LCVG

The GBA-SP with a brighter screen no less.

Romier S

I'm very surprised that Nintendo would release an updated version of the SP this late in the game. With the impending arrival of the GBA Micro, why bother with redesigning the SP? I suppose if Nintendo plans on selling the GBA SP alongside the Micro, I could understand it, but then why bother releasing the Micro. I guess I just don't get it.

As for me, I just purged three of the four GBA SPs I had purchased for playing The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures, and I still have my GBA Player for the GameCube. Obviously, I have no need for one of these, although part of me wonders how difficult it would be to retrofit the new version with my Classic NES-themed GBA. Given my history with console modding, I'm inclined to not try it.

I'm very surprised that Nintendo would release an updated version of the SP this late in the game. With the impending arrival of the GBA Micro, why bother with redesigning the SP?

It's not really a redesign at all, AFAICT. It could even be that the dimmer backlights are so obsolete they are being phased out by the manufacturer, or something like that.

It's not really a redesign at all, AFAICT. It could even be that the dimmer backlights are so obsolete they are being phased out by the manufacturer, or something like that.

IIRC the original GBA SP is actually sidelit ala the afterburner mod...why the battery lasted so long.

Personally I find the SP too cramped, especially for the shoulder buttons...the DS is much easier on my long fingers.

With the DS going for cheap quite frequently ($99 this week at Meijer) I can't see buying a new SP for $79. The DS screen is quite bright enough, thank you.

I haven't seen this posted yet...

Shipping this week are two new colors of the SP. In addition to new color exteriors the new SP's use the same bright screen tech found in the Gameboy Micro. Held side-by-side with the current SP the new screens are amazingly bright. Worth a possible upgrade for sure.

BTW, there is no price increase for the new screens.