LCVG
dogbert

Boardgames & Cardgames, oh my!

I have the worst luck with Fantasy Flight games like MOM,Imp Assault and Lord of the Rings. I always get a bad card draw or dice roll at the worst time. 

Have you tried X-Wing? Thinking about getting into it's about time to add another vice and miniatures seem like the perfect thing to obsess over.

I don’t really get to play many 2 player games. Its usually solo or 4-5 during game nights. 

12 hours ago, Rainmaykr said:

Have you tried X-Wing? Thinking about getting into it's about time to add another vice and miniatures seem like the perfect thing to obsess over.

Travis play (played?) a bunch of that, I think... 

30 minutes ago, dogbert said:

Travis play (played?) a bunch of that, I think... 

He has

Yea, I still do. Happy to field X-wing questions. It's pretty easy to get into without spending a ton money, which is kinda rare for mini games.

• Like 2

Got my Pax Unplugged weekend pass and booked an Airbnb apartment nearby that I almost did last year.  The entire "book hotels through the pax site for discount " is a joke. Over the weekend I looked at the dates and many of the same places were a little over $100 a night, everything now is doubled, even more then that so via pax link.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2019 at 4:25 PM, Orpheus said:

Yea, I still do. Happy to field X-wing questions. It's pretty easy to get into without spending a ton money, which is kinda rare for mini games.

Now you tell me.

20190509_201052.jpg

• Haha 3

Gloomhaven Forgotten Circles showed up the other day, but probably going to wait to crack into it until we finish off the records from the original box (although we have "finished" the story).  Not sure whether we'll roll a diviner now, or wait until starting the new scenarios.

Yeah its that time of year where target exclusives go wide release, and they clear them out.

The table's here and mostly set up (waiting for a sound bar to arrive, gonna mount it underneath). Came out great, imo.

20190513_051927.jpg

So that's probably over the top, but that's exactly where I like to be in relation to the top.

Kids and I tested it out tonight with some Lost Mines of Phandelver. They made it through Cragmaw Hideout and the table did not disappoint. 

20190514_012354.jpg

Now to teach them the D&D Board Game mechanics because I've been itching to get into Dungeon of the Mad Mage. Wife and I are currently two cases deep into Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective (Thames Murders), and now that we have more breathing space and aren't stuck in the middle of the kitchen, bring on case 3.

Need to get more games...

20190513_024822.jpg

• Like 4

So, [url=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/succubuspublishing/middara/posts/2494931]Middara[/url] hit the table. 

Set it up for a learning run-through of the "MAST" extended tutorial/intro that's four encounters long, with the four characters. You get preset gear etc through the story for your "school exams". Ended up playing all four encounters + read the story (multiple pages long..) to set up the first encounter in chapter one. 

I definitely got a few things wrong with combat & enemies, but soldiered through it. In fact, couldn't stop. It really does capture that feeling of a turn based tactical JRPG with its movement rules + relatively straightforward attack/spell flow. There are definitely a lot of numbers/bonuses from gear to remember about (especially when running all four characters...) but I never felt overwhelmed, and the fun of the encounter setup just pulled me in so much. Maps are never quite what they appear initially, with new rooms + enemies + traps + loot appearing when you see key "totem" squares. 

I think this is what I wanted from Arcadia Quest. Middara just slays it on a mechanic level, and then the story & skill trees just pulling me in. I'll be playing it again tomorrow... Need to test out all the new gear I bought... It's big though. Total table hog if you've got the player mats, but I suspect some careful organisation of "bits" & cards will reduce that a lot. 

If Gloomhaven or other 'campaign' games appeal, and you can dig the JRPG/Anime-esque themes, this is something you should pay attention to. There is a lot of game going on in this box. 

• Like 3

Ok, here's Middara in action. Had to put the leaf into the middle of the table to make sure I had plenty of space to spare. The player mats are nice, but do take up a lot of real estate. I expect people are already working on layouts for more 'condensed' ones. 

6TZvJi4.png

This is a relatively small, straightforward encounter. Heroes on the right, monsters on the left. Photos do not do these tiles justice; the UV spots zing. 36 double sided tiles, with a wide variety of terrain types. 

FhN53Qj.png

Cards & "bits". There's another two baggies of status/effects + small tiles off to the side, as I don't typically need them mid-game; I've got piles there for status effects relevant to my spells & monsters. Most of the  equipment decks are irrelevant mid-encounter, just for shopping, so they could be kept off-table. Consumables are frequent rewards for loot though. 

YfN2lWlVaPrBZMxLWEXJd881f2bC30wCz79u1SdI

I can't say enough good things about it, so far. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rainmaykr said:

I was looking at eBay prices - Looks like Middara was a pretty good Kickstarter investment. 😐

They are doing a reprint

1 hour ago, Rainmaykr said:

I was looking at eBay prices - Looks like Middara was a pretty good Kickstarter investment. 😐

Wowzers. It took them a /long/ time to deliver - like 4 years - but I was a late backer. The next KS should ship in waves, and the first one will be relatively quick as all the hard work's been done, just needs manufacturing again ;)

2 hours ago, JoeyN said:

Brian the first two pictures are not showing .

Working now?

7 hours ago, dogbert said:

Working now?

Yep, thanks. The matts are huge, but that’s the trend these days.. You need a few of the broken token stackable card holders :)  I do as well for a few games.

48 minutes ago, Mark E said:

Be interesting to see how the incoming tariffs alter the landscape in gaming...

For now, pubs seem to be taking the hit on their margins. It's on the manufacturing cost, not retail, mind.