LCVG
dogbert

Boardgames & Cardgames, oh my!

Ugh, that seems ridiculously complicated. The Broken Token insert will keep everything together between games and during you can spread it out on the table like a regular human being :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark E said:

Ugh, that seems ridiculously complicated. The Broken Token insert will keep everything together between games and during you can spread it out on the table like a regular human being :P

I really like playing on neoprene mats (makes picking up cards easier, too) and there are a few of those available for Gloomhaven (the company I got the Mansions of Madness dashboards from has a cool looking one) but then this thing came along and looks like it raises the bar for dashboards. Dude even makes a storage crate for them so pausing and storing is easy peasy. Looks overboard, but that's my favorite kind of board.

Here's a video of the dashboard before the redesign that fixes some of the issues raised in this exact video.

I agree it looks fiddly, though...

Gonna research neoprene mats, too.

I don't have the broken token insert, but I found that something like this (https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-33-drawer-metal-cabinet-0581036p.html#srp) worked really well for keeping bits organized.  The other thing you'll want is some way to keep character stuff together between games, since you'll probably have multiple characters on the go at once.  I don't know if it's possible to get extra modifier decks so you can keep them around, but we just ended up having to rebuild them when swapping.  Not that big a deal, and we had to trade item cards around anyway. 

Otherwise, those player stations seem a little excessive.  Nothing wrong with the dials/trackers that come with the game.  A basic neoprene mat is probably helpful, and the vertical card holders might be nice, but those could also just be generic ones. 

• Like 1

Man, just got my Marvel Champions and the online store sent me the playmat and cards from the launch kit. That was a nice surprise.

Yeah, was a brand new online store to me and I have to say I was genuinely impressed. It also helped they were the only Canadian seller with Champions AND Quacks in stock, but I lucked out.

FfG did a swerve today on Champions and I dont know how to feel about it. After wrecking crew we knew Thor was coming, but it was always thought they would alternate scenarios every few months. After thor its 3 more character packs then the first story box . Thats almost 6 months without a new scenario.

I don’t play anything so much it’d be an issue myself, but I get the point.

Still, with Green Goblin and The Wrecking Crew (hell yes) on the way, pretty solid for my wallet :).

Interested to see who the new heroes are. Moon Knight isn’t there... but he should be...

The family has been playing the new hotness, Vindication, for a few games now and it lives up to its reputation. I probably over-value strong themes in a game, and this game certainly has that, but this game is much more than a well realized theme. It's a sleek mid-weight Euro that incorporates strong adventure elements wrapped in some of the most thoughtful production elements you're going to find. The pieces you use every turn, the player markers, are metal, and the pieces you use rarely, the minis, are detailed sculpts that show just as much love. Everything about the game is cranked up. Even the cards are die cut, because why not! This is the first game in a while that I don't feel the immediate need to get a wooden insert for, the included GameTrayz insert is great.

I've played with a few of the included expansions (Well of Souls and Pet Menagerie), and they're fantastic additions, but I haven't incorporated the Leaders & Alliances boxed expansion yet, but I expect it to be of similar stellar quality.

Here are a few reviews that mostly echo my experience:

And here are some pics of our game and the painted minis (that mostly just sit there and look cool).

You should give it a go.

6M3A0555-Edit.jpg

6M3A0560-Edit.jpg

6M3A0562-Edit.jpg

6M3A0563-Edit.jpg

And Fantasy Flight has announced the three Champions packs they recently said were Jan, are now Coming this month Dec 20th. Full of surprises today.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mark E said:

I don’t play anything so much it’d be an issue myself, but I get the point.

Still, with Green Goblin and The Wrecking Crew (hell yes) on the way, pretty solid for my wallet :).

Interested to see who the new heroes are. Moon Knight isn’t there... but he should be...

The most reasonable speculation I've seen is Black Widow, Dr Strange, and the Hulk. Black WIdow would make sense, getting the hero pack out to somewhat coincide with the movie.

I've been reading much griping about a lack of villains packs. Wouldn'r be surprised if something pops up between WRecking Crew and the new box set. And if not, I'm behind on Arkham so I'm ok with that.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 6:56 AM, Mark E said:

Yeah, Black Widow is practically a given at this point.

Actually I think Widow won’t be for a while, as she is already an Ally card. From the pictures At the end of the Thor article, my guesses are Scarlett Witch, Doctor Strange and Hank Pym/Ant-Man.

Unexpected gaming acquisition today - was shopping around for Dune and noticed that Homeland from Gale Force 9 has been on clearance again.

Got a copy shipped from Amazon for a cracking $15 Canadian, tax in. I love a good hidden traitor game and I can afford to give it a whirl for that money.

Takes the sting out of not playing Marvel yet because I’m on call for work and the flu has knocked the gf out of commission.

I got Homeland a long time ago for $10, need to try it again as we played with a group who was first time gamers.

My insert for Champions came from Meeple Realty yesterday, looking forward to how they compare to those by Broken Token.

• Like 1

I have the Villainous and Rebellion inserts from Meeple Realty and they are great. Wish I would have got the one for Tapestry instead of the Broken Token one as I like their solution to some of issues with that game better.

The only company who's disappointed me yet has been TowerRex, but that was just for one of their inserts, Wingspan, the rest have been perfectly fine.

PSA - Zombicide: Black Plague is $61 Prime, with instant $10 checkout savings, on Amazon right now. 

Not much gaming this month, end of year shenanigans with kids + work been keeping me away from game night, but I aim to make up for that soon. I did get a Kickstarter arrive that I originally ordered ~December 2012... And I've completed printing of an insert for Clank + expansions!

KvbjGSW.jpg

FFdpUlv.jpg

• Like 2

Brian the photos are not showing for me.

i have to say I am glad I did the Team Covenant subs for the Champions packs, as they shipped today. It seems a lot of stores were heavily shorted. FFG never learns. They move forward a release and do not even have enough product for it. I am really looking forward to Christmas vacation as I have not played as much of this as I want.

Got my Captain America and Ms Marvel yesterday.  Distributor mesed up their order and didn't get Green Goblin packs in yet but they should be on the way still. If so, great, if not, February isn't far away.

Wife was looking at Cthulhu Death may Die. Anyone have a go at this?

4 minutes ago, Orpheus said:

Got my Captain America and Ms Marvel yesterday.  Distributor mesed up their order and didn't get Green Goblin packs in yet but they should be on the way still. If so, great, if not, February isn't far away.

Wife was looking at Cthulhu Death may Die. Anyone have a go at this?

My packs are still in the mail, usps sucks. I haven’t played Death May a Die, but word of mouth has been good so far.

Looks like at least a couple of the Xmas games for the kids were a hit.  Bought them Exploding Kittens (which they both like) and King of Tokyo, which my 7yo now says is his favourite game.  I don't think we've ever had anyone win KOT by points, and he seems to have an uncanny ability to roll whatever he needs, but it's a fun game for the kids with just enough randomness to make it anyone's to win, but not enough to make it feel like complete bullshit. 

35 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

Only time people win KoT by points is larger games. Smaller games are always brawls.

I'd say my games with the kids are split - I win by points, but kids always go for knock-outs. 

I played my copy of KoT once, had a rules argument, never played it again. So the game won :P

Think the gf and I are going to play Marvel Champions and Aeon’s End Legacy on New Year’s.

I grabbed a copy of Dune from GF9 and am going to get a six player game of that going for mid-January, hopefully. Very much a good fit for some of the stabbier members of my group (like me!).