown industries and opportunities. The organic corn grown down the street at the farmer's market will cost $5 compared to $8 in the store due to processing/shipping costs from the big firms. Or if you prefer, having someone fix your TV locally might be considerably cheaper than shipping it coast to coast twice to be fixed. More local, more jobs, more community?

* Alternative forms of power will be much more likely to be funded and explored. There is no substitute for the incredibly energy rich crude oil, but eventually we won't have it so the sooner we ramp up alternatives, the better.

* Life might slow down a little bit. If air travel is several times as expensive as rail/bus travel, I would expect to see much more of the latter. With shipping non-critical items ground delivery might become the defacto standard again.

* Telecommuting might become a more viable option around the globe. $60 a month for broadband doesn't seem so bad when you would spend that every week on gas to commute. Plus businesses would want to expense travel less and less.

I'm sorry if this is past the forum rules, delete it if you wish. Not trying to rub anyone the wrong way, it's just that I had to vent a bit. American culture has been cruising into this bruising for years, getting off our gas addiction was inevitable, I hope we can make the best of it.

Having said all that, when my wife and I get a second car, we'll likely get a 4 year old Honda Civic, or some other 30MPG car, and use the Pathfinder on weekends. I'm not getting another gas guzzler, that's for sure.

Which is what happened in the 70s as well. The big muscle cars (read SUVs in today's terms) were traded in for small import compacts (read diesels/hybrids/alternative fuel cars in today's terms).

It hurts because I love high performance cars so much and was going to buy a sporty car next time around. Now I'll be making my decision based on more factors than before, and will likely end up with another Civic, or a Diesel (if NA adopts European standards for diesel emissions).

Here in Canada we already topped the $3 per gallon after you convert our price per litre over in some areas. I know we shouldn't bitch when we do better than Europeans do on gas prices, but we don't have the fuel efficient cars and small distances to be travelled that most of Europe enjoys. And the years of paying the prices we have is what is slaying us. I'm not bitching about the price I pay as a literal figure, it's the delta between what I grew accustomed to paying that is hard to swallow.

I spend $76 a month on public transportation. Do any of you have public transportation options where you live, or are cars really the only way (obvious for those commuting 90 miles).

I spend $25 a month of transit, after a $20 subsidy from my employer. Plus I have a $45/mo. pre-tax withholding from my paycheck for transit.

Of course, that doesn't mean the cost of gas doesn't affect me, since almost everything I buy had to be shipped from somewhere else, that cost will be passed on eventually.

I spend $25 a month of transit' date=' after a $20 subsidy from my employer. Plus I have a $45/mo. pre-tax withholding from my paycheck for transit.

Of course, that doesn't mean the cost of gas doesn't affect me, since almost everything I buy had to be shipped from somewhere else, that cost will be passed on eventually.[/quote']

True. Very true. Have UPS and FedEx prices gone up as a result of this? Is that happening?

I also get my transport costs taken out pre-tax, which is nice.

Snakefish makes good points, if the economics of the situation follows its logical progression with no changes.

However, I believe that changes ARE in order (less government involvement allowing market forces to work being the chief change) so that the marketplace can work itself out. I'd like to decrease the US's dependence on foreign oil by researching safe ways to extract oil within our own country. I'd like to see more gasoline refineries built. I'd like to see EPA regulations changed so that states could share supplies.

Don't get me wrong, it would be great if we had alternatives to petroleum fuel. I'm all for the development of alternative sources of energy, but I believe the rising cost of fuel in America is due to our dependence on foreign oil and the increasing costs of producing and distributing gas.

Finally, I can't agree with the logic that we *ought* to pay more for our gasoline. We ought to, because other countries pay more than we do. We ought to, because we need to punish ourselves for destroying the earth with pollution. We ought to, because a group of people think that other people drive cars that are too big, or commute too far to work and need to change their lifestyle.

This is just good ol' fashion back-n-forth. No offense intended for anyone who doesn't agree.

===

Oh, and same goes for me, if the mods want to dump this post - go ahead.