LCVG

Silent Hill Movie Announced...

Carlucci

Konami of America, Inc. today announced that its hit psychological horror videogame series, Silent Hill, will be released worldwide as a major motion picture. Production company Davis Films will produce the feature film adaptation of Konami's popular franchise. Produced by Konami Computer Entertainment Tokyo, Inc., the Silent Hill games thrust players into a nightmarish world where they must unravel twisted storylines and battle grotesque creatures and terrifying monsters.

Bringing the series to the big screen is prolific producer Samuel Hadida whose credits include blockbuster films, True Romance, directed by Tony Scott and written by Quentin Tarantino, Spider, directed by David Cronenberg, and Brotherhood of the Wolf, directed by Christophe Gans. Gans, who also directed the major motion picture, Crying Freeman, has been appointed as the director of the Silent Hill feature film.

"Silent Hill is a groundbreaking game with an atmosphere that has mesmerized millions of gamers all over the world - it is scary and clever," said Christophe Gans. "I am very proud to be associated with this game."

Working closely with the production team, Konami Corporation will help recreate the universal appeal of the game by overseeing the script development, participating in the design of all the monsters, creatures and characters as well as aiding in the film's soundtrack composition.

"The success of the Silent Hill series is based on a perfect blend of suspense, plot twists and captivating characters," said Geoff Mulligan, Chief Operating Officer of Konami of America, Inc. "We are confident that Samuel Hadida and his talented team will capture and create an unforgettable movie-going experience."

Silent Hill is the premiere franchise in the horror videogame genre with over four million copies sold in Japan, the U.S. and Europe. Silent Hill 3 for PlayStation?2 was recently released in August 2003 and is considered to be the best game in the series. With a terrifying narrative, spectacular graphics and a bloodcurdling soundtrack, Silent Hill 3 has already garnered numerous industry accolades and awards.

To further strengthen the Konami brand worldwide, the company is currently pursuing film production deals for its other blockbuster videogame franchises.

Konami Announces Silent Hill Movie

Maybe this is old news around here, but it says it was just announced today.

Carlos.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Pharmboy@Sep 18 2003, 12:44 PM

Well, here's hoping it's not like 98% of movies based on games and sucking.

And really the 2% is based on my extreme guilty pleasure enjoyment of Mortal Kombat ;).

My name is Auntie Muffin and I am a Mortal Kombat addict too. 8)

It has been 4 days since my last MK fix.

Why don't hollywood just give up all the videogame based movies they have all sucked. Why tarnish the name of yet another great game.

I'm sure there are quite a few people that would disagree with that assesment (me being one of them). Please lets keep an open mind about the movie in question and about this discussion.

If you see problems with how Hollywood has handled the various videogames properties it has gotten ahold of then please detail that for us so that we may discuss and debate the issue with you (the primary function of this forum). Generalized comments stating "they all sucked" and formulating an opinion on a movie you have not seen does nothing to further the discussion nor does it help folks understand WHY you stated the comments you did. Please keep that in mind and please elaborate on what you feel some of the failings in previous videogame movie translations were/are...

He does have a point, though, Romier. I've been trying to think of a decent movie based on a videogame and have been unable to come up with any. I can't help but be worried when I hear that they're going to be messing with one of my favorite games.

Hollywood seems to see automatic dollar signs with the built-in audience that movies based on big videogame franchises come with and who cares if it's a good movie or not. Resident Evil and Tomb Raider are the most recent examples of this. Of course with rare exceptions (The Thing) this works in reverse as well.

I'd love to see a good Silent Hill movie, but I think it's unlikely that a major studio would have the sack to put out a movie for the mainstream that was really true to the Silent Hill legacy. I hope they do, but I'm not holding my breath. I think the Silent Hill games have better than average storylines, so the potential for a better than average videogame movie is there.

Oh, and I agree 100% about the scoring, that would make the movie worth seeing even if it the rest of it didn't turn out so well.

All my opinion of course.

He does have a point, though, Romier. I've been trying to think of a decent movie based on a videogame and have been unable to come up with any. I can't help but be worried when I hear that they're going to be messing with one of my favorite games.

But don't you think there's the potential for a good game based movie out there in the right hands? The problem is that right now, it's viewed as nice cheap material causing, as you rightly say, "automatic dollar signs". It doesn't have to be that way - we shall have our "Ghost World" vs "LXG" one of these days.

He does have a point, though, Romier.

Sure but I'd like an elaboration on that point, not just "they sucked". Its a pet peeve of mine I'll admit but that does nothing to help me understand yours/Bobbio's point of view when discussing a topic. Which was my point.

I'm in the minority perhaps but I enjoyed Resident Evil quite a bit (minus some of the licker SFX) and I look forward to its sequel. I also enjoyed the first Mortal Kombat movie (though the sequel was horrible IMO). In the right hands and with consultation from Konami and Team Silent there is potential here for the movie to be good as Brian mentioned. Until we know more about the movie there is little to base a good or bad opinion on right now. The director however is capable and I'm hoping they take things in the right direction. (though good lord the only man I would feel safe handling a Silent Hill movie is the *THE MAN* David Lynch but I don't think he'd come even 10 yards close to this movie :cry: ).

I'm with you on Resident Evil Romier. I thought it was a very well done movie. It's not Oscar material, but I really got into the film. Plus the ending is in my Top 10 favotrite endings of all time. :)

I also enjoyed the 1st Mortal Kombat. Fun fighting/action film. The 2nd, however, was a heaping pile. ;)

Bring on the Silent Hill film. I have hopes that it will be good.

-Dean-

But don't you think there's the potential for a good game based movie out there in the right hands?

Absolutely, in the right hands I think a Silent Hill movie could be excellent. I'm just looking at the track record. A Lynch Silent Hill movie, now that would be something.

Sure but I'd like an elaboration on that point, not just "they sucked".

Oh, fair enough. I totally agree.

Originally posted by FutureVoid@Sep 18 2003, 11:21 PM

The only individual alive that should be scoring that movie is Akira.

Just saw a blurb somewhere that said that Konami is going to be HEAVILY involved in the prduction of the movie AND the soundtrack. Don't know what it means, but it could mean that the music will more closely follow the game's music.

Carlos.

but it could mean that the music will more closely follow the game's music.

Or, maybe James will come across a creepy undead nurse and he'll yell 'Show me your hottest moves!' and they match off while stomping around to 'El Ritmo Tropical'. :green:

And that's the story of why I'm not allowed to be a film consultant ;).

• 2 months later...

Silent Hill Comic Spinoff Announced HERE

comicbook publisher IDW Publishing has signed a deal to adapt Konami's Silent Hill in sequential art form. The first issue of "Silent Hill: Dying Inside," an original story based on the themes and settings of the popular horror adventure series, will hit American shelves next February.

Has a sample page from the comic, too!

Carlos.

Well-known artist Ashley Wood will supply cover artwork, following up on his previous involvement with Konami -- he contributed designs and image illustrations to last year's Contra: Shattered Soldier.

Excellent! (Loved Contra's cover art)

The actual comic art is looking unique though I'd like to see more.

Originally posted by FutureVoid@Dec 8 2003, 08:58 PM

The actual comic art is looking unique though I'd like to see more.

Oh, you want more. Well look what else I found....

Start HERE and work backwards with the PREV button. For some reason they posted the pages in reverse order.

Enjoy.

I'm officially creeped out.

Carlos.