LCVG

Rallisport 2 Announced

kelley

rallisport2_091703_26.jpg

rallisport2_091703_27.jpg

rallisport2_091703_24.jpg

rallisport2_091703_20.jpg

Wow! Live support and XSN support.

"With the addition of XSN Sports technology, 'RalliSport Challenge 2' will redefine the racing genre," said Ed Fries, vice president of Microsoft? game content at Microsoft Corp. "Gamers have been looking for ways to compete at an entirely new level. XSN Sports takes them to that level by tracking times and organizing tournaments to find out who truly is the best racer in the world."

I'm excited! RSC is one of my favorite racers.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's certainly coming together nicely by the looks of things. I still love the first game, which remains my Rally game of choice however tempting various Colin McRae installments are.... Ralisport and Project Gotham on the X-box and Gran Turismo on the Playstation2 are really all the driving game goodness I could ever desire.

Daniel

-This should be a great experience, and reading about the Live aspects have got me giddy! I loved the first game, although I have to say I'm still stuggling to move on in the races, i.e. I SUCK at the game!

-It's looking like my 'sure bet' XSN purchases will be Links 2004, and RS2. And there's a good chance I'll be picking up NHL Rivals. Hopefully the rest of the XSN games suck because I will be running out of money with all the games I already want/need. ;):D

Wow, still catching up on the news...this looks killer. The online aspect is going to rock...

I have a love/hate feeling about the first one, love the graphics, but felt that the cars were a little sloppy to drive, and there wasn't enough difference between driving surfaces. The tracks were all graded too well, almost perfectly flat.

Now if Microsoft would just please get a true force-feedback wheel for the Xbox and have RSC2 (and what the hell, PGR2) support it I'll never leave the house.

Ditto. The Xbox needs a high quality, force-feedback wheel with good rotation. The MC ones now just won't do.

I haven't sampled any of their current stuff but if the older Mad Catz wheels are any indication, this current stuff won't be particularly impressive, either. The one I tried was weighted all wrong, on-center feel was aritificial, buttons incorrectly placed and the build was so-so.

Logitech should come to the rescue.

• 2 weeks later...

There are some really great looking movies of this game up at IGN now:

Rallisport Challenge 2

The graphics look very nice; some spiffy looking weather effects with especially cool looking fog/mist/rain. Hell, the first game looked good enough for me. 8) The damage model looks vastly improved as well. Can't wait to see the online features too! (I also hope they include an in-car view like the Colin McRae games have)

Originally posted by Dan B.@Oct 3 2003, 07:53 PM

There are some really great looking movies of this game up at IGN now:

Rallisport Challenge 2

The graphics look very nice; some spiffy looking weather effects with especially cool looking fog. Hell, the first game looked good enough for me. 8) The damage model looks vastly improved as well. Can't wait to see the online features too! (I also hope they include an in-car view like the Colin McRae games have)

Uh...yeah...that's....pretty....damn....nice...

Those movies look absolutely stunning, wow. The sun effects are fantastic, the way it glints between the trees. The mud surface looks downright filthy. I noticed that when the car goes through the covered bridge it doesn't take on the darkness of the environment, no big. The rain looks amazing, the only problem is that it 'follows' along with the car/viewpoint. Nonetheless, judging by these, this will be the best looking racing game ever.

• 2 months later...

IGN hands on with RSC2

Up to 16 players will be able to race on Xbox Live in hill climbs, rally races, rallicross and ice races. Crossover duels, by definition will only be head-to-head races over Xbox Live. During online races you can use damage/performance settings and car tuning options as criteria for races that you'll be setting up. The advanced car tuning options allow you to micromanage your suspension and brake settings for your desired style of racing. Like we saw in Project Gotham Racing 2, you'll be able to download and race the ghosts of other Xbox Live players who hold records on particular tracks.

16 player races on the ice drooling3.gif

Interesting that they found it "more arcadey". Hopefully the handling hasn't changed for the worse...

Oh, I found a movie with footage of the behind-the-dash view now too:

http://www.gon.nu/annons/RalliSport_Challe...thout_sound.wmv

And some footage of night racing:

http://www.gon.nu/annons/RalliSport_Challe...out_sound_3.wmv

And another preview at 1up:

http://www.1up.com/article2/0,4364,1407231,00.asp

Interestingly, they note a new 4 point physics model which sounds like it would be less arcadey (in contrast to what IGN said).

I want this game. Soon.

Yeah, I wish they'd been a tiny bit more descriptive beyond "more arcadey" as that can mean different things to different people.

I thought the first one was somewhat arcadey, or at least not very accurate in terms of replicating different driving surfaces. They got the car's weight right, but the way they reacted to dirt vs mud vs grass, etc just didn't feel right to me...which is to say there was very little difference.