Warhawk - PS3

kelley

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Wow. IF this is true, the hits just keep on coming...

From Joystiq:

Rumor Reporter has confirmed that Incognito's Warhawk is the subject of the site's ominous story posted early this morning. An anonymous source working on the title has allegedly told Rumor Reporter that development has "stalled completely." Supposed "infighting and lack of clear direction" have led to a swelling budget; in turn, prompting layoffs and employee migration.

SCEA has apparently brought in a new director who may be considering a significant change of direction for Warhawk. What was once a high profile title (the first to utilize functioning Sixaxis motion control), may now become a simple downloadable game. Rumor Reporter suggests that Warhawk's four complete missions could be destined for PlayStation Store. Another Gran Turismo HD? Perhaps. But, for now, this is strictly rumor.

We did contact Sony for a statement. Here's the predictable reply: "We haven't made any official announcements regarding Warhawk since last year. At this time, we have nothing new to report regarding this title."

David Jaffe commented on some of the rumors via a thread on the Gaming-Age forums and has noted that the game is not "cancelled" but tip toed around the status of Warhawk at the moment. He did post some commentary which makes it sound as though Joystiq's source is a former ex-employee and also alluded to the troubled development cycle the game has gone through. However, this is still squarely in the rumor category at best.

From my standpoint if it pulls the game into focus and gets rid of the absolutely out of place on-foot stuff; more power to them. I'll give it a look on the PSN when I have my PS3.

• 1 month later...

So do we now have confirmation that Warhawk is indeed a PSN title only? It certainly appears so. Even more suprising is that it looks like it may end up being multiplayer only!

One of the 1up editors is preparing to head off to Incognito to check out how Warhawk is coming along and he notes the following:

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=7894167&publicUserId=4561231

What I do know is that some interesting cuts choices have indeed been made in terms of its scope, and I'm curious to see how they'll go over with people (myself included). What Warhawk has apparently evolved into is a multiplayer-only title featuring ground and air combat that'll be downloadable from PSN. That's definitely not the Warhawk experience I'd imagined when I first saw the trailer two years ago. But that's not to say I've lost excitement over it, either -- for all I know, it could still be pretty freaking cool -- it's just not what I expected.

We've heard simliiar rumors in the past and it's definitely an interesting direction to take the game. I will be a bit saddened if the game has indeed changed focus to a purely muliplayer experience though. I was hoping for a great single player game that surpassed the original game on the PSX.

So that's what Shane on 1up was talking about. A PSN only game that would surprise you. So I guess in a sense the rumors that Warhawk was dead, were sort of true. In an Anakin becomes Darth Vader sort of way.

I dunno...I'd say it's more like Anakin becomes Mr. Potatohead Vader. :) Going from a flagship title into a stripped down online-only game is a pretty big fall from grace and notoriety, whereas Vader was still pretty notorious!

Going from a flagship title into a stripped down online-only game is a pretty big fall from grace and notoriety, whereas Vader was still pretty notorious!

That's assuming that Warhawk doesn't become a flagship title for the Sony PSN. Sony has been fairly adamant about trying to push a different kind of download service than XBLA and having a full Warhawk title with lovely visuals and tight gameplay available for download for $15.00 -$20.00 seems like a great way to do it.

Flow was supposed to be that big flagship title and it seems to be generating zero buzz. :) With no sort of singleplayer mechanics I don't see Warhawk doing much more to crank up interest in the online store.

It's akin to GT HD. This was supposed to be a hugely important game for the PS3...then it more or less got cut as PD decided to shift focus on GT5, got turned into a very short free demo, and, while it's cool, it's not exactly generating a lot of interest for the PS3.

As a multiplayer-only game, what if the people that download it don't have an internet connection?

The irony is palpable.:lol

Flow was supposed to be that big flagship title and it seems to be generating zero buzz.

Which has exactly what to do with Warhawk?

If we're talking some level of ridiculous precedent for all future PSN titles, well the last I checked Perfect Dark Zero was supposed to be Microsoft's flagship title at launch right? Call of Duty 2 knows just how well that worked out.

Though since we're tossing out non sequiturs anyway, Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection has generated a great deal of buzz since its release in Japan. It's looking to be a great showcase for the type of content we may end up seeing on the PSN in the future. Calling All Cars from Jaffe and Sony Santa Monica is another game that could lead the way for Sony's download service and it has plenty of buzz. An online, cheap, and more importantly focused Warhawk game could very well do the same.

How dare Sony take a game in utter development hell and try make something useful and interesting out of it?!

GTHD.... This was supposed to be a hugely important game for the PS3

It was? It was microtransaction hell the last time I checked and judging from the reaction to the "al la carte" nature of the game, Sony made the right decision in scrapping it and releasing a small preview of the inevitable Gran Turismo 5 (which will sell).

I just realized they really screwed up with the Warhawk thing. As a multiplayer-only game, what if the people that download it don't have an internet connection?

:lol

It was? It was microtransaction hell the last time I checked and judging from the reaction to the "al la carte" nature of the game, Sony made the right decision in scrapping it and releasing a small preview of the inevitable Gran Turismo 5 (which will sell).

Hell yes it was :) I know lots of folks waiting for a new GT before they buy a PS3.

And yes indeed they made the right decision in scrapping microtransactions in GT HD, but I have no allusions that we won't be seeing some remnants of it in GT5.

Flow was supposed to be that big flagship title

What? I have to say, that's the first time I ever heard something like that. Flow is a FREE game on PC's everywhere, it was never considered "Flagship". It was just another game showing what can be down on PSN.

Sorry to bring Flow up again in this "Warhawk" thread... I'm done.

T.

IGN has the exclusive reveal of Warhawk right now. It's in thier IGN weekly show. I'm downloading it now but a few important tidbits:

- PSN Downloadable Title, Online Only.

- 32 Players are confirmed, they might increase it, but definitely won't decrease it.

- Maps are HUGE! Maybe bigger than Resistance Maps.

- All the match types are there: Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, Zone/Territory, etc etc...

- Deep Character and Vehicle Customization

- Dedicated Servers

- Will feature alot of Downloadable content: expect Expansion Packs, New Maps, Weapons, Vehicles and character skins.

- Controls configurations are great. You can turn SIXAXIS On or Off for Vehicles, Planes, or both...

- ALOT of Rewards and Medals that will keep the replay value alive and kicking.

- Voice IP Support.

EDIT: Added more features

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so now Sony is saying Warhawk is NOT a PSN downloadable title, but a Blu-Ray disc bound release but still multiplayer only.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/772/772517p1.html

WarHawk Confirmed for Blu-ray

Sony validates at least one format for upcoming shooter.

by Jeremy Dunham

US, March 13, 2007 - The Sony team made waves last week when it announced that its flight-based actioner Warhawk would be playable only as an online experience. This lack of single-player support became an immediate point of speculation for Internet folk, who debated furiously as to whether or not this meant that the game would be downloadable from the PS Store file or available on a Blu-ray disc.

Today, Sony representatives gave us at least one part of the answer...

"Officially, Warhawk will be released as a Blu-ray-based product," commented our SCEA rep. "It will see release in late summer."

This didn't address the various reports coming out of GDC, however, that claimed Phil Harrison revealed Warhawk to be "available as only a download" at a blogger's event held at the Palomar Hotel during Day two of the show.

If you want to play Warhawk, you'll have to buy a disc, not a download.

"That's a misinterpretation," replied Sony's spokesperson. "Phil was only addressing what the future of downloadable content meant for the industry and how important online support will be for games. He didn't make any announcements."

"We were just in a discussion about the future of consoles and downloadable content," said IGN's Hilary Goldstein, who was in attendance at the blogger's event in question. "Harrison said that 'by the next generation of consoles there likely wouldn't be a need for disc-based media.' That's how we got onto the whole subject of Warhawk and how there's already a discussion for a beta program, the benefits of downloadable demos, etc. But never did he actually say 'Warhawk will be available only as a download.'"

When we asked Sony if Warhawk would ever appear as a downloadable PS Store game similar to Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection or flOw, Sony replied, "It's a disk-based product."