LCVG
dogbert

Boardgames & Cardgames, oh my!

Finally got a chance to try out Founders of Gloomhaven this past weekend, and it's definitely a dense game.  We made it through the first round with only a couple of things messed up in the rules, and trying a second pass without workers until we have a handle on the basics.  The game is a really interesting setup of balancing resource placement/production with expansion, and I'm really interested in trying it out with more players.  For game 1 we ended up getting to the point where a prestige building was immediately completed on placement, which makes me wonder whether we just rushed to finishing all the higher tier resources.  The mechanics seem really well balanced though: for example, there's a set of 3 buildings on a proposal board that you could select from and players need to vote on what to build (using influence earned through other actions).  Any player can call a vote once at least 2 cards have been played by everyone, but the player calling the vote doesn't earn standard income (instead they can take money, influence, or roads for each card they have left).  That means that early in the game, calling an early vote can help you cash in more stuff, but later on it can actually be a disadvantage if you've played a lot of cards.  This is also where having more advisers (enhanced actions) in your hand can also help balance things. 

There's no real dependence on mainline gloomhaven (although you do get some potential new events out of it), but it uses the same races and flavour as the main game. 

Just saw that Plaid Hat has discontinued the Ashes Rise of the Phoenixborn line. Which frankly is  very sad, as it was a really good game. It had a great jump out of the gate, and then FFG purchased them. Huge year + delay between expansion releases and by then it was too late, and whatever support they had was gone.  I need to keep a close eye on retailers to see if they discount decks, to try and complete my collection.  

Most of these are since FFG purchased them

Tail Feathers was discounted within a month

Crystal Clans and Guardians which were built to expand both just stopped  out of the gate with no news

Sector Ops 2 had board issues, everyone is just waiting for clearance sales

Gen7 came and went

Seafall was the biggest bomb in gaming over the last few years

Neon Gods I forgot even was released until I looked on their site

Comanauts the same exact thing, and it was a storybook game I was interested in. I don't even remember a review of it on any of the Youtube channels I follow

Only stuff that has done decent

Starship Samurai I really enjoyed, and at least it got an expansion, but its been quiet

Stuffed Fables is probably their biggest hit since Dead of Winter

I am surprised they are still a design studio at this point.

It's not FFG that owns them, it's a large Canadian group F2Z - they own Z-Man etc too. 

1 hour ago, dogbert said:

It's not FFG that owns them, it's a large Canadian group F2Z - they own Z-Man etc too. 

"It was announced on July 22, 2016 that Asmodee also acquired F2Z Entertainment (Z-Man Games, Plaid Hat Games, and Filosophia).[13]

I meant asmodee, all the same company

Plaid hat is mentioned on their site https://www.asmodeena.com/en/

2 hours ago, JoeyN said:

"It was announced on July 22, 2016 that Asmodee also acquired F2Z Entertainment (Z-Man Games, Plaid Hat Games, and Filosophia).[13]

I meant asmodee, all the same company

Plaid hat is mentioned on their site https://www.asmodeena.com/en/

Ah gotcha. Say Asmodee, not FFG next time :P

Most boardgames are failures financially, from what I can tell. 

On 6/20/2019 at 11:02 AM, ChrisBardon said:

Finally got a chance to try out Founders of Gloomhaven this past weekend, and it's definitely a dense game.  We made it through the first round with only a couple of things messed up in the rules, and trying a second pass without workers until we have a handle on the basics.  The game is a really interesting setup of balancing resource placement/production with expansion, and I'm really interested in trying it out with more players.  For game 1 we ended up getting to the point where a prestige building was immediately completed on placement, which makes me wonder whether we just rushed to finishing all the higher tier resources.  The mechanics seem really well balanced though: for example, there's a set of 3 buildings on a proposal board that you could select from and players need to vote on what to build (using influence earned through other actions).  Any player can call a vote once at least 2 cards have been played by everyone, but the player calling the vote doesn't earn standard income (instead they can take money, influence, or roads for each card they have left).  That means that early in the game, calling an early vote can help you cash in more stuff, but later on it can actually be a disadvantage if you've played a lot of cards.  This is also where having more advisers (enhanced actions) in your hand can also help balance things. 

I think I figured out why things seemed rushed at the end-we missed a key point in the rules that we only noticed half way though game 3.  There's a "call to vote" action where you vote on which building to build next (that works really well).  The issue is that the player that triggers the vote retrieves all their action cards, but where me messed up was that we were resetting EVERYONE at this point, and not just the calling player.  Looks like that'll change things pretty significantly for the next round.  Hoping to get started on that tonight. 

Middara KS is live!

Backed for the three acts. I’d like to grab the adventure packs too, but we’ll see. There’s a lot I don’t give a rat’s butt about in the full pack like the casual resins, alternative antagonists, extra dice and playmats, so the all-in pledge is not for me (and too rich for the old blood anyway).

• Like 1

Yeah, there's a lot of fluff that I have no interest in - resins, art books? No thanks. I do like the playmats but they're very big & roomy. Longer than the box actually. I'm in for acts 2+3 obviously, though I might end up with an adventure or two... They're already over $1m. 

I’m at $1 at the moment.but my plan is to back the first set, and whatever else I want in the first wave.Then they say in the FAQ the PM for the second wave will be open until later next year, so I will get the other stuff before that closes.. Help spread the $$ around, as I want to back the Batman Adventures game when it’s up later in the year/early next.

That looks interesting...  Not sure if I dig the overly anime aesthetic of the game, but as a system it looks really neat.  How would you guys say it compares to Gloomhaven?  I gather that you're always running the game with the 4 main characters?  Does that mean that in a 2p game, each person controls 2 characters, or are there rules for "automatons" that aren't being actively controlled? 

Given the dates, I'm wondering if my kids would be into this.  My daughter will be 12 by that point, and might like the customization aspect of it, and it's a way to get more math into her life :)  Not sure on complexity though.

Anime aesthetic - + for some and not for others :). Much as I am enjoying Gloomhaven - we’re playing again tonight, in fact - I love the colour and style of Middara a lot more.

It really reminds me of a JRPG and I am quite okay with that, but I can see how it wouldn’t be some people’s jam.

It's the point where things get a little escher girls that's a little much.  When I showed my wife the page, one comment was "At least jiggle physics would be too expensive to implement on the minis?" :)  We're in on the base game though-looks like there's plenty of time to go into the pledge manager after the fact and order the second two campaigns.  Seems like a smart system to build with actually-no need to commit to everything up front.  

Of course, that means that the first wave of Middara and AC Brotherhood of Venice are going to arrive around the same time, as well as the theoretical big ass Gloomhaven expansion.  At least this is still mostly cheaper than the Lego, comics, or pinball hobbies? 

Oh I am sure my girlfriend will be equally derisive, but it’s not like the cover demon for Gloomhaven is much more clothed :).

Mostly cheaper sounds right ;). I only got permission to preorder by agreeing to buy nothing else this year :P.

I can't get into Middara's aesthetic because I'm not in high school anymore.

I did, however, pick up Wingspan and it's lived up to the hype. The game is gorgeous and the attention to detail is stellar. Gameplay is spot on and it's become the go-to family game night main attraction. Sorry, Trekking the National Parks, but you fought valiantly.

Oh, and here's an update that shows why I can't be trusted as I have very little discipline regarding a game I've played maybe 5 times so far:

20190625_192311.jpg

And the custom DM screen came in!20190625_193034.thumb.jpg.d655f22e0eb891f32b7caf3b939e8b19.jpg

• Like 1

There is a reason I never got into x-wing or attack wing. I would have to buy it all 😀

• Like 1

Savage game of Gloomhaven last night. The card management was crushing us and we got absolutely destroyed.

At least we got the experience and gold, but unlike other scenarios where we squeaked a win with one person left, we barely got in the last room to go after the boss.

I mean, I’m glad it’s not a cakewalk, but... OW.

Which scenario?  There are some that are REALLY hard (fucking oozes...).  The other thing that messed us up early on is the recommended scenario level.  It should be HALF of average character level rounded up, NOT average character level rounded up.  Works out OK at level 1,2, but playing a level 4 scenario with level 4 characters is extra hard.  I mean, it's possible, but not very. 

Also played another round of Founders with the actual rules, and it works out MUCH better than what we'd done before.  Very cool building game if you can track it down.  It also makes tile placement a lot harder, since there are more big ass buildings to fit in. 

It was one of the one-shots, the Temple of the Eclipse (#81). We found it in a road event.

It’s cripplingly bad - the boss can easily summon non-stop elite night and sun demons and they’re bastards (the sun ones at least). Some of it is down to luck - the demons can easily eat the elements needed to kill the specials but if not...

We really took forever clearing the path too - lots of drawing people out into the halls and dithering that was ill advised given how fast your cards hit the fan.

We have been doing the levels correctly though, I caught that the first time we levelled up, luckily ;)

On 6/25/2019 at 7:24 PM, Rainmaykr said:

Oh, and here's an update that shows why I can't be trusted as I have very little discipline regarding a game I've played maybe 5 times so far:

I was not going to buy into the prequel factions. Looking at about 20 or so ships and counting that need to find their way into the X-wing storage. Probably going to sell almost all of my Attack wing and my extra epic ships, so that may help a little bit.

Insert for Twilight Struggle done! 

Sickle/Stars logos didn't come out well because of needing to print them that side down. The little boxes at the top are basically spacers. Map + rules fill up the rest of the space on top. 

PlFljQ0.jpgz7mcW3C.jpg

• Like 3