LCVG

What game genres NEED more innovation?

foogledricks

What game genres NEED more innovation?  

1. 1. What game genres NEED more innovation?

• Sports
    • Racing
    • First-Person Shooter (let's face it, this is now a genre)
    • Fighting
    • RPG
    • Platform
    • Adventure

Tecmo Bowl and ESPN football illustrate a huge evolution IMO.

And Rad Racer to Gran Tourismo doesn't?

But I think it's an interesting question, since while some genre like racing might not innovate all that much, I don't think it NEEDS innovation. Racing and sports games are trying to recreate something, at least on some level, from real life, so they are already limited in some ways.

Platformers, Adventure, and FPSs (which of course are their own genre), can't get away with doing the same things over and over again before they get boring an dull.

My vote was for adventure games. 1) Because they need a kick in the pants to get going again and 2) because I think there's so much more potential for these games than talking, collecting items, and solving pre-determined puzzles.

I went with fighting, too. Fighting games have barely changed at all over the years. 2d to 3d, and that was about it. I don't think adding these kumite or weapon master modes (to pick on a couple of popular ones) to them can really count as innovation, as we all knew they needed to do something along those lines for years. Update the graphics, add a few new characters and a few new moves and you have the next sequel of your popular fighting game.

Of course, I'm a sucker that keeps buying (and enjoying) them anyway, but that doesn't mean I can't hope for more. :D

Originally posted by Chris@Sep 21 2003, 12:58 AM

I went with fighting, too. Fighting games have barely changed at all over the years. 2d to 3d, and that was about it. I don't think adding these kumite or weapon master modes (to pick on a couple of popular ones) to them can really count as innovation, as we all knew they needed to do something along those lines for years. Update the graphics, add a few new characters and a few new moves and you have the next sequel of your popular fighting game.

Of course, I'm a sucker that keeps buying (and enjoying) them anyway, but that doesn't mean I can't hope for more. :D

Sure.

But what do you suggest fighting games do?

I picked RPGs, but what I really meant was 'Square should stop repackaging the same damn game with the same damn plot and same damn story structure and calling it a "new" Final Fantasy.

If the next single-player FF game contains a summoning spell, then it did not innovate. I am sick to death of seeing summons. They need to come up with something new. Most RPGs are guilty of the same, but they need to get over that. Bioware is the only company continually trying to improve itself in those areas, to my mind.

You bring up a good point about adventure games, OM, but it's hard to see any innovation coming in the genre since it's soooo dead now that you're more likely to have to restart it with traditional product rather than go for the innovation. RPGs should be able to innovate simply because they're so successful.

Fighting games need to figure out a way to be 3D and have all the skill and button finesse of 2D fighters. That's my 2 cents on fighters.

but it's hard to see any innovation coming in the genre since it's soooo dead now

Which is exactly why this is more of a NEED than any other genre. If someone were to make an adventure game that didn't follow the current standards, I'm pretty sure it could do really well, and kickstart the genre again. But we're stuck with Myst and SCUMM style copycats (which can be good, but I want more).

I also voted for fighting games. I'd love to see more games like the first Buffy for the xbox that incorporates a full fledged fighting engine with the gameplay. That game was a lot of fun. I hope you're right Mark, and Tecmo's listening. Here's hoping for Nina is as good, and if not better than Buffy. ;)

I'd also like to see some new gameplay elements introduced to RPG's. Star Wars KOTOR, Boktai and Kingdom Hearts is a good start, but there does need to be something new.