LCVG

Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire (trailers n' that)

Angry the Clown

A new trailer has surfaced. You can see it here. This one is more revealing that the international trailer that leaked onto the net the other month, although I prefer the structure of the international trailer. That said, I do like what's to be seen here, especially Sirius' face in the fire.

Here is the international trailer from last month for those that have not seen it. Well worth checking out alongside the new one released today.

Daniel

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here be the International poster. A close look shows John Williams credited for 'Harry Potter Themes' so that's decent confirmation that Patrick Doyle will indeed be giving nods to past motifs. That'll keep things nicely consistent, but I can not wait to hear Doyle's original material. He's such a brilliant composer.

It’s going to be a fantastic winter season for film score fans.

Daniel

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve been debating whether to post the CD track listing for some time as it contains some utterly ridiculous spoilers as track titles so those who don’t know the book had best turn away. The CD is out on the 15th of November.

The track ‘Do The Hippogriff’ I’m going to assume is one of the film’s songs. Jarvis Cocker and Steve Mackey from Pulp collaborated with Jonny Greenwood and Phil Selway from Radiohead to form a band that will be seen performing music at the Yule Ball during the film… How many other tracks are songs no one is sure, though to look at the listing it is quite possible the last two in addition to ‘Do the Hippogriff’ are also songs. Track 21 could be too, or it could be another Doyle composition.

ABSOLUTELY ABSURD SPOILER FILLED CD TRACK LISTING

01. The Story Continues

02. Frank Dies

03. The Quidditch World Cup

04. The Dark Mark

05. Foreign Visitors Arrive

06. The Goblet Of Fire

07. Rita Skeeteer

08. Sirius Fire

09. Harry Sees Dragons

10. Golden Egg

11. Neville's Waltz

12. Harry In Winter

13. Potter Waltz

14. Underwater Secrets

15. The Black Lake

16. Hogwarts' March

17. The Maze

18. Voldemort

19. Death Of Cedric

20 Another Year Ends

21. Hogwarts' Hymn

22. Do The Hippogriff

23. This Is The Night

24. Magic Works

Daniel

With the poster crediting John Williams for 'Harry Potter Themes' a print out of the film's complete End Credits sent out for publicity purposes only credits Hedwig's Theme to Williams, in which case Doyle has done a tremendous amount of new work for this which has me rather excited.

It would appear tracks 22, 23 and 24 are indeed all songs on the album.

There's a great Patrick Doyle interview here.. He lists his top five scores and why he thinks they're so good. Beyond the understandable choices he lists it warmed my heart to see him praise Mulan and The Player.

There's another good interview with him here where he mentions the "zillions" of themes he has written for Goblet of Fire.

Daniel

Ateaseweb is hosting not only 'The Story Continues' - the opening music cue from Patrick Doyle's score for the Goblet of Fire, but also one of the film's songs entitled 'This is the Night'.

Click the link for the downloads:

http://www.ateaseweb.com/news/archive/2005/10/exclusive_harry.php

The Doyle cue is great. Not enough to get a good sense of the rest of the score as it is so short, but it is somewhat reminiscent of his score to Frankenstein, and the cue has an interesting statement of Williams’ Hedwig theme thrown in for good measure.

'This is the Night' grew on me. I many ways I have to applaud the filmmakers for at least trying something different and diverting from the blatantly whimsical songs one might have come to expect from the Yule Ball scene. Lyrically, what is sung in this song at least seems to be in tune with the raging hormones of the lead characters.

In other news, the film has been given a 12a rating here in in the UK.

"The tone of the film is much scarier and darker than its predecessors," a statement from the BBFC read. "We expect most parents will still take their children but they should be aware that youngsters of a nervous disposition might be upset."

Curious to see what you think of the Cocker/Selway/Greenwood song link there, Iain. Must say having listened to it a few times it has grown on me, and lyrically it does seem to work within the context of the scene given what is going through the kids minds. Three songs, on the CD at least, might be overkill - especially if they significantly steal good space for more of Doyle's work. Hopefully there is at least an hour of score on the album.

Right, I've just listened to both tracks.

Firstly, Doyle's opening score number. Loved it. I was really nervous with Williams off the reins, as I didn't think that much of the Chamber Of Secrets score. But that was really, really good. I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised; his work for both Gosford Park and Sense & Sensibility was top stuff.

As for the song, I think I need a few more listens to get my head fully round it, but it's definitely going on heavy rotation for a while. I went in with a preconceived expectation of something Radioheady, but Jarvis has taken real control. This is actually a good thing, as I (heart) Pulp more than a bit. Jonny is has still got his lovely complex twangy guitar stuff going on as well underneath, which is what demands the concentration - Yep, that's definitely a winner.

Newell is really pushing for the teen angst aspect which I think, for those I have seen trashing the song today, many are going to be struck by when they see the film. I think the songs will work I have to say, given what Newell has said about the approach he is taking with everything. The Yule Ball could be deeply flawed or we could come away thinking it to be one of the film's most superbly realised and brilliant scenes... I’m quickly coming to sense it could be the latter.

The big question for me that springs to mind listening to it, is if Jarvis is playing Jarvis, or is he going to tone it down to avoid distracting from the main character events? I really, really hope the former, even if it's only for a few seconds.

The rest of the film could be worse than the end of Four Weddings, and I'd still go just to see Jarv.

I'd be amazed if he does away with his usual stage mannerisms I must admit. For the film, the band is called The Weird Sisters. I can’t recall whether that was a Rowling invention in the book or not, but they're all meant to be wizards... A Canadian band of the same name (though of 'Wyrd' spelling) is trying to sue Warner at the moment. . So far, no images of what the band looks like in the film have been released.