LCVG
dogbert

Boardgames & Cardgames, oh my!

Two very different games tonight. One, a D&D inspired dungeon crawler with lots of dice chucking, the second, a co-operative trick tacking card game. 

First up was D&D Tomb of Annihilation. Straightforward dungeon crawler, with a nice mix of mechanics for tiles vs squares, easy to get to grips with. We played the intro and somehow almost got wiped out from lousy dice rolls. Biggest toughest enemy of the night? Humidity. Took 6 health off two players over the length of the game ;)

The trick taking game was "Die Crew" (aka The Crew), a German card game where you're working together to ensure the leader wins a hand with a particular card in it, but you can't communicate about what's in your hand. After you win, you play again with slightly more rules, working your way through ~70 different variations. *Loved* it. 

5x5DVrh.png

• Like 1

I went into Walmart today against my will, but came across Plano 3650 cases for only $2.88 a piece. They are usually $8-11 everywhere else. Bought the only 5 they had so I can finally organize new TMNT, Outer Rim, Lord of the Rings and A few others. They are supposed to get more in this week, so many I may stock up for a while at that price.

The Girl + I ran through our first escape room-like game, Exit The Mysterious Museum, and had a thoroughly good time. She's a big fan of escape rooms, even though we usually fail 'em, and the idea of one at home that we can take our time with to puzzle out, was a good idea. This particular one worked well, with the caveat that we worked around a few puzzles that rely on physically cutting up pieces, so that we can swap it out. 

Picked up Chronicles of Crime, a detective game that heavily involves an app, to see if that works as well. If not, easy to move on ;) 

Also set up + ran through some turns of this beast, Catacombs, so I can finally teach it to my daughter. Love this game, but it's definitely not seen enough playtime.. Flick 'em up meets a dungeon crawler? With great art + a huge range of characters, monsters, rooms, and bosses? Yes, please. 

t8j1T0R.png

2Xo8YhNl.pngk3wqCtBl.jpg

• Like 1

A quick game of Cartagena tonight, a long running favourite in our house from before the kids were even a thing! I traded it away years ago, but got it back last year. Really simple to explain, easy to play in a short period, but full of tough decisions, just what I like. 

Y'all see the Asmodee North America "Parts Replacement" changes? If you're missing a piece or need a replacement part, you now need to contact the seller for a full replacement copy of the game. Second hand or a "non parter" store? Tough. 

Why are you removing the parts replacement program?

With the number of quality titles in Asmodee USA's growing library, maintaining an independent stock of elements of each game becomes more difficult. We believe offering the customer service through the store they have purchased the game from will be a better experience.

Good luck with that 😕 

Ouch On that FFG replacement policy. Its ok they even spoil there own items before announcements now. Hulk Smash

048C601D-2AA9-48C4-8274-046D2303B7A2.png

So about them folks at awaken realms, who make good games but are shit from a business stand point.. The Lords of Hellas expansions were delayed from retail for over a year as some backers did not get their copies for some reason. When they did get them one of the expansions was missing a game board , and the cards had size issues I mentioned a while back. Sooooo they were finally released to retail a week ago, people open them up and.... the same issues. The expansions have been sitting in a warehouse for over a year and they shipped them to retail knowing a board was missing, on top of the card size issue. WTF (no I did not preorder them, as I was waiting to see if they fixed the problems ).

• WTF 1

Lords of Hellas was a game I almost nearly backed because it looked a good dudes on the map game. I'm glad I didn't for this & other reasons from game balance. Ugh. Their KS execution is really miss over hit. I got lucky with This War of Mine, but others didn't. 

Speaking of Awaken Realms, finally found someone I could piggyback off for the recently reopened Tainted Grail pledge manager. Gonna get the whole kit and caboodle.

Shame to hear about the Lords of Hellas probs, but I've seen nothing but a company bending over backwards to fix things (including recently reworking the new TG expansion after customer outcry not 1 week ago). I've been in on all of the recent weekly video chats with Marcin Swierkot, the AR head honcho, and he seems a genuine guy that really cares about the product and the fans. And AR have been resetting the bar of what having success as a board game company means - establishing KS records and a string of uber hit games. Big fan.

I wonder, assuming LoH problems are epidemic (I dont know as I haven't checked that game out) are due to the initial growing pains associated with a company that created such a popular game almost out of the gate coupled with the stresses of managing a supply chain strained by an unbroken string of subsequent successes, all more popular than the last.

Regardless, wave 2 of Tainted Grail shipping cannot happen soon enough. I've committed to getting EVERYTHING. (Even paid aftermarket rate for the limited numbered resin King Arthur figure! Zzzzzz)

This has happened with every single game they have done. There is always an issue with something and it takes forever for them to do anything about it. LOH KS was Three years ago, yes THREE years for expansions to come out.

I stopped looking at KS as any sort of barometer about how good a company is. Throw great looking minis on KS and it’s a guaranteed to succeeded.  That’s not saying they do not make some good games (I want to play nemesis), but then again CMON had a great run for a while, and now they have had 1 good game in the last three years.