LCVG

XBL Flavor of the Month - Nov.?

FLYING SE7EN

I'm trying to limit my purchases in Nov to one per genre (There's a lot of great stuff coming out!), and I'm getting pretty addicted to GR:IT.

So which of the squad based, anti-terror, XBL enabled, FP shooters is going to rule the roost?

I'm leaning towards renting RS3 and buying CS because I've never played the PC version of CS and having a reputation as the worlds most popular online shooter doesn't hurt.

Feel free to opine...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll definitely be getting both... but I think Rainbox Six 3 will get the bulk of my attention. I'm another one who has never played Counterstrike, but from the videos I watched the other day, it looks more like a run & gun then I thought it was going to be... can anyone confirm this? To be honest, I thought the videos looked very similar to Soldier of Fortune: Double Helix, which isn't a good thing in my opinion.

They both look like shooters to me.

That's why I only want to buy one of them. I'll end up getting the one with the best multiplayer features (or the one that most of the guys here get).

If I'm gonna get killed repeatedly online, it may as well be at the hands of friends :)

it looks more like a run & gun then I thought it was going to be...

If that ends up being the case, I'd probably go with RS3, as some of the other games I'll be buying that month feature this type of online play...

Could someone fill this PC / Xbox newb in on the difference between these games? They both look like shooters to me.

Rainbow is a squad based tactial shooter ala Ghost Recon but in close quarters areas like wharehouses and what not (where as GR is open large envrionments). Its a slower more "realistic" type of shooter where 1-2 well placed hits will instantly kill you or your opponents.

Counterstrike is the very definition of run anf gun ala Wolfenstein. Class based, energy bars that last a good while. Much more fast paced and hell someones gotta like it since its still one of the most played PC shooters out there.

I have no doubt both will be quality games but I prefer to the Rainbow formula and Im still deciding on CS. XIII may end up being a PC purchase for me.

But won't come play them with friends on Live.

Dont own GR:IT and dont plan too. Already have the PC versions and I don't wnat to rebuy. Though I'll be happy to play some football Jay:). I've been on live quite a bit the last week or so.

Originally posted by FutureVoid@Sep 17 2003, 05:40 PM

Though I've given Buck some good runs for his money.

I think what you meant to say was, "Though I've given Buck a run for his money, once" ;)

I'd like to take this time and announce that I'm still undefeated. Although, I've only played Kelley and Romier, but still, I'm undefeated :green:

Class based, energy bars that last a good while.

Er, are we talking CS or TFC? Unless they significantly altered CS for the X-Box, then there are no classes in CS, only your team - Counter-Terrorist or Terrorist. And the energy bar thing is also not true.

Generally you might survive four or five hits at most in CS depending on the weapon. A good headshot can off you outright with a sniper rifle.

Mind you, I don't terribly care about defending CS since I'm so recently converted to Day of Defeat, which I like way more, but just felt I should correct the info.

Unless you were talking about Wolfenstein :P.

Romier,

You are way off on Counter-Strike. There are no classes and no energy bars, but a Health percentage and an armor percentage. A head shot from any weapon will most likely kill you unless you bought armor. Only the weakest weapons wont one-hit kill you then, but it will deplete a lot of your health.

CS is very team oriented, if you run and gun, you will die 95% of the time. Counter-Strike isn't as realistic as the Rainbow series, but it takes its realism serious. Guns recoil, jumping and shooting on ladders is very inaccurate. Crouching is the best way to be accurate. Also, there is no respawning. Once you die you die.

Without the cheaters that have plagued the PC version, I believe this could be the biggest hit on Live, until Halo 2 arrives.

-Dean-

There are no classes and no energy bars, but a Health percentage and an armor percentage

Your right, had Wolfenstein on the brain as Mark noted above which is why I blurted that out. My apologies oh Ringwraith one and to everyone for that :D.

I know its team oriented as well. I played it for a couple of days on the PC and disliked it. Though you can get head shots which will kill in one shot etc.. the game is veered far more towards fast paced action than something like Rainbow 6, which while it can be played like that, is a bit slower paced and more to my liking. Which was my original point and why my preference is towards that game. ;)

Uh huh. And my friend invite has still gone unanswered. I see how it is.

Well it sucks being friendless dont it :lmfao:

Seriously Ill jump on tonight and accept it quick.

the game is veered far more towards fast paced action

Actually in my opinion it's the players who cause this state of affairs, not the game itself. The game is, to my mind, properly played when teams are using tactics, but that so very rarely happens. Instead people rush off and try to run into each other at the middle of the map and deathmatch themselves stupid.

Realistically, if you're CTs and there are two bomb sites, does it not make sense to guard them? Yes. And if you're a Terrorist, would you not guard your hostages? Yes. But try either of those things on most CS servers and you get bitched at, sometimes by admins as well, for camping.

Pure stupidity. My recent return to CS was really utterly spoiled by the players more than the game and it's sad but I wouldn't pick it up again without a friends-only group like this place.

Realistically, if you're CTs and there are two bomb sites, does it not make sense to guard them? Yes. And if you're a Terrorist, would you not guard your hostages? Yes. But try either of those things on most CS servers and you get bitched at, sometimes by admins as well, for camping.

Sure I know EXACTLY what you mean Mark. CS shares a good bit in common with Socom in that regard. There is actually quite a bit of strategy behind playing Socom when your team is cooperating and working together. CS is similiar in that fashion however I just could never get into it like I did Socom. To be fair here I havent bothered to even try CS in a very LONG time so who knows, maybe I'll load it up again when I get home and check it out.

Personally I enjoy shooters of the Ghost Recon and Rainbow variety far more than the CS's or Wolfensteins of the world. The "realism" factor just does it for me and I'll admit to having a bit of bias towards R6 as I've been playing 3 on the PC for months now and I love it. :D

I would want to get Counterstrike, but I'm a fan of the PC version. I don't know if I could go from mouse/keyboard to a controller. For FPS' that I've never played on the PC (RtCW for example) I find easier to just pick up the controller and start playing... guess because I can't compare it to it's PC counterpart.

I've not played CS again, since getting kicked off both the servers I liked playing on. First one for "trying to tell people what to do" when I suggested that we should defend out bomb area as CTs, and the second for "being a camping sniper whore" when I tried to just do the same myself without any help.

I'll not be re-buying CS on the XBox. In fact, given how little I've gotten through it so far, I fully plan to still be playing GR:IT come December.

-I'm leaning toward RS. I've played both in past versions and I perfer the level of polish in RS and the realism. Although I'm sure they'll both be great games, I will not be buying both as there are just too many other good games coming out. I missed out on the GR fun with you guys so I'm looking forward to this game.

-Does anyone know how the voice chat will work? I don't care for the hitting a button method of communicating so I'm hoping that they don't go that route.

I sure am glad this forum exists! You guys may have just saved me $50. After reading all of the posts so far, I don't think CounterStrike is going to be my type of game. I am sure I will end up renting it and verifying that for myself, but with Rainbow Six coming out, I will probably have plenty to keep me busy -- especially since, like Iain, I will still be playing GRIT then too.

Iain, I am going to graveyard shift starting next week... maybe I'll run into you since I may occasionally play some morning/day games after coming home from work at 7am my time...