LCVG

Marilyn Manson marathon

jhfagan

I don't know what got into me, but I spent almost the whole weekend listening to nothing but MM CD's, and watching every video and DVD I have of the band.

Do I need to go to church now? LOL

BTW, does anyone know when/if he has a new CD coming out soon, or a new DVD at all?

The website doesn't have any new info on that yet.

Antichrist Superstar is one of the best concept albums ever made.

I too love Antichrist Superstar, nothing he's done since grabs me as much as that one. Frankly I think Trent Reznor's involvement made that album more interesting sonically, with all of the weird electronic noise embedded in the atmosphere. And also the vocal processing was great.

I saw him live when he toured for Antichrist and he is a really great showman, very charismatic.

I do enjoy a lot of what MM has done since, but it's hit and miss, IMO.

I too love Antichrist Superstar, nothing he's done since grabs me as much as that one.

Interesting that you say that Ed. The album that followed Antichrist, Mechanical Animals is probably my favorite of his stuff. I really enjoyed how much he changes his sound up from album to album. Holywood is definitely my least favorite of his. Very hit or miss release. Golden Age of the Grotesque was very good I thought, though I was sad to see alot of unreleased music did not make it onto the album (some of the unreleased stuff is better than what appears on the album).

I actually liked the HolyWood CD alot.

It's not quite as energetic as ACSS or GAOG, but as a musician, I think it has alot of really strong, moody, atmospheric stuff on there. It DOES have a few bland tunes, but hey... I can always skip over them. :-)

But I think AntiChrist is my personal favorite. GAOG is a close second. HolyWood is 3rd, and Mechanical would be 4th.

Their 1st two releases were kinda poop, at least to me. With the exception of a small handful of songs, they were still very much in need of finding their distinct style, so everything sounded just like shock rock for the sake of it. A little too pretentious and uncontrolled.

I like Marilyn Manson but just find him to be an updated version of Alice Cooper, mirroring his sound and theatrics.

Yeah, he's got some Cooper-esque stuff going on, but any performer, or artist is always going to show some of their influences at some point.

The true artist is one that can take all their influences and successfully integrate them into a brand new thing that is truly unique.

I believe MM has done that. No one has, or probably will, developed as unique an identity as MM.

I don't know what got into me' date=' but I spent almost the whole weekend listening to nothing but MM CD's, and watching every video and DVD I have of the band.

Do I need to go to church now? LOL

BTW, does anyone know when/if he has a new CD coming out soon, or a new DVD at all?

The website doesn't have any new info on that yet.[/quote']

Funny you that you started this thread. I just listened to my Marilyn Mega Mix I have on my Ipod yesterday. :)

Golden Age was a great album, and yes, a bunch of the unreleased stuff is great. Holywood has about a handful of good songs. Antichrist is his best and I really love Mechanical as well. Portrait is another solid album (I saw him live on that tour opening for NIN). One of my favorite Manson songs is on the Live CD from the Mechanical tour. It's the last song on the CD. I never get tired of that song or the lyric, "Kill your God, Kill your.......TV"

:rock

-Dean-

I never get tired of that song or the lyric, "Kill your God, Kill your.......TV"

Panorama of the End Times is the name of the song if I remember right Dean. Another great song is off the Howard Stern soundtrack, Long Hard Road Out of Hell. I was listening to that yesterday. Really strange video for that one too.

Yes, that is the name of the song...and Actually, Long Hard Road Out of Hell is off of the Spawn soundtrack...It was driving me mad what that was from, and I found out the other day when I broke down to actually look. :)

BTW, I love that song, one of my favorite Manson tunes.

The song off of the Stern soundtrack is The Suck for Your Solution.

-Dean-