LCVG

Anyone like Coldplay? (Large Images!)

Starhawk

The photo pit is right in front of the stage and I was standing dead centerin front of it. There is not much room to move, as the photo pit is a very small space between front row and the stage.

I can't remember the song they opened with (I think it was the first song off of the new X&Y) but it starts out slow and then opens up with a faster tempo.

Just as the music cue hits which starts the faster parts of the song, lead singer Chris Martin comes running out on stage, jumps in the air, and his feet land right in front of my face! Really cool experience ;)

I usually shoot with Primes which have a fixed focal length, and I was using a semi-telephoto lens. You can tell here that I wasnt really ready for him to be so close to me. This is me shooting straight up:

35764308-L.jpg

35763416-L.jpg

Some other cool ones I managed to get:

35764850-L.jpg

35766026-L.jpg

35762717-L.jpg

35766203-L.jpg

35766545-L.jpg

35766833-L.jpg

Full gallery can be found here: http://cameron.smugmug.com/gallery/803797

Thanks for the comments, all!

Phil and Brian, you should do yourself a favor and make the show. They were great and we all really enjoyed it.

Bob, I don't remember the songs that were being played at the time as I was so into gettting the shots, and because I can't identify many of their songs by name. I do know that it was not Clocks as that was played later. One of the songs in my 3 song shoot was Yellow, which I belive was being played in the smokey gray background pics.

Very cool' date=' Cameron! Getting to be quite the band photographer ;)

My wife & I have tickets to go see them next week here in Dallas, however it's looking increasingly like the day will be a potentially very exceptionally busy day for me so I may not make it. Bah.[/quote']

Well hopefully your wife will still go

Phil and Brian, you should do yourself a favor and make the show. They were great and we all really enjoyed it.

I'd love to (more for Rilo Kiley than Coldplay but that's by the by) but it's highly likely work just will plain get in the way. We're trying to submit to Sony that weekend, and that means Friday night we need to ftp a build to Majesco (so they can send it to Sony the next day). That means it will be 'all hands on deck' in case something gets caught by the testers at the last minute.

So me being at a concert on the other side of Dallas wouldn't be good :) And Kelley, of course Rose will still go, she'll drag a friend along.

I'd love to (more for Rilo Kiley than Coldplay but that's by the by)

Rilo Kiley also opened for Coldplay here. I didnt get a chance to see much of them, but one of my buddies love them.

These are AWESOME, Cameron! Can I ask you for some photo advice? What's the secret to getting proper exposure in low-light situations? I have a point-and-shoot digicam (Sony DSC-P200), and I don't know how to shoot in dim lighting without everything coming out blurry. Can you give me some pointers?

Thanks! There's several factors involved in getting a good low-light shot, but I'd have to say my main "secret" is using lenses with very wide apertures. That lens I used for all of the Coldplay pics was the Canon 85/1.8, with the 1.8 being the aperture. It simply allows more light into the camera.

The downside of using a lens like this is that it is usually a Prime lens with a fixed focal length (it's not a zoom). Most lenses and cameras usually dont open any wider than f2.8.

Another factor is the ISO setting or "film speed", which can range from 100 to 3200. Those first couple of really close shots of Chris Martin were taken at 1600 ISO. You can almost tell this by just looking the digital noise in the blacks of those pics. I probably could have used ISO 800 and gotten a better quality shot.

Next is shutter speed, which when slowed down can get more light into the camera. The negative side of lowering shutter speed is, if it is open at anything slower than about 1/125th of a second (give or take), you will get blur with anything handheld (like you described).

A good exposure is usually just playing with the balance of the 3 factors listed above. You can go to the full gallery on my site and check out some of my pic's exif data to see how each was shot. For most of the Coldplay pics, I just set the ISO high enough, and let the camera automatically pick the aperture. I could tell if it was too low if the camera kept bottoming out at f1.8.

I looked up your camera's specs. Its widest aperatrue is f2.8, and you can set your ISO as high as 400. Your main problem will be limitations of the hardware. If you look at this pic, it was one of the better lit scenes, and I had the camera set to ISO 800 and the camera used an aperture of f2.0, both out of your cameras range.

But that doesn't mean you can't get great low light/no flash shots with your camera. You will just have to use a tripod or steady object and use a slower shutter speed. If you can do this, you can essentially have the shutter open for seconds at a time to get a good enough exposure (as long as your subject isnt moving too fast). Also, ISO 400/f2.8 will work fine in alot of situations. You could have probably taken alot of those shots yourself. Just hold the camera steady and take as many as you can ;)

There may also be some other tricks im not thinking about because the pro photog that was standing next to me used some lenses that I think were around the f2.8 range. Im not sure how well his turned out.

Thanks so much for the tips, Cameron. I haven't played around much with the manual settings of my camera, but I will definitely look into them in more detail to see what I can do to improve my shots.

I'd been doing exactly what you described above - just trying to brace the camera against something and hold it as still as possible while the shutter is open. Here's an example - the Tokyo skyline from the observatory on the 52nd floor of Roppongi Hills. This is one of the better ones, but you can still see blurriness (and the prolonged exposure blew out the colors in the Shiodome area on the left side):

skyline4bw.th.jpg

And then sometimes you somehow just catch lightning in a bottle. This one was shot in Shinjuku in pretty much full-auto mode, handheld. Much better result.

shinjuku22ek.th.jpg

Thanks so much for the tips' date=' Cameron. I haven't played around much with the manual settings of my camera, but I will definitely look into them in more detail to see what I can do to improve my shots.

I'd been doing exactly what you described above - just trying to brace the camera against something and hold it as still as possible while the shutter is open. Here's an example - the Tokyo skyline from the observatory on the 52nd floor of Roppongi Hills. This is one of the better ones, but you can still see blurriness (and the prolonged exposure blew out the colors in the Shiodome area on the left side):

skyline4bw.th.jpg

And then sometimes you somehow just catch lightning in a bottle. This one was shot in Shinjuku in pretty much full-auto mode, handheld. Much better result.

shinjuku22ek.th.jpg

Wow, both of those shots look great! The first one is blown out a little like you said, but I kind of like the glow effect. You could probably play with that a little bit to get it crisper.

The second one is one of those examples where it's not impossible to get a good low light shot. Do you know if both of those were at ISO400 and f2.8?

Two "praying to the porcelain gods" shots and no chunkage? For shame...

Those two shots were faked and taken specifically for the people who didnt show up. We talked up the party the next day to people telling them how "crazy" it was, when inreality it was so low key. That also explains the girls on the bed at "9am" when i reality it was 9pm, just before we went out. :)

Wow, both of those shots look great! The first one is blown out a little like you said, but I kind of like the glow effect. You could probably play with that a little bit to get it crisper.

The second one is one of those examples where it's not impossible to get a good low light shot. Do you know if both of those were at ISO400 and f2.8?

Thanks for the compliments, Cameron! I'm not entirely sure what settings the camera was on; I'm sure I was just shooting in a basically full-auto mode but I don't know whether it will adjust ISO and aperture by itself.

Haha, that's great! The building on the right side of that shot is actually Roppongi Hills, where I took the one of the skyline!