LCVG

Survivor: Pearl Islands

Mark E

Ahh, yes, I am a Survivor junkie. I don't watch much TV thanks to my classes, but I always make a little time for Survivor (and The Amazing Race if it comes back, which for my money is the best reality show ever [too bad I figured this out just last season :P]).

Great start last night, what with the clever twist that the bozos thought they were going to a publicity shoot for the show, then were dumped off the boat with just the clothes on their backs and some money to barter for supplies.

The two teams might as well be night and day in their differences. The Drake tribe has their shit together and one of their members speaks Spanish (I think it was Spanish) so they had no trouble getting a ton of supplies through haggling, including an entire birthday barbeque and utensils for a gold chain.

The Morgan tribe is just all over the place. They got accused of stealing from one shop, then left their supplies next to the other team unguarded, and the guy guarding the Drake team's stuff went through their stuff and stole all the shoes for bartering purposes. It was hilarious. The guy on the Drake team is basically Hagrid so it's absolutely hilarious.

Morgan tribe got stark naked for the immunity challenge (the men did at least). And they STILL lost, by like a foot. Then Nichole tried to triple backstab and got herself tossed off because she couldn't keep her mouth shut. Ah heh. Shame though, she was one of the lookers.

So far this has been one of the better starts to a Survivor series. The show continues to entertain me, probably because it has people I love to hate on it and cheer for them to get tossed the hell off ;).

Originally posted by gigapower@Sep 19 2003, 03:15 PM

man that computer programmer chick just pushes all the right buttons ;)

Just two quick notes of warning.

1) All computer programmer chicks push correct buttons.

2) Three years of comp. sci. classes where they are the one hot chick being drooled over by 29 geeks has made them acutely aware of note (1), so they are highly dangerous.

You may return to your ill-advised drooling.

I havent watched much survivor since 2 with the exception of a few minutes every couple weeks or something. Last nights started off pretty interesting and next thing you know I watched the entire show, while I had a game paused on my ps2 :shock:

I still cant believe how little the constestants have learned from past survivors. That nicole chick was in absolutely no danger of getting booted until she opened her mouth.

I also still watch Survivor, it's the only reality TV show I've stuck with. I liked the first Big Brother mostly because they had free video streams which was great to have on at work...in a sick futuristic voyeur kind of way.

Anyway, I thought last season's Survivor was the best since the first one. So, I have high hopes that this one will be good too.

As a student of human nature, literally, this show is fascinating. It's great to watch people interact and alter their behavior in the presence of other people. To bond or clash. It's also fun to see how many presumptions I make about people...and which ones turn out to be accurate versus simple prejudice.

Last season was interesting because of the male vs female thing, which before the show began sounded like a boring ploy...but it turned out to be very interesting, as the men's group disintegrated in challenges, and personalities clashed. The women, presumably underdogs in the physical challenges stuck it to the men.

The tribes in this one remind me of a few seasons ago, can't remember which one now, but it had a similar dynamic. One team had their shit together, and got along well, while the other was a mess...but IIRC, the team that got along got their asses kicked, which I would never have predicted.

I can't decide if I hate to love this show or love to hate it, but the bottom line is my wife watches it, so I can tune in with her and tell myself it's for her sake. :)

At any rate, the pilot offered some great moments already, including a team building their camp on a nest of hermit crabs, the big, strong, tough guy (Osten?) freaking out at the touch of a vicious snake that ended up being a palm frond, and the indelible image of Hagrid in a skirt. :lol:

Even Captain Smug (Probst) seemed to have finally loosened up and stopped taking himself so seriously. He had a great line in tribal council about how it's one thing to strip down to one's altogether to WIN a challenge, but to do so and lose? Maybe old stick-up-the-bum Jeff has a sense of humor after all!

Bottom line: I'll be back.

I cannot believe those freaks built a shelter next to a incredibly unstable pile of shale! They even knocked a few hundred pounds of it down by hitting it with a stick, but they're going to sleep under it!?

That could come back to haunt them in a very bad way.

Also, I wonder if Rupert's 'pirating' the belongings of the other team might come back to haunt him...if he's still there when they merge, or if they mix up the tribes again, he could be screwed if they find out.

Originally posted by EdR@Sep 19 2003, 12:57 PM

I cannot believe those freaks built a shelter next to a incredibly unstable pile of shale! They even knocked a few hundred pounds of it down by hitting it with a stick, but they're going to sleep under it!?

That could come back to haunt them in a very bad way.

Also, I wonder if Rupert's 'pirating' the belongings of the other team might come back to haunt him...if he's still there when they merge, or if they mix up the tribes again, he could be screwed if they find out.

I'm pretty sure they moved their shelter after that first night, and got it up off the ground.

They never really covered whether A) the Morgan even noticed their stuff was gone, and B) if they noticed their stuff was gone, that Rupert was the culiprit...

My guess is that if Morgan was wise to it, there'd have been some juicy confrontation for the cameras...

I'm pretty sure they moved their shelter after that first night, and got it up off the ground.

Ah, I think you're right...

They never really covered whether A) the Morgan even noticed their stuff was gone, and B) if they noticed their stuff was gone, that Rupert was the culiprit...

Yeah, I can't imagine that among 8 people none of them noticed that their shoes were gone. I think it might have been editing. As for Rupert, he told at least one of his team mates, which means anyone else on his team could know...which could be very useful ammo in the future.

before the show began sounded like a boring ploy...but it turned out to be very interesting

This sums up my thoughts on the last Survivor too. The guys really seemed to come off the worst, they were practically oozing testosterone during some of those challenges :P.

Jeff Probst is hard to peg. Sometimes I can't tell if he's just taking his job way too seriously or if he gets the joke to the whole thing. He's had some seriously snide one-liners over the past couple seasons.

Yeah, I can't imagine that among 8 people none of them noticed that their shoes were gone. I think it might have been editing.

Could have been the editing then again with the way they were running around the village like chickens with their heads cut off Im not so sure. Morgan doesnt seem like the smartest bunch.

Originally posted by Jason Merrick@Sep 20 2003, 09:27 AM

This looks like the best Survivor yet... after being disappointed by the last season of both Survivor and Amazing Race, I'm glad they have made some changes and improvements.

Wow, you didn't like Survivor Amazon ? I thought it was nearly as good as the first, with some of the most intriguing personalities, like Rob who was possibly the most adept, two-faced person to ever play the game...and easily one of the most entertaining. Christy was great, watching people react to and deal with (or not) her deafness was very interesting. It restored my faith in the series which was starting to wane after the previous two seasons.

• 1 month later...

I'm reviving this topic because tonight's show was probably the best episode of Survivor ever...absolutely brilliant change-up in the rules.

For those of you who didn't see it, it went down like this. This episode marked the halfway point for the season, which used to mean that the two tribes would merge into a single tribe, and then it's every-man-for-himself (or herself). The last few seasons they have altered this setup in various ways, which was fun.

But this time, they brought back all the people that had been voted out so far, and formed an impromptu 3rd tribe to compete in a challenge. This meant that there were 3 tribes with 6 members each (which makes you wonder if they decided to do this only because each tribe had the same number of members left).

If the new tribe (the Outcasts) won the challenge, then both of the existing tribes would each have to go to a council to vote out a member.

On top of that, the Outcast tribe would go to a Council to vote in two members to replace each of the members that the other two tribes voted out.

If one of the existing tribes came in last in the challenge, then they would vote out one member and the Outcasts would vote in one member to replace them.

Well, the Outcasts won, and both of the existing tribes voted out a person. Next week we find out who gets voted into the two tribes from the Outcasts (BTW, I assume the outcast tribe will dissolve after that vote, but you can't be sure).

The response of each existing tribe to this was a sight to behold, priceless. The dynamic of the game changed radically, and the Outcasts haven't even come back into the game yet.

I won't go into any more details, but the way it all unfolded was something else, another fascinating look at human interaction and psychology.

another fascinating look at human interaction and psychology.

No argument here, and isn't that why we watch Survivor? That and to see how the producers are manipulating us ;).

Excellent episode though. I imagine the jaws hit the collective floor all 'round at that one. Best twist ever, and a natural one come to think of it given that it really shakes up something that has been a given since the first Survivor.

Jeff continues to crack me up. There's no way he doesn't know how ridiculous some of his over-the-top seriousness gets. I thought I was going to die when he threw down Osten's torch and made his proclamation. Even better, they didn't let Osten have a final word. Classic.

This is shaping up to be the best Survivor in ages, now if only they'd lose Jon to a shark attack :P.