LCVG

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy: The Complete Scores -UPDATE: ROTK Announced!

Angry the Clown

Well here it is. After months and months of them trying to work out precisely how to deliver the complete scores for the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Shore and co have settled on staggered releases for all three scores, beginning on the 22nd of November with The Fellowship of the Ring as a four-disc set.

This historic release contains over 180 minutes of music on three CDs, comprising the full score of the 2001 film, composed by Howard Shore. "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Complete Recordings" marks the first edition of the three complete recording releases of the film trilogy whose score has been honored with three Academy Awards, four Grammy Awards, and two Golden Globe Awards. This deluxe set also includes exclusive new artwork, packaging, and extensive liner notes culled from "The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films," to be published in 2006. Enya's song "May It Be," which received an Oscar nomination for Best Original Song and which she performed at the Academy Awards ceremony, is contained on "The Complete Recordings" within all-new selection titles that reflect the complete score being released in its entirety for the first time.

And the forth disc? Why it’s a DVD with the complete score in 5.1 *faints*

Daniel

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22nd is a Tuesday I believe. Makes sense since America normally gets its goods on the shelves on Tuesdays most of the time. It could dictate either the 21st or 25th for Europe. I'll probe some sources and try to find out. I'd also like to know what it's going to cost.

Anxious to see pictures of the package too.

Daniel

I'm not sure on that, Chuck. It's possible both Two Towers and Return of the King will be with us by Christmas of 2006 which could be six months between each release.

I've e-mailed Doug Adams with a couple of questions, not about future release dates but specifically in regards to how the DVD has been encoded - whether it is lossy DD/DTS 5.1 or full on MLP (given the length of the recording I'd imagine it's lossy). His book on the scores is out in 2006, and the liner notes on the CD releases are all written by him too.

I've also asked him if unused/alternate material has made the release as was originally planned way back when they were looking at doing one big mega set, or whether they've dropped this idea altogether. I hope not, I'd have much rather have had a 4th disc of unused and alternate cues that a 5.1 DVD. We shall see. Can't say for sure when Doug will be able to get back to me.

Daniel

Right well I've heard back from Doug. He's of the impression the DVD will be presented as 5.1 PCM and that the 22nd of Nov is a global release date. He's not 100% certain on either at this point in time however so do be cautious on running around the room screaming with joy as far as the PCM news is concerned. :)

Daniel

I've been waiting to hear news on these releases since the rumors of a big box set started surfacing. Now that it's here and it looks as though this will be one of the most comprehensive film score collections out there just damn near makes me want to hug Shore and all involved for making this happen. I would love to see something simiiar done for Williams and his music from Star Wars.

I would love to see something simiiar done for Williams and his music from Star Wars.

You and me both. I'd love to think the release of the LOTR scores might prompt the powers that be to make that happen. Revisit all 6 scores and deliver every single bit of music as recorded, including Ewok celebration...etc that George no longer cares to think exists...

Daniel

• 3 weeks later...

Doug Adams has spoken out a little more about how it is all edited together. Essentially it is whatd I’d call “ipod safe” I am pleased to say. This means we'll get rather lengthy individual tracks rather that tracks that merge from one to the next (which on ipods would of course cause horrible breaks in the music). Essentially he has said wherever a stop in music occurs in the musical narrative, a track will end.

Regarding unused material he has said anything unused from FOTR has been restored to its rightful place where it was intended to be. Since little went unused in FOTRs score there will not be as much unheard material on the first set as we’re likely to hear on the complete releases of The Two Towers and Return of the King which he has hinted will probably be sets larger in scale than Fellowship to accommodate such additional material.

Daniel

First the slightly bad news that the release now appears to have suffered a delay with the 6th of December now being the new release date, the same day Shore's score for King Kong is due in stores. The 'Fellowship' set is already up for pre-order from a few US retailers for a very repsectable $60.

Here is the tracklisting, which has been confirmed by Doug Adams:

Disc One

1 Prologue: One Ring To Rule Them All

2 The Shire

3 Bag End

4 Very Old Friends

5 Flaming Red Hair

6 Farewell Dear Bilbo

7 Keep It Secret, Keep It Safe

8 A Conspiracy Unmasked

9 Three Is Company

10 The Passing Of The Elves

11 Saruman The White

12 A Shortcut To Mushrooms

13 Strider

14 The Nazgûl

Disc Two

1 Weathertop

2 The Caverns Of Isengard

3 Give Up The Halfling

4 Orthanc

5. Rivendell

6 The Sword That Was Broken

7 The Council Assembles

8 The Great Eye

9 Gilraen's Memorial

10 The Pass Of Caradhras

11 The Doors Of Durin

12 Moria

13 Gollum

14 Balin's Tomb

Disc Three

1 Khazad-dûm

2 Caras Galadhon

3 The Mirror Of Galadriel

4 The Fighting Uruk-hai

5 Parth Galen

6 The Departure Of Boromir

7 The Road Goes Ever On…

'Flaming Red Hair' is the source music from Bilbo's Birthday celebrations, written and performed by Plan 9. Nice to see some of the non-Shore material included.

As you can see from the way the cues are set out, the majority of tracks are going to be long, but the structure is ideally suited to the intention of delivering the story thematically in music. Doug gave an example of how one of the tracks is made up and said: "The “Leaving Lothórien” sequence is actually in track 4 “The Fighting Uruk-Hai.” The track goes all the way up through the Argonath passage, until the Fellowship arrives at Parth Galen."

Daniel

A brief update for fellow nerds. I've spoken with Doug a little regarding the final track as I was curious how Breaking of the Fellowship and the end credits would be presented - whether it would be essentially a merging of the two final tracks from the 2001 album or slightly different, and it turns out it will be the latter.

As it is in the film itself, on this release The Breaking of the Fellowship flows into May it Be, which then flows in to In Dreams with the piece ending with that reprise of the fellowship theme from Rivendell as it did on the 2001 album and in the film. I've had to ask Doug whether this means that beautiful rise in the strings that directly follows Ross' In Dreams vocal is still retained as it was abruptly cut out in the film credits which always upset me. I'll assume it is as it should be here (since such bad edits throughout the score are restored to their rightful place for this release), but I should hear back from Doug soon on that matter and know for sure.

Daniel

If the news of Shore’s score for King Kong apparently being rejected isn’t enough to piss his fans off, Amazon is now quoting a release date of the 13th of December for the Fellowship: Complete Recordings release. Of course, Amazon is not always 100% reliable so time will tell whether the set has indeed suffered another brief delay.

The 13th is one day before King Kong opens in cinemas. If Shore’s Kong score has indeed be tossed out as multiple sources are starting to suggest, and Warner/Reprise were merely looking to cash in on Jackson’s latest, then the FOTR release could be brought forward again now that it may not be able to ride the hype of a new Jackson/Shore collaboration.

Daniel

Doug Adams has confirmed the release date is now the 13th of December, the delay which was due to some business with lawyers and some last minute concerns. He assured everyone at the FSM board it's still all running smoothly however so we must sit tight and await the 13th. He also says the track listing has been updated slightly and he will be sharing that soon.

Daniel

Here is the final track list.

Disc One

01 Prologue: One Ring to Rule Them All

02 The Shire

03 Bag End

04 Very Old Friends

05 Flaming Red Hair

06 Farewell Dear Bilbo

07 Keep It Secret, Keep It Safe

08 A Conspiracy Unmasked

09 Three Is Company

10 The Passing of The Elves

11 Saruman the White

12 A Shortcut to Mushrooms

13 Strider

14 The Nazg?l

Disc Two

01 Weathertop

02 The Caverns of Isengard

03 Give Up the Halfling

04 Orthanc

05. Rivendell

06 The Sword That Was Broken

07 The Council of Elrond Assembles Featuring “An?ron (Theme for Aragorn and Arwen)” Composed & performed by Enya

08 The Great Eye

09 Gilraen's Memorial

10 The Pass of Caradhras

11 The Doors of Durin

12 Moria

13 Gollum

14 Balin's Tomb

Disc Three

01 Khazad-d?m

02 Caras Galadhon Featuring “Lament for Gandalf” performed by Elizabeth Fraser

03 The Mirror Of Galadriel

04 The Fighting Uruk-hai

05 Parth Galen

06 The Departure Of Boromir

07 The Road Goes Ever On… Pt. 1

08 May It Be Composed & performed by Enya

09 The Road Goes Ever On… Pt. 2 Featuring “In Dreams” performed by Edrward Ross

Daniel

I'm going to have to get a contact for Warner Music UK as the set has still not been announced for release outside of America.

I'm assuming with the track list altered and the final track now split into three that it is still 'ipod safe'... It'd be a shame if all is fine until the very end and ipod users suffer gaps between the last three tracks. I think they could have extended disc 3 by allowing for an extra individual track or two. Certainly I think Parth Galen could have been split allowing the Amon Hen fight to be it's own cue. It'll be interesting to see how easy it is to edit the longer tracks into individual segments for purposes of making a whittled down LOTR score compilation in future.