LCVG

SVS on the way!

bendak

I was reading about those Auralex Gramma/Subdude pads that reduce vibrations, but before spending 50 bucks on one I decided to try a homemade one.

18x18x2 concrete stepping stone, covered with carpet (cut to fit, extra stuff I had). Underneath I cut tennis balls in half and glued them on (round part touching the ground) to elevate it off the ground. This eliminated some vibration problems I was having not only in the room but also upstairs (HT is in the basement). Mostly subtle but annoying things. Also the bass seemed to tighten up slighty. Total cost = $6.00 - Can't wait to plop my SVS on there...UPS says it'll be here Tuesday.

BTW the tennis balls compress about halfway when I stand on it, so it should have no problem with the SVS on there.

I am in the market for some smaller speakers for my new living room, and just noticed that SVS is getting ready to launch a line up of speakers. I'm very interested.

Yeah only $899 for the full 5.1 setup...and if their subs are any indication then they'll probably sound like speakers 3 times their price.

Hey I've been meaning to ask somebody this question for a while now but just what exactlly is the difference between those cylinder subs and SVS's regular boxed subs? Other than the obvious answer which is size. :) What are the advantages/disadvantages to owning either one. Anyway just curious. I'm not in the market for one as I'm the proud owner of an SVS PB10-ISD. Everyone that hears my HT cannot believe the bass that the sub puts out. I'm so glad I took the chance of ordering a sub without having the chance to demo it. SVS kick ass! Great to see them getting into the speaker market as well.

Hey I've been meaning to ask somebody this question for a while now but just what exactlly is the difference between those cylinder subs and SVS's regular boxed subs? Other than the obvious answer which is size. :) What are the advantages/disadvantages to owning either one. Anyway just curious. I'm not in the market for one as I'm the proud owner of an SVS PB10-ISD. Everyone that hears my HT cannot believe the bass that the sub puts out. I'm so glad I took the chance of ordering a sub without having the chance to demo it. SVS kick ass! Great to see them getting into the speaker market as well.

The difference is that the cylinders have a smaller footprint, are lighter and easier to move around, and are a little bit cheaper to produce than a equal box counterpart. Other than that they sound about the same. For example a 25-31PCi and a PB-12/ISD are pretty equal but the PCi is $50 cheaper and I think around 15 pounds lighter.

The difference is that the cylinders have a smaller footprint, are lighter and easier to move around, and are a little bit cheaper to produce than a equal box counterpart.

Yep, that's pretty much it. You don't have to build a cabinet for a cylinder sub, and that helps reduce the cost of manufacturing it. I've never heard one of their box subs, but I'm sure they're every bit as impressive as my cylinder one.

I am in the market for some smaller speakers for my new living room, and just noticed that SVS is getting ready to launch a line up of speakers. I'm very interested.

As am I. Eventually I want to get a second home theater system for my bedroom, and these would do nicely. I was originally planning on getting a set of ELT speakers over at AV123 along with the PB10-ISD, but it looks as if they've been discontinued. :(

No matter, the SVS ones look like they would be the right size for what I had in mind. I only wish for two things. First, I'd like to see them expand the number of finishes for those speakers. Second, I'd also like to see them develop a surround speaker that I can hang on my wall. I have the room pre-wired for the surrounds, and it would be difficult to raise the bookshelf speakers high enough to reach the cable in the wall.

Of course, I?ll have to take care of a few other purchases before then, such as pay off the dining room table I purchased, get that new bedroom set I wanted, and try to find a certain hard-to-locate video game console. Once I get all that taken care of, I'll worry about getting that second home theater. ;)

I'll 3RD that War of the Worlds recommendation! Damn, there's some SERIOUS sub action in that movie!!!!

The movie itself is okay.

And, I've been a very happy SVS customer since they were "SV..who"? :) My original 16/46pc was just over their 300'th order. I now have 2 16/46PC+'s sitting in the front corners of my ht room. When you consider that my subfloor is solid, poured concrete, it's even more amazing that these subs can send out shockwaves deep enough to shake my couch, 20ft away.

Glad to see that SVS is doing so well that they've changed their name to SV Sound. :tu

My sub is sitting in a warehouse right now about 2 hours away. The wait is killin me! Of course I have tomorrow off of work...don't wanna miss that shipment :rock

I was around HTF and AVSForum when SVS first came out with their cylinder subs many years ago and remember wanting them badly, but it was out of the question as I was in college.

Less than 24 hours :rock

I love my dual 20-39CS subs (with samson 700w amp).

I was one of the early SVS buyers, my subs were #75 and #76 if I remember correctly. Over the years since I bought them, I have upgraded every other part of my home theater system (some more than once), but have never even considered upgrading the subs. They are as good as everyone says they are.

Enjoy.

Jeff

I forgot to mention how great SVS's customer service is.

When my two subs arrived, one of them was missing its carpet spikes. I sent an email to customer service, and they shipped out a replacement set of spikes. When I received the package, they had also included a copy of Artisans "Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition" DVD (the one with the cool metal case).

If I ever bring myself to upgrade these subs, it will be with another SVS (or 2). I am a customer for life.

Jeff

I forgot to mention how great SVS's customer service is.

When my two subs arrived' date=' one of them was missing its carpet spikes. I sent an email to customer service, and they shipped out a replacement set of spikes. When I received the package, they had also included a copy of Artisans "Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition" DVD (the one with the cool metal case).

If I ever bring myself to upgrade these subs, it will be with another SVS (or 2). I am a customer for life.

Jeff[/quote']

Wow, that's great. Well their email response time is very good, so that's usually a good indication too.

Anyone know what happened to the SS and B4+ subs? Can't see them on their new site anywhere.

Anyone know what happened to the SS and B4+ subs? Can't see them on their new site anywhere.

My guess is that they were discontinued. Perhaps not enough people bought them to make it worth selling them.

Too bad. I would have loved to have heard what the B4 could have done with a movie like The Haunting. :)

I'll echo what everyone has said about their customer support. I had a very pleasant experience going back and forth with Ron Stimpson from SVS regarding a few questions I had about calibration and whatnot. He was quick to respond and you can tell he is very passionate about what he does. I think that is key. Passion. Them SVS guys are sound nuts and they want everyone to experience nothing but the best. Ya I'm a SV customer for life as well.

Sub arrived today. Here is my review in 12 words or less:

Today I discovered that my home is of very poor build quality.

:lmfao

WOTW was ridiculous during the scene where the tripod breaks out. I mean it was just plain stupid. It felt like my walls were crumbling apart. I put my hand above the port and it was like a fan. That was the first thing I tried. Then I played a bunch of other movie scenes, including Jurassic Park DTS (yes, the fixed version! R2-D2 on the disc hub or whatever) which was killer...the opening title sequence at -5 below reference shattered my teeth. And the T-Rex too of course. Tried a bunch of other scenes off SVS' list of bass scenes (U-571 :eh ). Tried some music too, sounded nice. It handled heavy metal with ease, as opposed to a lot of subs I've tried in the past that just get muddy at high volumes.

I have a few of these "bass test" mp3s I downloaded a while ago that made my ears feel like they were gonna pop. One in particular was about a minute long and its t-rex footsteps followed by a roar and the sounds of him crunching bones and eating. The first few footsteps were subsonic...I couldn't hear it, but I felt it in my chest, and something inside my wall made the strangest noise...since I got the 22hz tune option it was probably something around 16-18hz (I was told in-room response is better than the spec).

Haven't even tried gaming yet...been busy with movies. :tu