LCVG

Official Xbox wireless solution

fishepa

Well, Microsoft is about to come out with it's own wireless solution for the xbox. It works with both 802.11b and g networks. It's priced at $139. I still don't understand who could actually use the g protocol, does anyone actually have a wireless network in their house over 11mb?

But anyway, here is a link at IGN.

Originally posted by CaptDS9E@Sep 19 2003, 09:53 AM

Well the new Routers do have G so im sure people do use it. But for around $50 less you can pick up Linksys's game adapter. I mentioned in general discussion that i bought one last weekend. works very well

capt

Well, yeah the routers have a "g" standard as well, but you can only use the bandwidth your ISP is giving you. If you have a 1.5mb DSL connection, you're only going to get 1.5mb to your xbox even if you do have a wireless g router and the xbox g wireless solution.

The only way you would be able to actually get a throughput anywhere close to the 54mb standard of 802.11g is if you were streaming movies over your wireless LAN from your hard drive.

Most people see the 54mb and say to themselves, "Wow, if I buy this, I will be able to surf the internet from my couch at 54mb/s." That's not true at all, unless they had a 54mb connection from their ISP.

I just got back from Best Buy where I purchased a Linksys wireless G router. I purchased it for the future...not for now.

I would have expected the Microsoft wireless devices to be a bit cheaper as they are clearly marketed for use with Xbox. $139 is pretty steep considering there are G solutions for as little as $49 with rebates.

Originally posted by iCamp@Sep 19 2003, 10:56 AM

I just got back from Best Buy where I purchased a Linksys wireless G router. I purchased it for the future...not for now.

I would have expected the Microsoft wireless devices to be a bit cheaper as they are clearly marketed for use with Xbox. $139 is pretty steep considering there are G solutions for as little as $49 with rebates.

I agree, the $139 is a little pricey, especially when you can get the linksys or Dlink for a little more than half that price.