LCVG
dogbert

Boardgames & Cardgames, oh my!

18 minutes ago, Mark E said:

I played my copy of KoT once, had a rules argument, never played it again. So the game won :P

What rule?

Oh I don’t even remember - it was super pedantic. It was the player, not the game. One of those cases where they couldn’t let it go. Also it was at least five years ago ;)

Went to a learn to play event for Marvel Crisis Protocol and I'm all in on this game. With Imperial assault skirmish essentially finished in a couple of months,  I had been looking at either Waehammer40k Killteam or Legion skirmish as a replacement. It feels like a much streamlined Legion, which I really like. Terrain will be a headache to store, but found some great recomendations with some O scale railroad building that'll work great for the game.

Marvel Champions continues to be excellent. Will be teaching my wife ewer New Years.

• Like 1

First games of the year - taught Clank! to my daughter, and now we're playing the first chapter in the Harry Potter Deck Building expansion, getting thumped again. We haven't come close to beating this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, dogbert said:

First games of the year - taught Clank! to my daughter, and now we're playing the first chapter in the Harry Potter Deck Building expansion, getting thumped again. We haven't come close to beating this. 

We actually pulled out a win from the jaws of defeat - focusing on key villians, and getting lucky with creatures coming up, helped out. Onto box 2!

• Like 1

The wife and I decided to make this the "Board Game Christmas."

I've had worse ideas.

Looking forward to finally getting to see what all the fuss is about with Gloomhaven.

I received Nemesis as an early gift, so I painted it up and brought it over to the in-laws. We played until 4:30 in the morning. Some died, but all had a great time. Understand, these people think of Monopoly as the height of board game technology and know little else on the subject. Minds were blown.

20200102_154651.jpg

20191230_235535.jpg

20191231_034507.jpg

• Like 3

Purty! 

We faced down He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named for the final box of the expansion for the Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle expansion. I'd discovered we'd been playing one expansion rule wrong that likely sped up our games, but we kept with it as "easy mode" until the final battle against him. Despite a hard fight against a bunch of nasty creatures + villians, we survived to stand against him one last time, and easily beat him with our lean, mean, drawing machine decks. 

KVm5RhP.jpg

I thoroughly recommend this game as a heavily themed intro to deck-building. It starts very narrowly, with new concepts + cards introduced each "year" in the original game, following the books/films plot wise, with a box to open to reveal all the new stuff to play with. Easy for the first few years, then around 4, it starts to step up, and year 6 is a real "game". 

The expansion, which focuses on creatures + adds a new playable character + some house cleaning, steps up the difficulty again + is much more of a gamer's game at that point. 

It's been a great experience playing through this focused on two players, my daughter + me, and she's grown as a gamer throughout it. Big thumbs up.

• Like 3

Yeah I have a good time playing Harry Potter, we need to get around finishing it.

On 1/4/2020 at 10:16 PM, dogbert said:

I'd discovered we'd been playing one expansion rule wrong that likely sped up our games, but we kept with it as "easy mode" until the final battle against him

Which rule?  We played through all 7 years of Hogwarts Battle, and by the end, it really came down to some luck of the draw (which villains you got when, and whether you managed to power up your deck enough).  We either won pretty easily, or got blown away.  Adding the horcruxes also makes it more mechanically dense for sure.  Still haven't gone back to the expansion though-it gets tough.

3 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

Which rule?  We played through all 7 years of Hogwarts Battle, and by the end, it really came down to some luck of the draw (which villains you got when, and whether you managed to power up your deck enough).  We either won pretty easily, or got blown away.  Adding the horcruxes also makes it more mechanically dense for sure.  Still haven't gone back to the expansion though-it gets tough.

In the expansion, we got two rules wrong ultimately: 
- we could "flush" the item store more than once per game. 
- we could add more than one coin to a creature per turn. 

The second makes it much more easy IMO as you can kill certain creatures far faster than designed. That's what we counted as 'easy mode', though we still played the big boss as one coin per turn. 

The item flushing action from the expansion ("once per game, skip buying to flush all items available for purchase") is something that should be in the base game too IMO, and I think the design team agrees.

Working our way through the new games, we first jumped on the one I was most anticipating playing, Edge of Darkness. Having never played Mystic Vale, this is my first foray into John D. Clair's card crafting system - and it's a very difficult game to get a demo of or chance to play. (I saw it once in a store in Anaheim, but they wanted crazy money.)

We love it. It's a fascinating system with a lot of uniqueness and depth. It's fun at 2 players and the bog down at 4 is minimal - if only because the downtime between turns gives you time to plan, which is welcome.

Side note, I've instituted a policy to speed paint the army-like sets (here, the nameless guild agents), but will continue to take time on player characters or named minis. I'm amazed at how much time it takes to properly paint a game and marvel at people's collections of painted minis. My goal is to not play a game until the minis are painted and the table presence is as pow as practical. Yolo, fam.

Also, I may have gone too small for my gaming table! This game, and others, crowd a 4'x4' gaming area.

20200105_041656.jpg

20200105_041742.jpg

20200105_042023.jpg

Next up, Cthulhu: Death May Die

20200107_161048.jpg

• Like 4

So fantasy flight is closing it’s digital division. So unless asmodee digital team is taking over doing the stuff for Lord of the Rings adventures and Mansions of Madness , good bye to those games. This right after Navarro left.

Also looks like most of their RPG team is being let go, as well as a bunch of other people from FFG and Asmodee.

The 3 champions hero packs after thor have seemed to leak as Black Widow, Doc Strange and Hulk. The first two have had package leaks.

42 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

The 3 champions hero packs after thor have seemed to leak as Black Widow, Doc Strange and Hulk. The first two have had package leaks.

Which is what most people were expecting.  Really looking forward to these releases this spring.

Very sad about the FFG layoffs. Hope those people find good homes elsewhere. Also hope we get some announcements about the game lines in the wake of all the recent product delays compounded with this.

The FFG team cleared things up, the team working on the app driven games like MoM and Lord of the Rings are still working on things. It’s only the FFI team that was working on the digital Lord of the Rings LCG and some other rumored projects that were closed down.

My gaming group played Wingspan last night, a game about collecting birds by the makers of Scythe.  The premise didn't exactly fire me up, but the mechanics are pretty tight and we had a lot of fun.  Good pace to the game too.

The fam loves Wingspan.

In fact, yesterday I received my 4 month old KS pledge of upgraded character markers from Meeple Source because now the culture is all about ordering even normal everyday products through Kickstarter. Zzzz

• Like 1

I've enjoyed Wingspan every time I've played it. It's not revolutionary but it's a nice wee engine builer, dripping with theme + prettiness, and it's easy to teach. 

Far better than the other Stonemaier game from last year :P 

Tapestry just did not seem like my sort of game anyway. I do want to try Wingspan .

TMNT Reboot Kickstarter is shipping soon, but coming from CA so will be here next week. Excited for this, as I have not got a big KS in a very long time. 

I did receive the stockpile expansion this week. Been a while before we played that.

Return to Dark Tower launched this morning. I’m only in for the BackerKit at present (we just bought a couch AND are heading off on vacation, so...) but it and Frosthaven are the two KS games I was looking to back this year.

I have to say my fondness for KS has hit a natural lull because the quality of what companies send you varies so wildly. At least Restoration Games does great work, same with Cephalophair, so I can feel a bit better about it.

There are two other KS i am interested in that start in the next few months, so gotta pass.

On the FFG is being gutted front, they just announced the end of SW Destiny.

1 hour ago, JoeyN said:

There are two other KS i am interested in that start in the next few months, so gotta pass.

On the FFG is being gutted front, they just announced the end of SW Destiny.

There are two other KS launching today I'm interested in. FFS. 

Apparently FFG is rejigging its other LCGs too like LOTR. Ch-ch-change 😕

They had announced the changes for Lord of the Rings and GoT during the last AMA they did. I had posted that long thread that day.

• Like 1