LCVG

Ghost Recon Live tips

Robot Monkey

Okay here's a few:

1. Pay attention to the map when choosing weapons. Some maps like prison are not well-suited to a .50 cal sniper rifle. If you don't know the map, ask someone in the lobby.

2. Communicate with your team! Tell them what you're doing and where you are. If you get whacked and respawn, tell your team where you think you took fire from.

3. Know your team members's general location. If you spot a bad guy but can't get a clean shot, you can give a heads up to a teammate in the area.

4. The map can be your friend. If you see a red circle on the map near a teammate, warn them and give them directions ("Turn left! Left left left! Okay, a little right!").

5. Identify chokepoints. Try to set up interlocking fields of fire.

6. Don't stay in one posiiton unless you are protected from all approaches. This is particularly important if you are using a scoped weapon and are fighting tunnel vision. Movement is life!

7. Avoid moving when standing upright and use cover. When moving in groups, try to buddy rush (leapfrog). One teammate moves forward while the other provides overwatch protection.

8. Exercise patience. If you know a bad guy is behind a rock don't rush the rock out of frustration. Wait it out if possible, lob a grenade or ask a teammate if they have a better angle. DEFINITELY tell your teammates what is going on. You don't want them to walk into the bad guy's field of fire.

Post your own tips here!

-j

And another:

Check out Ick's excellent Ghost Recon and GRIT Weapons Charts for more data on the individual weapons as modelled in game.

Note that weapons have stability ratings -- measuring the time it takes for the pips to converge after firing or movement.

The GRIT is still in progress and I've noticed occasional access problems.

-j

I like to see my team advance in a somewhat even formation - one where no soldier gets too far ahead of the others. If we are moving up the beach, spread wide to avoid multiple team members being killed at once. Staying in a loose line prevents the team from being flanked and if somebody is being fired on, a teammate may be able to get an angle on the attacker since they are usually off to the left or the right.

Using cover as you move is helpful also. I try to walk through trees, bushes etc.. as much as possible to lower the chances of someone locking on to me from far off.

Originally posted by Robot Monkey@Sep 18 2003, 11:20 AM

6. Don't stay in one posiiton unless you are protected from all approaches. This is particularly important if you are using a scoped weapon and are fighting tunnel vision. Movement is life!

All good stuff, except "Movement is life!"... that may or may not be true. If I am laying across the way waiting for targets of opportunity, movement may very well get you killed!

One thing I would add about movement - try to move on the back side of hills below the crest to avoid being seen. If there aren't hills, there are sometimes little ruts in the earth, crawl through them from one cover to the next.

If you are fairly new to a map and aren't very familiar with it, I would suggest you don't go running at top speed when the match launches, many times snipers like me will be looking for runners at the very start of a match... they can be easy kills.

4. The map can be your friend. If you see a red circle on the map near a teammate, warn them and give them directions ("Turn left! Left left left! Okay, a little right!").

Can't emphasize this one enough. I make sure to check my map about every 30-45 seconds or so. I can't tell you how many times it saved my bacon, as a red dot appeared (sometimes right in front of me!) and I had no idea I was that close to a target.

Also, I know this isn't a popular choice, but I like to pick one kit and use it for pretty much all of the maps. I think most people will take a sniper rifle for the open maps, a machine gun for the close-quarter maps, and then whatever for the ones in between, but I like to grab a carbine and a set of binocs and I use that kit no matter what map we are playing. That way I become very familiar with a weapon and I don't get a nasty surprise when my spiffy sniper rifle takes forever to center the pips, or my machine gun can't hit the side of a mountain from beyond 50 paces. Not saying that those weapons are flawed, by any means, I'm just saying once you get used to how quickly a particular weapon centers and how much stopping power it has, it can be disconcerting to use something with different stats.

My other tip is to try to get on Jason's team whenever possible. :P

I absolutely agree with Jason -- but I stand by movement is life when tempered with the other tenet, patience.

Too often people (including me) pick a location and happily sit there sniping, etc while other people are slowly zeroing in on them. Always be aware of your surroundings and other approaches to your position.

Let's say this, then: If you kill someone from a position (especially more than one), start thinking about shifting your firing position. One that overlooks your old position can be very nice, because then you can get the bad guys who come looking for you.

-j