LCVG

September 11, 2005

PHiL

I know everyone has been hurt some way shape or form by what happened 4 years ago today.. I just thought i would create this post in case anyone has a thought or wanted to comment about today..

I woke up that morning and turned on the Tv and saw what happend..I sat there with Joey Speechless for about 2 hours.. I believe Joey was suppose to have an interview that day in 1 of those towers but didnt go.. Someone was def on his side..

A couple kids i went to school with joined the army and and marines after Sept 11. They have recently been killed fighting the war around the world. Just wanted to put there names on here so there names wouldnt be forgotton.

R.I.P- Daniel Christianson-Fighting In Afghanastan killed on 7-20-05

Michelle Dudss- Killed on 8-01-05

Thomas De Caramo- Killed In Iraq on 8-20-05

God Bless Everyone Who Helped Us Fellow New Yorkers 4 years ago today!

I was at the beach on vacation with my girlfriend on Sept 11th 2001. We knew absolutely nothing about what happened that morning since we were away from any tv's or other forms of media. I'll never forget when I got home that evening, turned on the tv and just stood there speechless for about 10 minutes as I watched replay footage of the towers being hit and then falling. It was a very sureal moment and something I will never forget for as long as I live.

I honor the men and women currently fighting for our freedom and morn the losses of those who have lost their lives fighting the good fight. May we never take our freedom for granted.

I watched the towers fall from my building's roof.

Spent the rest of the day tracking down a friend who worked in Tower 1. Turns out he was running late that morning, stepped out of the subway, looked up, and turned around and went home. He's getting married next month.

I was just waking up when the first plane hit. My wife said they had broke into her 90210 to tell the news of the plane. I thought thats weird I wonder if it was foggy or something. So I started watching the live coverage. Then I saw how clear of a day it was "Thats really odd must of been something mechaniceal.....OH MY GOD" that was about the time the second plane hit. "Oh my god oh my god those fucking bastards this is no accident" Then it was the Pentagon I just couldn't believe it was happening here in the US. Then when I heard about flight 93 I was scared I thought what other cities are going to be hit?

As more of story unfolded I was pleased to hear the people on flight 93 had heard of the events that had been going on and decided to say "oh hell no" and fought back they are indeed heroes they took their lives to save who knows how many. To this day those famous words "Let's Roll" make me get misty eyed.

Along with some of the other documentaries that will be on today I plan on watching the Flight That Fought Back documoive that is on tonight. I think it will be a great tribute and tell more of those stories from those freedom fighting heroes.

Also the pic of the firefighters re-raising the flag at ground zero will always stay with me.

iwo-9-11-final.jpg

I was working on the 25th floor of one of the most prominent office buildings in Downtown Houston. I saw a post on the internet (Free Republic) within minutes of the first plane crash, then immediately turned on streaming CNN.

Here is the link to the archives on the Free Republic, where I first found out. http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/620413/posts Click on the first link "World Trade Center" It is chilling to go back and read these original threads from the day it happened.

Tonight, Discovery Channel airs "The Flight that Fought Back", a re-enactment of the events of Flight 93. I have seen posts from the son of one of the passengers who screened the show in advance, and he was very satisfied with the portrayal of these heroes.

Never Forget!

Carlos.

I was driving to work late when the footage was on the radio. I thought I was listening to a War Of The Worlds broadcast. It was panic. Total, complete panic.

When I got in, everyone was away from their desks and watching the TV in the lunch room. We watched the second tower collapse live right in front of our faces.

One idiot in the room just walked away and said "gee, I guess the fight's off then," referencing a boxing match that was supposed to take place that night.

We were all told to go home early, not so much because my superiors wanted me to leave but because Philadelphia's officials demanded it.

A few hours later I went online to a forum I frequented and was greeted by a picture from someone from Canada who posted there that had the tower collapsing with "F*** AMERICA" sprawled across it in 96-point type. Some of the other members were laughing right along with him. I promptly canceled my account. It's bad enough I had to let the fact that I watched thousands of people die on live TV sink in. Right after that I was exposed to just how Anti-American some people were, even in spite of the fact that the lives lost were innocent people from all walks of life.

Later that day I watched news footage of Palestinians dancing in the streets throwing candy in celebration of what took place.

It was one of the worst days of my life. Not only because I watched the biggest attack on American soil and watched my world change forever, but I realized just how much some people utterly, completely, and blindly hate us.

I was working when I first heard, I was in my work truck running my route listening to Howard Stern, I thought it was a joke for the first 10 minutes or so until I changed the station. I used to exterminate a restaurant on the top floor of the Renaissance Center in downtown Detroit and had it scheduled that night, I skipped it.

I was at a business conference with my parents in California. I woke up to the TV being left on from the night before saying "They've hit the Pentagon" along with the associated video footage, so I had no idea what was going on. Two or three days later, we drove home 3000 miles across America in our rental car because it was impossible to fly out.

I was at my desk when one of the couriers came in and told us about a plane that hit the WTC. The thing is that my co-worker's husband owned a small plane, so every time there was a story about someone doing something crazy with a Cesna or something, people would tell her about it, so that's what we assumed had happened. After a short while, I looked it up on the internet and saw that this was a passenger plane and that a second one had crashed into the building. I went across the hall to drop something off at my boss's desk, and I heard her on the phone saying that the Pentagon had just been hit and that there were rumors coming out of downtown DC of numerous car bombs that had been planted throughout the city and that the Mall had been bombed and set on fire. It's often forgotten how hysterical the news coverage was at the time and that they were running every single rumor that came in.

Anyway, we just kept on working because there was not much else to do, until someone finally came around at 3 and told us to go home. It also turned out that the wife of one of our columnists was on the plane that had hit the Pentagon - she was supposed to be on her way to visit their daughter, who was stationed in Okinawa. Going home, the whole city was like a ghost town.

Thanks for this thread. I was happy yesterday that the news wasn't focused on 9/11. We should learn from it, not relive it for sensational purposes. That said, Katrina filled the news airwaves, with much the same sense of frustration and powerlessness that 9/11 engendered.

I was working in Washington, DC on 9/11. The old Navy Yard is situated in one of less savory parts of SE DC. I was on the premises (my office at the time was in Crystal City, about 2 miles from the Pentagon) supporting my clients. I had just gotten out of the Navy 3.5 months earlier. I first heard that a plane struck the Trade Center. I wondered how a small plane could do so. Over the course of a few minutes, the entire picture became more clear. Intentional crashes. Innocent lives. The Navy Yard locked down, so I couldn't leave. I could walk outside and see a huge black plume of smoke rising from the Pentagon. But I couldn't get to wife, I couldn't get home. They piped the newscasts into the auditorium, and I just remember how frustrated and helpless I felt. How angry. All I could think about is what was next? How many more cells were about to make their moves, on bridges, on other cities.

Fortunately, none. They finally let us out of the Navy Yard at about 12:30 PM. I scurried to the clogged Metro (which runs under the Pentagon on the other side) and I got home a little after 2 PM. It was so quiet, so crowded.

And then the newscasts. I remember not being able to sleep that night. I called my parents because I didn't even know how to respond to the events.

In weird video game news, I had gotten Devil May Cry as an import a few weeks earlier (I still love that game, one of my best gaming experiences - ever - was playing the import of that...not understanding the written text made it seem more exotic). I remember trying to play it to take my mind off the events, and I just couldn't. Ten minutes later, I gave up.

The events made me proud to be not only American, but human as well. As with the tsunami, or Katrina, or the bombings in Spain, the UK, and worldwide...people want to help each other. Most people care enough to drop everything and help.

I remember what I wore that day. How pretty the sky was. How excited I was that football was in progress.

I try to remember the victims and heroes of 9/11 (and beyond, like the good people named in the first post) as often as possible.

Thanks for the memories,

Chuck

I was sitting at my desk at work listening to Stern and they announced the plane hitting the WTC. I walked down the hall to the conference room where a few co-workers already had the projector fired up and showing ABC News. We were discussing whether not it could have been terrorists. A few minutes into it and we see the 2nd plane hit. Discussion ended, we knew right then it was a terrorist attack.

Since I work at a FAA research facility, we were ordered to go home (as where most federal sites around the nation) at approx. 9:30am. I remember hearing about the tower collaspsing on the radio as I drove home. I can't recall if I saw the first or 2nd one collapse on live TV. At home I was glued to TV for the rest of the day.

I watched the Discovery Channel's show on Flight 93 last night and I have to say they did a nice job.

Never posted my 9/11 story. As phil mentioned i was supposed to get a phone call the night before for a interview , but the women never called. Even though I was off that day I woke up early as we had to vote for something in NY. Think it was democratic primary for mayor. I usually go with my mom as we are both up early. So we went, and after voting, she dropped me off back home. I was going to go back to bed, but decided to check my e-mail real quick. I didnt even turn the TV on. I ended up just staying online, as a friend of mine from the Uk was on AIM and i hadnt spoken to him in a long time. Then Phil came into the Den where i was and said a plane had crashed into the WTC. He tuned the tv on. A few minutes after he turned it on the second plane it. From that point on we just sat there speechless watching the pentagon stuff and the towers falling down. We tried to contact friends in the city, everyone was alright. We then talked to a friend of ours from the block as he walked over the bridge back to queens as he was going to Hunter college at the time. Its something Ill never forget