LCVG

Logitech MX610 cordless laser mouse

db

Does anyone have this yet? It looks like a wireless version of the superb MX510, with some extra features thrown in. What's most appealing to me is it can easily be used with a laptop, because it uses the small USB receiver used by notebook mice.

I've been waiting for a comfortable, full-sized mouse that was fit for laptop use. Those notebook mice are handy, but they're just too small and lack backward/forward buttons.

The MX610 features a laser pickup, not optical. It also automatically shuts off, turns on, and sleeps in synch with the computer. It has lights that come on when you get a new e-mail or IM, but that seems like a frivolous extra. All-in-all it seems ideal, presuming there are no bugs. I think I'll get one soon.

I went from an MX1000 (laser) to an MX518 (optical) and I find the MX518 actually tracks a little better. Laser shmazer.

But, seriously, do either of them give you problems tracking? To me the biggest advantage of the laser is the battery life is like 10x longer...major hassle reduction in only needing to charge the thing once a month.

But, seriously, do either of them give you problems tracking? To me the biggest advantage of the laser is the battery life is like 10x longer...major hassle reduction in only needing to charge the thing once a month.

Well, the MX1000 was useless with my trusty old cloth mouse pad, but I found that a cloth pad sucks for a mouse that heavy, anyway. But I thought the laser tracking was supposed to be all that and a bag of chips.

If the battery life is that much better, though, I'd probably go laser, too.

I just got the mx1000 a week ago and of the three charge bars, only one has now gone off. And I use my computer a lot of the time. I also find the tracking at least equal to my old mx510, using a $10 Everglide pad. The 510 was only replaced because the scoll wheel woudn't work anymore. The weight of the 1000 is also improved from the mx700; a mouse that, looking back, I really dislike.

Sean

I find the mx1000 a bit too heavy after my old wired optical mouse but I adjusted to it quickly. The tracking is sooooo much better than my sucky old IBM Micro Innovations mouse.

I use this mousepad: last-exile-mousepad.jpg

from my Last Exile LE Box.

The only problem I hit is that if I get anything on the mousepad (somehow stuff is always getting on the pad) or the bottom of the mouse, it causes me problems. I have to keep it clean.

The tracking is way better than my old cheapass optical mouse. I can't compare with an MX518/618/510/610 etc though. I have only my my wife's 5-yr-old Logitech optical mouse to compare to (and she has the cord hanging right off the edge, it pulls on the mouse, ick, I can't stand that).

It holds a charge forever. I charge mine once every 2-3 weeks at most, and often go almost a month without charging it...so rarely I never remember to put it on the recharger. I had an instance when it died during an online game of Battle for Middle Earth (The low battery warning was going for a couple of days but I forgot to recharge it). I told my troops to Guard and left it on the charger for about 1.5-2 minutes...got enough charge in it to play for another 10-15 minutes and finish kicking my opponent's ass. :D

The G7 looks really nice, too, but it costs more than I'm willing to spend, and it doesn't seem to have any significant features above and beyond those offered by the MX610 that I'd find useful. I already placed an order for the MX610; should be here Monday.