LCVG

Perfect Dark Surprise!

foogledricks

I have quietly assumed that Perfect Dark Zero would be a launch title, and an excellent game, while most journalists and the gaming world have laughed at how awful it looked. The reason I have kept a positive attitude is simply because I cannot imagine Microsoft would put so much stock in something that would be a failure.

Here are a few tidbits that lead me to believe that PD0 is about to jump into the spot light (for better or worse). It appears Microsoft is going to drop the marketing bomb on PD0 starting in early October. Since that coincides with X05, I can only assume that the bomb will be dropped there:

http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=513

This puts fuel on my speculative fire that PD0 is actually Microsoft's flagship launch game, and that the hugely negative sentiment surrounding this game is about to shift 360 degrees.

On the AVS forum, someone who claims to have seen both PZ0 and Call of Duty 2 firsthand, says he thinks PZ0 looks better graphically. That by itself is a perceptive shift from "Perfect Dark Zero" looks awful. Again suggesting that perhaps the general public has the wrong impression, and Microsoft is using that to their marketing advantage.

I can say that I was more impressed graphically by PDZ than I was by Call of Duty 2. I probably played COD2 for 5 minutes or so and only watched as someone else played PDZ. Still, I'd have to give the nod to PDZ. It's close though.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6234434#post6234434

Anyway, I have assumed all along that PZ0 would be a big game for Microsoft while (it appears) that the vast majority have assumed the opposite. So this is me setting myself up for an I-told-you-so. Should PD0 turn out to be awful, then I will promptly delete this post so as not to be forum smacked.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the AVS forum, someone who claims to have seen both PZ0 and Call of Duty 2 firsthand, says he thinks PZ0 looks better graphically. That by itself is a perceptive shift from "Perfect Dark Zero" looks awful. Again suggesting that perhaps the general public has the wrong impression, and Microsoft is using that to their marketing advantage.

That person is me.

The art style in each game is significantly different with COD2 working toward a realistic look and PDZ a much more stylized design. However, I gave PDZ the nod because there were more obvious touches in subtle details (a bird sitting on a rooftop which served no purpose other than eye candy) and because the lighting was significantly more impressive.

A few things from those videos really bother me. #1) The animations of people being shot is horrible! Its downright laughable. Hopefully this is just some generic placeholder animation but it seems pretty close to completion for someting that bad to be in the code. #2) The AI. It is pretty much non existent. That part where Joana turns the corner and mows down 3 guys one of them just stands there the whole time looking at her and never once returns fire. Umm right ok. #3) Navigation pads?? Come on how tacky is that. Hopefully those are something that can be turned off or go away if the difficulty is bumped up. Makes the game look like a first person shooter for n00bs especially when factoring in the brain dead AI.

Basically those videos did nothing to impress me. I really hope those issues I listed are just placeholder things that will be fixed or have already been fixed before the game is released.