LCVG
dogbert

Boardgames & Cardgames, oh my!

48 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

Very cool-did you design/print those yourself? 

That actually reminds me that I should play Twilight Struggle again. 

Can't take credit for the design, that's off Thingiverse, but printed them myself. 

The organizers look great!

Probably should be another thread, but do you have your own printer? Our local library has a 3D printer and I keep meaning to see what patrons can do with it.

1 hour ago, dogbert said:

Can't take credit for the design, that's off Thingiverse, but printed them myself.  

I just went on there and started looking at game inserts/stuff, and that's a rabbit hole I didn't need to start going down.  Looks like there's basically custom bits for almost all of the Gloomhaven components, not to mention inserts and such. 

We would die without the Broken Token insert that I spent weeks assembling for Gloomhaven. It’s an absolute godsend and makes it easier for us to get a quest done during our weekly play sessions :).

Yeah, Gloomhaven's a game that gets easier to play with a well organised insert for sure. Not every game needs one, but man, they're nice to have to speed up setup & tear down. 

1 hour ago, Robot Monkey said:

Probably should be another thread, but do you have your own printer? Our local library has a 3D printer and I keep meaning to see what patrons can do with it.

Yeah, I bought an Anycubic Mega-S a few months ago & am happy with it. Our library's got a mini makerlab too, but you're limited in shape/size, and I wanted more freedom. 3D printers definitely aren't a consumer item yet, need a bit of tinkering often, but I dig it so far. Start a thread :)

Local store is refocusing on only supporting a few mini games and clearanced out all their board and card games today. Grabbed a bunch of old and new. Pandemc 10th Anniversary, Elder Sign, Outer Rim, and a bunch of Arkham Horror stuff. Pickesd up the new 40k Sister of Battle figure. That could be  aslippery slope when they release the rest of the new figures later this year.

Nice, I have to pick up Outer Rim eventually.  There has not been any really good board game deals online in a wile. 

I played a demo of it at Celebration and it was really fun. Like that it has a solo mode, which could make for a good travelling companion for work. 

Yep thats why i want to get it. Been playing stuff solo lately.

If anyone has been waiting for products from Asmodee this will be the weekend. Starting Sunday and lasting until the 19th, Asmodee MAPP amnesty is in effect, so stores can deeper discount. Last time amazon had huge discounts of SW stuff, and MM does their big sale as well. Usually not brand new stuff.

Going to keep an eye out for 

Imperial Assault stuff

Starship Samurai expansion

Ashes expansions

Arkham LCG packs I do not have

MoM expansions

could be expensive 🥺

I'll be on vacation in Disney, so I can avoid the sales :)

Speaking of vacation, used a bunch of today to re-familiarise myself + play a bunch more of Middara. So good. Playing rules I got wrong right too :) Reconfigured how I lay out/organise some of it too, using some business card holders I got for Arkham Horror a long time ago helps keep them sane, plus realising what fluff is needed minute to minute vs just occasionally helps a bunch. I don't need all the rare item cards or spells etc.The player mats I love, but easily could be played without them & save a bunch of space. Anyway, here's some pics: 

PdzwD6gl.jpg

0t1LI6vl.jpg

O9p3egEl.jpg

This was a really tough scenario, a couple of encounters long without resting in between, with a bunch of tough decisions/combat, including using an "ally" for the first time. That's four different monster "groups" shown in that last photo, for context... And one dead earth loa, lol :)

• Like 1

Sweet revenge on Gloomhaven as we mopped up a dungeon with complete ease after our last debacle.

Three of us hit level 3, I got a sweet suit of armour in a chest, AND I finished off a bonus perk.

We were playing a lot smarter last night and also corrected the cards added after level up; we didn’t realize you had to pick one and stuff the other one until you could take it after level up again. Whoops.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark E said:

We were playing a lot smarter last night and also corrected the cards added after level up; we didn’t realize you had to pick one and stuff the other one until you could take it after level up again. Whoops.

Yup, you only get access to one of them, although I've been playing with "respec" rules where you can re-roll your cards if you want.  Haven't really had to much yet though-just about all the cards seem viable given play styles.  You can take the other l2 card at l3 if you want, but I haven't really found a scenario where I don't want the higher level card yet. 

Yeah, I can’t imagine not taking a new level power each time (well, actually, I found the choice for my tinkerer at level 2 super brutal but...)

Gloomhaven or Scythe, that is the question of our time...

I'd like to get an "epic" game and create an heirloom-quality set out of it - with inserts, upgraded components, all cards sleeved, painted miniatures, the works. The two that interest me are Gloomhaven and Scythe. Both seem to be this generation's standard bearers for deep, beautiful, and well-realized large game worlds, so both seem to make great examples for what I'd like to do.

I'll end up getting both games, but I want to go "all out" with one of them.

My heart is telling me Scythe, a lot having to do with the gorgeous artwork and the possibility of creating a HUGE-er set with all the expansions. I really like the idea of filling the Legendary Box with 80lbs of over-wrought gaming goodness.

I've been practicing my miniatures painting technique on the Mice & Mystics set and I think I'm already ready to tackle a project like this. Even ordered a bunch of textures and tufts in preparation for taking the bases to 11, too.

20190712_044405.jpg

• Like 1

I still need to play Gloomhaven . As for scythe, I own everything except the new modular board so far. Love that game.

• Like 1

It'll probably be Scythe, but after some quick Amazon cart math we're talking about $450 for EVERYTHING. And I'll still have to paint about a thousand miniatures. But when complete, man, it'll be something to be proud of...

Side note: Any experience with Tower Rex on Etsy? They produce some clever inserts, even for some games that Broken Token and others don't, like Wingspan, for a reasonable price. I ordered a few last week, so I'm about to find out how long it takes a package to arrive from the Ukraine (speaking of Scythe).

Scythe does not have that many minis actually. Each faction has 4 mechs and an airship if you buy it all. So probably around 36 or so. Everything else is wood meeples and buildings. Forgot i also need to get the encounters pack that came out earlier this year. Been a while since we had a game night..

I’ve seen people on bgg buy stuff from tower rex with no problems.

Another note about the Asmodee sale, CMON is a part of it as Asmodee has that distribution agreement with them. No prices , but Rob Orin did a video reading off stuff on the sale list, a lot of good stuff this time.

Aight, it's about to go off.

Scythe

Invaders from Afar Expansion

Wind Gambit Expansion 

Rise of Fenris Expansion

Encounters Expansion

Legendary Box

Broken Token base insert

Broken Token Legendary insert

Realistic resources pack

Metal money pack

Complete Promo Set (from MeepleSource.com)

MeepleSource Component Upgrade Complete Set, including Fenris Expansion

Sleeves for all 3 different size cards

Will get modular board when it launches, and probably the extension for the sake of completeness.

I have a bunch of Vallejo textures, Army Painter tufts, and other such supplies already inbound to do the miniatures up.

Missing anything?

The extra power dials. Base box has two to pass around, but for complete set you need the other 5 on meeplesource. 

Maybe is also should use that money for whatever x-wing is on sale starting tomorrow :)

I filled my MM wishlist with everything I eventually want to get. The price drop notices usually go out before the MM site comes back up to start the sales, so I should have an idea of what is going to happen. Plus its easier to just add things to the cart quicker that way.

9 hours ago, JoeyN said:

The extra power dials. Base box has two to pass around, but for complete set you need the other 5 on meeplesource. 

Those are included Meeple Source's complete promo set.

7 hours ago, dogbert said:

Have you played the base first to make sure you like it? :)

That would suck. (Played a little on PC but at this point I've watched so many tabletop playthroughs on YouTube, and for Gloomhaven, too, I don't THINK I'm in for any big letdown.)

Everything is ordered. Now we wait.

• Like 1

Well these sales are shitty for what I was looking for.  Cardhaus had nothing except much except ashes decks, but they must have had almost nothing in stock as they were gone before i hit checkout. Miniature Market is not much better. Picked up 4 Imperial Assault singles I did not have yet, and a  Arkham LCG pack to fill in a wave  I started to buy, but have not played yet.  

Keyforge boxes are a great price, but I already have a ton of decks to play. Well worth $5 a deck.

If you want to try SW Destiny you can get in dirt cheap as well. Arkham horror 3rd edition must be doing poorly at 50% off already

Spent a grand total of....$38 after rewards points .