LCVG

EVE- And you thought LCVG members were hardcore gamers

JoeyN

I actually went ahead and paid the $20 to try it for a month. After reading a lot about the game and then playing through the initial tutorial, I'm very interested. It seems like it might suit me. I'll just have to see how it actually plays after a month. Unfortunately, my video card (a 6800 GT) just went and died on me last night, so I won't be diving in just yet :/

I can see why the most entertaining aspect of the game is scamming other players.

I want to add to this quote. Because the game is so open and so do whatever you want, it has created a whole class of players who do nothing but capture other players for ransom, which in turn has created another class of players that are highered killers. Kidnapp the wrong person and they can put bounty on your head so high that you won't be able fly safely through territory not controlled by your corporation.

I want to add to this quote. Because the game is so open and so do whatever you want, it has created a whole class of players who do nothing but capture other players for ransom, which in turn has created another class of players that are highered killers. Kidnapp the wrong person and they can put bounty on your head so high that you won't be able fly safely through territory not controlled by your corporation.

Now that's what I call a player-based economy! So are there no rules at all about griefing, etc. that might get a player banned?

Now that's what I call a player-based economy! So are there no rules at all about griefing, etc. that might get a player banned?

Just "what goes around, comes around". The zones each have a safety rating, the higher the rating the quicker the cops(NPC) will come to help you.

From what I understand (which is very little, considering the apparent depth of the game), ya, you can do whatever the game allows. That seems to be the whole point of EVE: player-driven everything. I don't think the game allows for any really annoying griefing, though (nothing people would want others banned over).

• 1 month later...

I just had to revive this thread (even if nobody cares :P) to say that I'm still playing the game and I'm totally loving it. It might be the first MMO I stick with a for a good while, thanks to the odd way you don't really have to play it to continue to advance.

That's for the original post, Capt. I owe you one (I still wouldn't have heard of the game otherwise) :)

I'm genuinely curious about what's keeping you playing Covak? I haven't tried the game since it's initial launch and I wouldn't be opposed to giving it another shot. I'm wondering how things have improved and what's compelling about the experience for you?

A huge part of it is really that you can spend a lot of time not playing it, just flying arond on autopilot. So much DS gaming goodness while I'm flying around for the best deals :) You get sound while it's minimized, too, so you can just do other stuff on your computer. And the fact that you can really not play it all, besides logging in to pick the next skill to advance, I like. Already, thanks to F.E.A.R. and Civilization IV, I've taken little breaks from EVE, but since my character still advanced I had new abilities and things to do the next time I played. In the long run, when I take multi-month breaks for the likes of Halo 3 and Splinter Cell 4 on Live, I can already imagine what skills I'll train in EVE so that when I get back into it I'll have access to new ship types and equipment. It seems like it's easy enough to earn the cash to buy things, too, so I never feel like I'm grinding for all that new stuff. I just have to play a little and wait for the skills to come.

And I enjoy the way it plays when I'm actually playing it, too. I like how there are no classes and you can just refit your ship (or switch ships) to play different roles. One character, so many posibilities. Once I got into things a little I didn't have to try very hard to set all kinds of short/medium/long term goals for myself.

I find the combat interesting, too. Machine guns, artilery cannons, energy weapons, shields/armor/structure, ammuniton types, electronic warfare, etc, all speaks to me a lot more than the melee/ranged weapons and spells and armor/resistances in fantasy games.

And I love the harsh PvP, even though I haven't experienced it much myself, yet. I caught the tail end of a brief corp war. The fighting was already over, and we were just running the stragglers out of the system and making sure they understood: steal our ore and we'll hunt you all down and kill you. They ended up paying us a decent amount and promising to stay away from us in the future. It was too cool :) That PvP is such a big part of the game and that corporations (and alliances) can wage wars on each other, wars that have can have a real impact, motivates me to reach all those long-term goals, so that I can slip into various roles as needed to do what I want and make my own little mark on the universe. And it's one universe for all players. Another great feature.

The game is beautiful, too, which doesn't hurt.

Eesh, I'm just a rambling fanboy now... I guess you could say I just kinda like everything about the game at this point :)

• 9 months later...
It has been estimated that the stolen 790 billion ISK could fetch as much as $170,000 in the real-world marketplace, and this type of thinking leads some to believe that the overtaxed real-world legal system may at some point get involved when an in-game economic catastrophe occurs.

Ok, someone set me straight. Is this similar to people paying thousands of dollars in real money for a virtual island? If this guy were to ebay aquired assets (790 billion ISK), the bidding could get up to thousands in real dollars?

Ok, someone set me straight. Is this similar to people paying thousands of dollars in real money for a virtual island? If this guy were to ebay aquired assets (790 billion ISK), the bidding could get up to thousands in real dollars?

I wouldn't expect a single crazy auction like that. 790 billion ISK is a ridiculous amount. It'd probably sell in smaller chunks of around 100 million ISK for $10 - $20 each.

I'll be interested to see if the EVE population reacts in any meaningful way. If ever there was a game in which the good guys needed to organize and band together...

• 1 month later...
Hehehehe :) That story makes me miss the game. I still love it to death and my character is still advancing, but it gets so little play time :(

Heh, so that story was all it took to get people at work talking about the game again, and a couple are actually trying it now, which got me playing it more again, and now I've gone crazy and started a second account (for another $15 USD per month :eh). Good times, good times :)