LCVG
dogbert

Boardgames & Cardgames, oh my!

This is not going to be the end. They have not hit any other studios yet. I suspect Plaid Hat will be next and they have not had any huge hits except for Stuffed Fables. 

This is what happens when an equity firm buys a company.

15 minutes ago, Rainmaykr said:

Dark Tower I get, but no love for Oath or Apex? 😲

Oath I'd never get to the table. Apex I'm actually tempted by, I've seen it in various math trades over the past few years + it looks interesting. 

Yeah,  Oath is a non-starter here (I can’t even get my group to play Vast yet...). Foundations of Rome looks like plastic and solo multiplayer, not suited to me crew. Card builders are already in the collection.

Thus...! Only one of interest to me :).

I was looking at that Dark Tower KS, but I'm not sure if I want in.  It looks...OK, but not sure if I like the reliance on a smartphone being there all the time.  I suppose on one hand it does solve the "mechanics of running the game" problem, but on the other it changes the experience from an analogue one to this interesting hybrid.  Is it just a weird gimmick? 

I play MoM, Lord of the Rings and Imperial Assault with Apps on my ipad and it works well. We also enjoyed the Pirate game from Iello that used phones.

I mean, a gimmick with three rotating levels that lights up and barfs skulls all over the board and has a built-in speaker :D

Stop Thief from Restoration also used an app and it was a lot of fun. It’s more app-enhanced than gimmick.

Mansions of Madness is a great example too. The first edition of that game is overly overly complex and it’s full stop an hour shorter at least with the app handling are the crap.

I mean, I haven’t backed Dark Tower yet, but I likely will (I want to watch the Dice Tower where they played a full game of it). It’s got some serious design chops behind it.

Sounds like Omega Virus might be the next one out of the gate for them after this...

1 hour ago, Mark E said:

I mean, I haven’t backed Dark Tower yet, but I likely will (I want to watch the Dice Tower where they played a full game of it). It’s got some serious design chops behind it.

Yeah, I'm on the fence about it, but I started watching the dice tower playthrough to see how the actual mechanics work. 

I suppose I just didn't really want to have to tie an android device to running the game the whole time.  Strangely enough, if it was a PC it'd be easier to manage (at least for me), but that's probably just related to the number of extra machines I have around.  Also realized that you could pretty easily mirror a phone screen to a larger monitor though, which would let everyone track what's going on. 

Fuck it, I just backed return to Dark Tower.  Not going to bother with the expansions out of the gate I think, but we'll see when the pledge manager comes around. 

• Haha 1

If I back I know damn well I want that neoprene mat.

I’m waiting for a couple more updates - specifically info on some of the ways the quests are done up. The rules look tight enough though...

I looked at that neoprene mat option, but that would make the play area huge, and the tower would get dwarfed by the bigger play area.  Plus, it'd be a pain in the ass to store.  I'll see what happens once the backerkit gets released though.  I might get the upgraded tokens if nothing else.

Looking at kickstarter, it's entirely possible that the two BG ones I'm waiting on (Assassin's Creed and Middara) could ship around the same time. 

Missed the first game night of the year because of kids' homework, but did end up playing Love Letter, Ticket To Ride New York, and a wee game of Mexican Train with my daughter, so all in all, not too bad.

In the end, I'm going to skip all of those big KS running. Decided to go with Zombicide 2nd edition, it'll get more table play than Foundations of Rome or Dork Tower. ;)

I am looking forward to Marvel United and Batman TAS(with same system as TMNT) KS coming soon. As I know they can be played solo if needed.

Just saw this pic from someone who got TMNT today, I need to make shelf space. My Kallax are jam packed. 

9B3BA0F5-90C0-40A5-B547-232A48367395.jpeg

All-in pledged for Dark Tower.

That and Frosthaven are my two buys this year. I’ve already avoided a ton of other KS games that have appeal but aren’t worth my time and money so I must be getting better at it ;).

Also I’m gonna slim the collection down again in the spring and no point adding crap when I plan to take stuff out of there.

• Like 1

I'm all-in for Dork Tower, too, but that neoprene mat, oh that gorgeous, over-sized neoprene mat, makes the whole kit and caboodle $300-ish with shipping and tax. I might have to come off the all-in to fit the mat in instead. What to do, what to do?

These are the questions of our time.

• Like 1

As much as I would love to get Neoprene mat’s for all games, that’s just more space taken.

Officially said fuck it and just added the damn mat today. Promising to only back this and Frosthaven this year on KS paid off with the gf ;)

21 hours ago, Mark E said:

Officially said fuck it and just added the damn mat today. Promising to only back this and Frosthaven this year on KS paid off with the gf ;)

I'll probably wait for the pledge manager before deciding on addons, since I think they'll be the same price then, right?