LCVG

The Revolution Controller - Yay or Nay?

Romier S

What do you think of the Revolution Controller?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What do you think of the Revolution Controller?

• Brilliant design! It should make for some VERY interesting games.
    • Decent. I'm somewhat ambivalent towards it right now. I need to see games.
    • What the hell was Nintendo thinking? Utterly ridiculous design. No thanks.
    • I don't care. There will be no next gen systems for me. I'm still playing my current systems.

I'm leaning toward decent right now. It's an interesting idea, and one that could generate some seriously fun games. However, I always prefer to hold a controller in my hands before finalizing an opinion. With something like this, you not only need that but you need to see what kind of games could justify such a radical new design.

We'll see I guess.

With one caveat: I think it's brilliant in that the Revolution will not be the only console I will own. I will still want some standard action, RPG, etc. fare on the "standard" consoles, if that makes any sense.

I think you are in good company here with the vast majority of us being multi-console owners. I'm just glad to have the option for something different along with the standard games we are used to (and I will continue to buy).

I think you are in good company here with the vast majority of us being multi-console owners. I'm just glad to have the option for something different along with the standard games we are used to (and I will continue to buy).

Absolutely. I'm usually first in line for things like EyeToy, Samba, DDR, Donkey Konga, etc. This is gonna be one fun machine. I'm starting to think of it as the "party console," if you will.

Seems stupid. All of my other gimmicky toys like bongos, steel battalion controller, lightguns, steering wheels, etc have gotten tossed into the closet after a few uses. I play video games to relax. If I feel like wildly flailing around, I go outside and play basketball. The controller might be fun for a few minutes, but it will become tiresome over an extended play session.

This will probably be the first system in a long time that I don't buy. The Gamecube had a very slim library. I bought it mainly based on expectations of first party games, and most of them fell way short of what I had come to expect from Nintendo. Chances are that with a controller like this, even less companies will be making games for Nintendo's system. If it becomes common practice to port games over by utilizing a controller attachment, the 'goofy' controller becomes marginalized, making me wonder if it will happen that only a select few games even use it.

I can't help but wonder what the public reaction will be. So far the poll here shows a bit over half liking the controller, and that's coming from a population sample most likely to be receptive and open to it. Most of the more casual people I know (ie: the types that wouldn't be responding to a poll on a video game forum) regard it as somewhat of a laughingstock. Let's just say that it got its fair share of derisive comments around the office. The only way I'll be considering this system now is if Nintendo shows a Mario game much much much better than Mario Sunshine.

I dont see this as a short lived gimmick at all. To me, Im more excited about how much more control this new system is going to give me!

It's already been said the the possibilites of game ideas are endless!! We're not talking about a light gun that you only use for Duck Hunt or Time Crisis. This is a whole new way to PLAY games.

The general public is going to eat this system up. Imagine going into a Best Buy with a Revolution Demo Kiosk. Sure everyone will think the controller is some sort of remote, but can you imagine the small crowds that would form watching someone play a game with this thing. It's so innovative that people are going to take notice.

I used to get tired of Nintendo's philosophy of making "simpler" games for everyone to play. This time, I with them 100%. Alot of my friends aren't gamers, and I can't wait to get this system, because they will ALL play this with me. Nintendo made the controller look like a remote for a reason. It's simple and everyone uses one daily. Some people in my office saw the video, and all were really impressed with the design.

If it's marketed the right way, especially with in-store demos, this could be the Ipod of the videogame world, people.