LCVG
dogbert

Boardgames & Cardgames, oh my!

I'm weak. Kickstarted Zombicide. Getting the new Prison Outbreak set + the Zombie Dogs + the various stretch goals (promo figures, zombies etc). Co-op against zombies, with some nice mechanics to make it stand out from the crowd and great miniatures (saw them at BGG.CON last year). This kickstarter's promos include characters representing things from Dirty Harry to Angela Fletcher to Hannibal & Clarice Starling, and The Dude.

Yeah, that's a lotta gear.

OnMenu.jpg

Yeah, that's a lotta gear.

You recommend Zombicide for 2 players, Brian?  The wife loves "Last Night on Earth" (she's become a huge Zombie fan lately), so I was thinking of picking this up, but we usually only play alone.

Tomorrow is International TableTop Day -- I gotta get some gaming in!

Here's what I want to play:

Stone Age

Android: Netrunner

Memoir '44

Anyone else planning some gaming for tomorrow?

Great day!

We played...

To Court The King

My garish 3D Catan Collector's Chest

Zombicide!

Zombicide is a lot of fun. Crazy expensive, but fun. We played it twice, in fact, which is unusual.

Great day!

We played...

To Court The King

My garish 3D Catan Collector's Chest

Zombicide!

Zombicide is a lot of fun. Crazy expensive, but fun. We played it twice, in fact, which is unusual.

Good to hear it's fun seeing as I'm jumping aboard the Kickstarter that's about to end. I'd contemplated canceling to save cash, but the stretch goal/bonus of Basil Fawlty & Sean Connery figures was too much. They hit 2 million dollars last night...

And it's back in stock today including the new expansion. Why don't you pop over for some gaming sometime, Anthony? I'll give you a buzz.

Missed this.  Oops.

Yeah, we'll definitely keep in touch.  Played it once with a few people and we all laughed nonstop.  That game is WRONG.

I bought the old Ravensberger Labyrinth game today - really simple, really fun - I started poorly, but then pulled it back as we got into not only completing our own cards but scuppering the opposition.

As I still play PnP and miniature based games whenever I can, I'm always on the lookout for new dice. It's only got a day left but this kickstarter  has some ridiculously beautiful (and pricey) options.

Also, I've been looking at playing X-wing minis using Vassal. If it isn't a totally sucky experience wondering if maybe an online boardgame night might be of interest. 

Wife and I played Pandemic and Gloom with Robot Monkey

(am I allowed to call him Jay or what???)

.  Both games were a lot of fun.  Both of us were really impressed with Pandemic. Never played a co-op board game before.  Greanted, it does give the opportunity for one person to monopolize the game if he or she knows it well enough but it can also allow people with opposing ideas to come up with a better plan. Never played anything like it.

We played two co-op games recently that are totally different to Pandemic... 

Robinson Crusoe - you're all stranded on a desert island & need to survive. A brutally tough game of gathering resources to build/expand on the hex board, gather enough food for each player to survive the night, and then attempt to meet the mission requirements. It's really tough & co-operative. Totally different feel to Pandemic etc and a step up in complexity. The designer purposely tried to block the "one player tells everyone what to do" aspect of co-ops. The situations simply don't make it easy to do that. A great experience - totally brutal game, and this was on the second scenario... 

Agents of Smersh - a "storytelling" board game set in the era of cartoon 70s spy agencies & secret agents. It's similar to Tales of Arabian Nights in structure - move around a board, take on 'quests' that involve reading out a paragraph or two of story from a big book, then do skill checks like arkham horror. In fact, you could pitch it as a streamlined arkham in a lot of ways. We had a lot of fun with this once we got the rules down (the rulebook tells you everything you need to know but not /how/ to play). Would likely go down well with a number of people on this forum. 

Yeah, I was checking out the local game stores here in Vancouver and hoping I might see Bora Bora, Tzolkin, or Agents of Smersh. No such luck.

Instead I grabbed a sourcebook for Trail of Cthulhu, and the expansions for Blood Bowl, Kingsburg, and Chicago Express. I was dying to get the Blood Bowl expansion as that game is like top 10 and maybe top 5 level for me still.

Otherwise the store was huge and packed and yet still lacking. They did have Sentinels of the Multiverse and Relic there, but I have no need for new games unless they are super special ;)

To get my two boys away from electronic entertainment for awhile, I printed out a copy of Dungeon in a Tin, a free print and play game on boardgamegeek.com:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/90730/dungeon-in-a-tin

It's a simplified dungeon crawler that can be played solo or cooperatively (each additional player needs their own copy of the game to play cooperatively or a second player can roll the dice as the DM).  All the game pieces come on a single sheet that you print and cut out and they all fit into an Altoids can for easy storage.  My boys and I had a lot of fun playing it and we've already started customizing it with our own rules.

That looks pretty dang fun as a little timewaster. What age are you boys, if you don't mind me asking?

My kids are13 and 8 but I think kids down to 5 or 6 could play it and have fun with it as long as someone older is there to remind them of the rules.  Most games last about 20 minutes so it's not a huge time investment either.  Plus I really love the fact that it fits into an Altoid tin!  If you're interested in what the gameplay is like, here's the only video I could find on Youtube that's in English:

I use the non-custom dice version of the game (it basically uses a regular 6-sided dice and a chart and little markers to accomplish the same thing as making the custom dice).  I think it's a great gateway game for kids and adults (and if they don't like it, you didn't spend any money on it!).  I know I wasn't into board games too much but I'm already looking at other board games.

Hoping to put something together for this weekend. Hard to tell right now if it'll be regular board games or a character generation and starting session for Call of Cthulhu.

I have the RPG bug back. I got a ton of Trail of Cthulhu stuff on vacation and am currently collecting all of the books they issued for Al-Qadim. After that? Planescape!

It was Call of Cthulhu and it was amazing, free-form rpg fun.

After we rolled up a few investigators, I had them meeting a contact in a hotel in NYC who had urgent information for them. Upon entering the room, they found a murder in progress and a cult on the loose. Cue brutal fight scene.

After they wrapped that up, but before police arrived, they tossed the room and took what clues they could find. Two investigators were badly wounded and the others went in search of a few leads, including a lecture on cults, a suspicious importer, and a crazy suspicious shop in Harlem.

They managed to get themselves in serious police trouble and unleash zombies before we had to wrap up for the day.

Man, these games aren't for everybody, but they're damn fun when they click.

Cool, Mark. A few local friends are long time players of it & they've shared some of the scenarios they've written; a lot of room for messing with players' heads in the mythos.

A rare little boardgaming order arrived for me last night - my own copy of Love Letter, the first Hobbit expansion pack for the Lord of the Rings LCG (FFG put out revised "easy mode" rules that look fun), and the Zombicide game.

Yes, I kickstarted Season 2 already. I couldn't resist & wait until September/October. The minis are fucking gorgeous. They really are.I've got a game day to go to on Sunday & Zombicide will be getting played for sure.

Sweet, I hope you enjoy it, Brian! The minis are indeed amazing.

I have gaming planned tomorrow, gonna be a lot of expansions played I suspect. Looking forward to playing more Kingsburg, that's a great game I don't see enough of.

I really need to tuck into my collection and start offloading some of the oldies or not for me games in it. Bloody nuisance but no point keeping what I won't play.