LCVG

Realistic Ammo Management

Carlucci

Does any game out there offer realistic ammo management?

I think games are way too liberal with the reloading. Even more realistic military games like Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon abandon treating the clip as single unit of ammo.

Example: you have 3 20 round clips, A is in your weapon. You fire a burst, get down to 6 rounds, and hit reload so you have a full clip for the next encounter. So you swap out A for B and you are back to 20 rounds. You do it again, and you hit reload, swapping B for C.

Now when you expend ammo from C and reload, you should have to swap back to either the 6 rounds left in A or the 6 rounds left in B, but instead you get the full 12 round combined total from both. So if you get C down to 8 rounds and hit reload, all of a sudden you are back to 20. :confused:

I suppose you could have been busily combining those rounds while walking around, but that's not very realistic, is it?

In the military, you wouldn't swap out a clip with another until all the rounds have been expended, right?

Would more realistic ammo management make a game like RS3 more enjoyable for you, or more tedious?

I would like to see it in a game to see how I like it. Are there any out there?

Carlos.

First, I'm pretty sure you are talking about magazines, not clips, in your example.

Anyway, I thought RS3 does not consolidate your ammunition for you. Or am I thinking of the Ghost Recon series here? I seem to remember that you can swap mags to your heart's content, but when you burn through all your fully-loaded magazines, you find yourself reloading your weapon with the partially-used magazines you swapped out earlier.

And I dunno what they tell you in training these days, but personally I would take any opportunity to make sure that I had a full magazine in my weapon at all times.

I'd have to check but I don't think Rainbow Six penalizes players for swapping a 1/2 full clip for a full one. I can't think of a single game which does this.

Reality in shooters can be fun to a point. It certainly depends upon other aspects of a game's design. I've seen film of US soldiers in WWII loaded with 12 or more grenades and literally thousands of rounds of ammo. That certainly makes the maximum 4 grenade limit in Halo to be a bit low (especially considering Master Chief's physical abilities). If we want realism we could expect that WWII soldier's mobility to take a serious hit when lugging around such a cache of ammo and equipment.

Game aren't realistic, I don't really want them to be any more than they are.

After all, in a realistic game you would spend 20-30 hours crouched in a trench, then get shot once and spend 3-5 weeks unable to play the game as you heal.

I don't have any interest in real combat. I like it nice, fast, and fantasy.

Perhaps devs are trying to balance realism and fun? Maybe they feel that it isn't quite as fun to try to keep a full clip at all times, and not worry about throwing some ammo away in a clip that isn't completely used?

As far as realism is concerned, there shouldn't be any ammo counters onscreen EVER!

Of all the firearms I own: handguns, rifles, shotguns, there isn't a single one with an onboard ammo counter that you can see. Haven't seen any weapons at any of the gunshows I've been too either, that had ammo counter screens.

Game devs are constantly trying to get the right balance of realism and fun.

Game aren't realistic, I don't really want them to be any more than they are.

Same here. Games don't present a realistic portrayal of war or anything else for that matter. Even the "realistic" games are only stylized versions of reality in which the developer creates the rules that best serve the purpose of gameplay. Things like being able to reload weapons without losing ammo or using a heads-up display don't bother me because they make playing the game easier (though they don't always make the game easy). Now, if a developer wanted to make a game more realistic by adding in better AI or integrate physics into a game, that's fine by me. Things like that can really make a game more fun because it adds to the depth and strategy you have to employ.

It's sort of like movies. I don't expect something that perfectly mirrors the real world. I want a film to do its best to entertain me for a couple hours, and I don't care as long as it's believable enough. If a game can do something similar with gameplay, that's fine with me.

Same here. Games don't present a realistic portrayal of war or anything else for that matter. Even the "realistic" games are only stylized versions of reality in which the developer creates the rules that best serve the purpose of gameplay. Things like being able to reload weapons without losing ammo or using a heads-up display don't bother me because they make playing the game easier (though they don't always make the game easy). Now' date=' if a developer wanted to make a game more realistic by adding in better AI or integrate physics into a game, that's fine by me. Things like that can really make a game more fun because it adds to the depth and strategy you have to employ.

It's sort of like movies. I don't expect something that perfectly mirrors the real world. I want a film to do its best to entertain me for a couple hours, and I don't care as long as it's believable enough. If a game can do something similar with gameplay, that's fine with me.[/quote']

Amen brother

I am pretty sure the "Battlefield" series does it right. If you put in a new magazine, you lose the remaining ammo in your old magazine.

Yep. And your ammo can be rather limited in that game in general, so you actually have to think about reloading a little... I enjoy it.

I was wondering why my reload button wasn't working for the M1 Garand in Call of Duty.

Activision made this weapon "Historically accurate."

Why they seem to think that you can just add more bullets to a clip while on the battlefield with every other weapon is beyond me.

What I ended up doing with this weapon when I had it was to just fire off the last few rounds into a wall before I went into a tougher situation. Wasting ammo... yet another reason Glen should never be sent into war.

Glen