LCVG

My Eb experience....

Anthony G

I decided to pick up a game at an eb store near me to add to my collection. Sort of a reward for giving two presentations this morning to a rather large group (not a fan of public speaking). Long story short, the ebgames in my area tag on this extended warrenty and inform you after the purchase (not company policy, they are suppose to ask first). Since I shop there offen I accept it and preface the purchase by saying "no extended warrenty". Today, I go up to the counter, the employee asks if I want a pre-owned copy for $5.00 less. I say no thank you and ask for no extended warrenty. His reply, "so you will pay 5 bucks more for a wrapper but won't spend 2 bucks for a 1 year warrenty".:mad:

The tone in his reply made it all the worse. I had to call and complain, the district supervisor will be contacting me in 48 hours. This is not meant to flame Eb as a whole, but this guy really ticked me off. I worked in retail when I was in school and even on my worse day I would never give a customer such attitude.

Sorry, had to vent.

-A

The whole warranty on games thing is hilarious and they nag you for it.

I have NEVER had one of my optical based game stop working. Ever. I had a little problem with my Baldur's Gate II disc 2 (error during install, kept making me ask for bogus discs - more of a problem with the installer). But a quick disc doctoring made it work (I know, I know, but disc buffing as a service wasn't as available back then).

And cartridge games - I still have my Dragon Warrior IV cartridge from when I was like 13 or something.

Today, I go up to the counter, the employee asks if I want a pre-owned copy for $5.00 less. I say no thank you and ask for no extended warrenty. His reply, "so you will pay 5 bucks more for a wrapper but won't spend 2 bucks for a 1 year warrenty".

The tone in his reply made it all the worse.

I usually tell the clerks in a friendly, half-joking manner straight to their face that extended warranties are for suckers, and 100% of the time they have laughed and said something to the effect of "Yeah, I know, but they make me try to sell these things." If somebody gave me that reply though, I'll let the store manager and DM know in a second, there is no call for that.

Ummm...do they do this at ALL EB's????

If so' date=' I've been getting whacked since the policy started. No one's ever asked me if I wanted a warranty on games so, I'm guessing they automatically added it?[/quote']

I not sure when this warrenty policy started but I believe it's for all Eb stores (that's what the customer service guy said). The first I heard of it was when they tagged it on a purchase and told me after the fact. I did what Capt did and told them to refund me for it. It would show up seperate on your receipts.

I think if you ask EB corporate they would tell you the warranty is an option available to the customer and that their stores are instructed to only charge a warranty fee after the customer has agreed to the service. These stores/districts which are auto-charging are overly aggressive renegades who are, more than likely, not following policy.

What Camp said is correct - stores are heavily pushed to hit sales targets on the warranty as it's pure profit, but corporate policy is that it is an option to upsell. Stores that do it automatically are breaking policy & quite possibly breaking the law.

Personally, if a store added it automatically without asking me, I'd kick up a huge fuss.

I've heard people reporting this in a few areas of the country on CheapAssGamer, but honestly after having been to damn near every EB in the Houston/Austin/San Antonio/Dallas areas, I've never had them try it on me. In fact, the vast majority of the EBs in Texas have classy employees that are willing to help and even look up inventory at other stores in their disctrict if I happen to be hunting for a rare title. I just didn't want this to turn into an "EB is teh suck" thread.

I went through something similiar at a Gamestop, was told a district manager would call me on a certain day but he never did. Since then that particular Gamestop has had 3 complete turnovers of staff, they just shitcan everyone and start new every few months it seems.

The time has come and passed for this district manager to call. I'm calling again.

I was in my local EB today and, the guy behind the counter asked the customer ahead of me, about any warranties BEFORE he added anything onto the cost. Even asked if he'd want the $1 warranty on scratched discs.

He appeared to not add anything without the customers approval.

I'd say this was a isolated incident, and that most of these guys are decent enough to ask you before hand if you want some extra costs dumped on you. :)

However every store chain has a few bad stores in the bunch.

Usually it's not even that the store itself is bad. It could be just one person at the store you went to. An employee, or worse, a manager that people are consistently running into and word of mouth is getting that store's reputation trashed. That's not EB's fault, unless they decide not to fix the problem through coaching the employee, or when no other options exist, firing the person in question. A bad manager is the worst, because they are setting the tone for how all employees working under them will treat people.

Normally I try to not let bad experiences steer me away from particular stores, because if I provide customer feedback, things could get better. Now going out of my way because of particularly good service at one store is something I do all the time. ;)

Next time it happens, if it happens again, you can always do the "Tommy Boy"

para-pharsing here bear with it.

"Tell you what, why don't you grap a box, go into the back and take a dump in it and slap your guarantee on it. This way what I will end up with is a guaranteed piece of shit." Which is exactly what an extended warraty is.