LCVG

Any Indie Game Developers Here?

dogbert

Getting good art seems to be the stumbling block for a LOT of indie projects. My friend has a near complete 2D puzzler - design is implemented, all the systems are in place, has about 30 out of 100 levels done, but no real art. All he needs is someone capable of churning out Popcap style art :)

I used to tinker around some, but nothing so far I've put out for other people than me and my friends. The only projects that I can remember actually getting near completed (not counting the slew of terrible games me and my friends made in QBASIC as kids :green:) were a free-roaming Asteroids-style multiplayer shooter written in C++, a "Worms/Scorched Earth"-style multiplayer game in Java, and a two-screenfuls Metal Slug clone/port/demo for the GBA written in C++ and assembly. Which, come to think of it, I probably should've gone further on, that was actually pretty cool. :) If I ever get the motivation to do so again, I'd like to do some more GBA coding.

-I was thinking about this topic today at lunch, before I even came across this thread.

-I've been interested in indie projects for the DC lately, and I was thinking it would be great to have an indie 'Samba de Amigo' game, or even a variant game using the maraca controllers. Unfortuantely I am completely devoid of the skills necessary for an indie game project, ... I told my momma I should have been breast fed, that damn formula has been holding back my potential for way too long now. :D

I have lots of ideas for little games and mods and stuff swirling around in my head that I'd like to see done... but I'm not much of an artist, and I'm not much of a programmer, so I'm basically screwed.

I have delved into a few things with map editors and whatnot. Made a few maps for Red Alert, Dark Reign, a UI mod for Dark Reign 2, a small Quake 3 DM map that would have been good for Rocket Arena, and got really involved with the Warcraft 3 editor when it first arrived. I created a tutorial for beginners of that editor, and started work on two mods that never saw the light of day.

The first was a Pac Man mod that was going alright, but I was just getting a bit frustrated with it. I think I was a little too ambitious in wanting it to be multiplayer, crazy maps, and the Ghost "AI" was really really tough to get right.

The 2nd project on that was a capture the flag/point, which was originally inspired by the rule method of Day of Defeat, but morphed into something a bit different when it turned out that it didn't work too well in an RTS style game. I got it to a point where it was turning into a really fun game, but I started running out of time (when I started I was unemployed with lots of time on my hands) and needed testers which I didn't have (although I probably could have found some if I looked hard enough). My plan was to build a website for it, to let people know about it, and hopefully get a few people to help test and build maps for it, but I never even got the website started.

I'd really like to go back to that mod and finish it, as I think it could have been quite fun, and hopefully popular. With the new stuff added into Frozen Throne, I could probably make it even better then I originally had.

The other thing I'd really like to do is convert a board/card game that a bunch of friends of my family get together and play. It's a great multiplayer game and could become and internet parlor game craze I'm sure :) . I tried to start it up in Delphi, but couldn't even remember enough to get the pieces to move around the board.

A friend of mine was really into modding and mapping though. He made a mod with new units and such for Red Alert, a near TC of the races for Dark Reign which was actually included with the Dark Reign expansion, started on a sequel for DR2, made a lot of great maps for Quake and Quake 2, and a whole set of maps for Quake Arena 3 (I think) that I think might have been included with a release.

Originally posted by heavy liquid@Sep 19 2003, 01:01 PM

Hey Gigapower, I went to school for Illustration and Design, before switching over to Animation. I'm flexible between different styles, and would like to think I'm fairly decent. Let me know if you'd like me to send you any samples or email me with an idea you'd like me to sketch out if you want.

I sent you a PM.