LCVG
dogbert

Boardgames & Cardgames, oh my!

Weird set of announcements from FFG, frankly. The expected - moar keyforge! The unexpected - Marvel licence, LCG, minis, and a weird 60 minute Arkham Horror game. The minis presentation was so dry. 

Used to be I lapped up almost every FFG release, but I'm so out of their market these days. 

I’m interested in Keyforge and marvel lcg, the rest was pretty boring. They didn’t even announce any more Lord of the Rings Adventures expansions.

I am really looking forward to the marvel lcg. It scales from 1-4 players, and the way the deck creation works, opens all sorts of new possibilities. Team Covenant has many videos about the game , and a few gameplay videos.

3 hours ago, JoeyN said:

I am really looking forward to the marvel lcg. It scales from 1-4 players, and the way the deck creation works, opens all sorts of new possibilities. Team Covenant has many videos about the game , and a few gameplay videos.

FFG's LCGs have been hit + miss with me, mostly miss... I can see why they're popular, but deck construction is not something I enjoy, despite trying it with multiple games. I've been told I should enjoy Arkham Horror a bunch, but again, the deck building turns me off, as does the release schedule to "keep up". 

Unrelated, but Bargain Quest's expansion + promos finally showed up ~6 months later than planned. Tons of content we're looking forward to digging into, but the mismanagement of the campaign/delivery really left a sour note, which is a shame, because the game is a ton of fun. Snowdonia Deluxe KS is due to arrive in a few weeks too - a massive pallet of 30 copies in fact :) Really looking forward to cracking that open. 

I love Arkham lcg. I bought the the first few cycles on the cheap a while back, so I still have plenty to play still. I am not to the point where I have had to do much building yet. There is no rush to keep up as I’m Not building decks to play against people. 

The Marvel one is a lot more simple. You take the 13 cards from the hero you want, take a grouping of an archetype, and add in a few neutral cards so the deck is between 40-50ish cards. Every character pack comes as a playable deck. 

I am very glad these two games are co-op, as its easy to solo play as well.

No deck building is also why I like Keyforge:) 

Older game, is it worth grabbinhg the expansions for Elder Sign. Local store just moved and they have a ton of stuff on clearance as they moved to a smaller space.

I didn't want to wait around for the demos at gencon on the Marvel games. The miniature game is a no go for me much for the reason I don't play legion. If the figures were assembled and painted might be a different story. Hoping to get a demo in of the lcg at Nova Open later this month.

19 minutes ago, Orpheus said:

Older game, is it worth grabbinhg the expansions for Elder Sign. Local store just moved and they have a ton of stuff on clearance as they moved to a smaller space.

From what I've seen/played, the Elder Sign expansions add options/complexity, like most of the Arkham game expansions - if you find the base game limiting in difficulty or choice, or you need more "things" because you've played it enough, the expansions are good adds. If you think you like the game but haven't played it much, they may not be such good purchases. 

Got my GenCon score framed and delivered today. I got to talk to Natalia Rojas, art director for Wingspan, and convinced her to sell me the original art for the Ruby Throated Hummingbird, a powerful and popular bird in the game - It's also on the box spine. It's now hanging in the entryway into the game room.

I could get used to having original game art on the walls...

20190810_172241.jpg

20190810_172720.jpg

20190810_172330.jpg

• Like 3

For the first time ever, I've bought a replacement copy of a game because the original was so worn out from play, as certain role cards were clearly marked - Love Letter. Picked up a new 'filler' too - Point Salad. Real quick set collection game that's gone over well with the kids. It's nothing revolutionary, but it's fun and really easy to teach. 

While in PA i picked up the Scythe Modular board, scythe encounter card pack, the new choose your own adventure, and Chrono Trek. 

Chrono trek is a lot of fun, we played a handful of games.

Last night we played 3 person Outer Rim , and had a blast. Wish we were staying another day to play again. Was a Close game, that i would have won if I did not roll blanks :(

I spent the weekend finally selling off my stuff. I made over $300 because I wanted the space so I made some crazy listings to get things gone. Felt damn good though - there was a monster pile on the floor of my game storage and it’s now basically gone.

And I am going to future-proof the shelves, if possible, for the few things I have Kickstarted. Pretty satisfying, all told.

I’m eyeing up that Sleeping Gods KS though, I have to say...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mark E said:

I spent the weekend finally selling off my stuff. I made over $300 because I wanted the space so I made some crazy listings to get things gone. Felt damn good though - there was a monster pile on the floor of my game storage and it’s now basically gone.

And I am going to future-proof the shelves, if possible, for the few things I have Kickstarted. Pretty satisfying, all told.

Not to get all Marie Kondo, but yeah, it really is a good feeling. 

I mean, there was waste piling up and I want those games to get played. My copy of Ashes still had the shrink wrap on the cards ffs :P.

And Kondo was 100% quoted during this phase ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m also being pretty brutal about tossing games where there’s a lot of genre overlap.

I never played my copy of Tzol’kin, but I have a ton of other worker placement games that I like or want to play more like Belfort or Brew Crafters.

I love Trains: Rising Sun, but we have Clank and it’s amazing, sooooo why bother?

And the auction games... I basically need Traumfabrik, Modern Art, and Santiago and I’m good, much as I like Ra and Medici...

Second sale coming in future it seems :P

Profits put a new chair in the living room so I was permitted to back the Sleeping Gods KS.

Oh, Brian, do you have any experience with the add-on adventures for Middara? I’m wondering if I’ll want extra bounties or the mini-campaigns...

Sleeping Gods i will wait for retail, as nothing major is KS exclusive.

I may break on backing a KS, as I have put  $1 on Trudvang Legends as I like the gameplay videos a few people have posted. Will wait to see more before backing. CMON is good at having pledge managers being longer. 

Any good games I can play solo these days catch my eye. Its been hard getting people together for a while now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark E said:

Oh, Brian, do you have any experience with the add-on adventures for Middara? I’m wondering if I’ll want extra bounties or the mini-campaigns...

No advice, I haven't touched a bounty yet as the current one is higher level than the start of the game. No mini-campaigns out yet either. I'm tempted by 'em all though, along with the alternative adversaries. 

• Like 1

Haha, I looked at Trudvang, but my game group basically told me in no uncertain terms not to do it.

Since our Gloomhaven campaign will wrap right around the time Middara phase 1 arrives... they’re probably right.

I’d rather sell a few more games and invest in the Middara add-ons, honestly (thanks a bunch Brian...).

You're welcome!

I've utterly ignored Trudvang; there was a time I'd be all over it, but I'm past that. I've seen so much mixed reaction to it & other recent CMON campaigns. 

Another game of Bohnanza with the family tonight, and it's clear they're learning how to be tougher negotiators as it was a much longer game. Love Letter/Point Salad the last few nights too. It's been good! 

I think the last cmon game I got was Rising sun. Which is a shame As I used to get a lot of their games.

I finally lost a game of Bohnanza at home. Some griping & anger issues with kids unwilling to put aside their sibling hatred, so "meh". 

We finally got our shipping notice for the Austin group order of the deluxe Snowdonia - there's been some shenanigans with some of the large group orders being effectively ignored to last without any communications despite the KS saying all is good + done. The shipping weight? 368 pounds!!! Looking forward to it, it's a great light weight worker placement with a bunch of ways to mix it up, and the price we paid was a total bargain. 

That is a heavy meatball!

I am very undergamed. Parents are in town so that means nonstop Scrabble until they go and my Gloomhaven crew is half in France for most of September...

I cancelled my Sleeping Gods KS, ‘twas no point :). I’d really like Half Truth, but the Canadian shipping is stupid high.

That’s my gaming excitement. Once September calms down a bit on the professional front I’ll start unloading a few more games to pick up the Middara add-ons I wanted.

Oh, we totally retired two characters in Gloomhaven. I decided to play the one I unlocked - the five circles - and the play style could not be MORE different from my tinkerer. Swapping characters adds a lovely bit of variety. It remains one of our best long term experiences since starting our Legacy stuff :).

That heavy meatball is doomed to not arrive. Fedex "Exception" hit last night - truck broke down in Oregon!!