LCVG

GTA Liberty City Stories..ton of new screenshots and info.

Romier S

IGN has posted a ton of new info on the upcoming PSP game:

http://psp.ign.com/articles/653/653415p1.html

By pressing the right shoulder button ®, Toni is able to lock onto nearby targets using a 'priority over proximity' system that while targeting the nearest threat first instead of any innocent bystanders. Once locked on, Toni can then toggle through multiple targets using the Left of Right Dpad buttons. This allows Toni to stay locked on and take out multiple threats in rapid succession.

Free aim is also available in Liberty City Stories for precise aiming. After pressing the R Button to draw your weapon you can press Down on the DPad to allow freedom to aim at any target you would like. This is useful for taking out car tires to slow down moving targets as well as things like exploding barrels of fuel that can wipe out multiple targets in one shot.

Utilizing unique duel-use functionality, there is now also the ability to slow down the rate at which the PSP analog stick moves the reticule across the screen by also pressing down the left shoulder button (L) when in free-aim mode. This allows for an even more accurate and precise targeting system in Liberty City Stories than any previous Grand Theft Auto game before it.

..and here's some new screenshots for you:

[ATTACH]255[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]256[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]257[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]258[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]259[/ATTACH]

• 1 month later...

I've not bought the game as of yet. I'm kind of burned out the whole GTA thing after San Andreas so I'll more than likely wait for a price drop. In the meantime those that have picked up the game get some good news as Rockstar have released a way to convert music for custom soundtrack functionality:

Rockstar converter for custom soundtracks

This week's release of Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories for the PlayStation Portable has delivered fans of the handheld the biggest game yet for the system. With the game came a couple of surprises, including an unannounced feature on the Audio menu for Custom Soundtrack playback. The feature -- a popular add-on for the Xbox versions of GTA and a heavily requested feature for PSP game releases -- was not mentioned in Liberty City Stories previews, nor was it given mention in the manual, and the feature was non-operational in the game.

After a week of false rumors and questions, Rockstar has finally come out with an official announcement on the Custom Soundtrack feature in GTA: Liberty City Stories. The feature requires a special converter for use on your home PC that will change audio files into a format compatible with the game. You can download the loader from IGN at the below link:

"The feature requires a special converter for use on your home PC that will change audio files into a format compatible with the game."

I've not looked, but I'd be shocked if this isn't basically the same program that Sumo devised for TOCA to convert audio files to ATRAC 3. They do it that way because Sony helpfully put a hardware decoder for the format that you just feed the file to, wheras mp3 etc. get done in software.

It's pretty impressive. I'm surprised that there weren't major compromises in getting GTA on the PSP. Certain lackluster PSP games had shaken my faith in the power of the system, but GTA is a great showcase for it. The draw distance is much more than I was expecting and all the details you'd expect are here. Aliasing, a few bad textures, and the usual PSP screen smearing mar what is otherwise a great looking game. Extra points for the car lighting effects, I wasn't expecting them. The missions are textbook GTA, and the cutscenes are amusing.

I got this game for my birthday. My impression is pretty straightforward-- if you liked GTA3 then buy this game. If you did not like GTA3, then don't buy this game. It's not a port of GTA3 but it uses the same locale (albeit a few years before GTA3 takes place in Liberty City) and of course, the same style of gameplay the GTA series has become famous/infamous for.

As BDBB said, the game is impressive for a handheld game. It really captures the main things that make a GTA game a GTA game.

• 1 month later...

Take Two released thier Preliminary and unaudited Fiscal 2005 results. Now that may seem like small news unless you're interested in financials, but the real news is that the report also reveals that Grand Theft Audio Liberty City Stories will be released on the Playstion 2 this year. It also confirms a new PSP GTA will be released later in the year as well. Here's the full report:

Fiscal 2006 Products

Fiscal 2006 first quarter releases included NBA 2K6, NHL 2K6 and Amped 3, all for the Xbox 360 from 2K Sports, with Torino 2006 for PlayStation 2, Xbox and PC planned for later in the quarter. Expected fiscal 2006 second quarter releases include The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for PC and Xbox 360 from 2K Games; Top Spin 2 for the Xbox 360, Nintendo DS and Game Boy Advance, College Hoops 2K6 for Xbox 360, and Major League Baseball 2K6 for PlayStation 2, Xbox, Xbox 360, PSP, and Nintendo GameCube™ from 2K Sports; and Sudoku Fever™ for Game Boy Advance and Hummer Badlands for PlayStation 2 and Xbox from Global Star.

Additional products expected for fiscal 2006 include the newly announced Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories for PlayStation 2, tentatively planned for release in the second quarter, Bully for PlayStation 2 and Xbox, two new titles for the PSP handheld system, including an all-new Grand Theft Auto, a title based on a new brand for the Xbox 360 and a sequel of a Rockstar brand, all from Rockstar Games; The Da Vinci Code, Prey, and 24: The Game from 2K Games; various other sports titles including NBA 2K7 from 2K Sports; and Family Feud for multiple platforms from Global Star.

Take Two Fiscal 2005 Financials and more