LCVG

Latest EGM Rumors from The Q

Josh

Sony goes half and half

Just how much does the PlayStation Portable (aka PSP) mean to Sony? A lot. The Q's informants have caught word that the comapny has split its development resources straight down the middle -- half is going to consoles and half to PSP. That's some serious bidness, friends. Of course, there's also the rumor that half of Sony's console development group has left the world of PS2 behind and is already hard at work on the first batch of PS3 titles.

Perfect Dark waits for Halo

We may be waitin' a little while for a good look at Rare's prequel/sequel/whatchamacallit to its Nintendo 64 first-person shooter Perfect Dark. Yours truly hears that Microsoft is waiting for Halo 2 hype to pass before unleashing Perfect Dark Zero on an unsuspecting public. But those who've seen it say it's absolutely awesome. Do I believe them? Hmm...well, I did like PD on the 64....

EA Sports closer to Live than ever before?

While EA has been slow to hop on the Xbox Live wagon train, there's more than a sporting chance that the company will soon change its tune, beginning with the [insert sport here] 2005 games.

Square Enix prepares onslaught

The drought of Square Enix releases is about to come to an end. The Q's well-placed spies in the land of the rising sun have learned that fewer than 20 but more than 18 titles are in the pipeline for U.S. translation work, including the few that we know about (like Final Fantasy XI and Sword of Mana).

Online Star Wars heads for PS2

The Q's jedi mind tricks have yielded this tasty nugget of info from deep in Marin County, California. Seems that LucasArts is working on a new online title for PS2, set in the Star Wars universe, that will play similar to the PC hit Battlefield 1942 (i.e., lots of troops, vehicles, all "real" people playing online). Online gaming and Star Wars...wow, you know, I never thought of it before, but that's, like, a perfect combination.

KOTOR sequel online

What? Knights of the Old Republic... 2? And I'm not even halfway through the first Star Wars-filled funfest! Guess I better get crackin'. While the sequel is still reportedly a ways off, there is one detail being bandied about that just might interest you: It may include co-op online play. Now that's usin' your Force powers for good....

set in the Star Wars universe, that will play similar to the PC hit Battlefield 1942

Ugh, LucasArts USED to be able to take a hot genre and put out a classic by adding the Star Wars licence and adding some nice innovations to the game (Dark Forces, Tie Fighter) but not so much anymore.

I'm curious as to who would be developing that though. If it's internal, I already know what will probably happen.

Thanks for posting this...rumors are always fun.

Perfect Dark waits for Halo

We may be waitin' a little while for a good look at Rare's prequel/sequel/whatchamacallit to its Nintendo 64 first-person shooter Perfect Dark. Yours truly hears that Microsoft is waiting for Halo 2 hype to pass before unleashing Perfect Dark Zero on an unsuspecting public. But those who've seen it say it's absolutely awesome. Do I believe them? Hmm...well, I did like PD on the 64....

Someone else to back my theory. :)

I take Microsoft's utter silence on a Perfect Dark sequal as evidence Halo 2 will release this year. PD 2 was (supposedly) in development while Rare was still with Nintendo so it's likely fairly well along. Why would Microsoft be so mum on the topic if not to protect one of their own franchises? If Halo 2 weren't due fairly soon I think Microsoft would at least be building initial hype about PD 2.

Bungie still say Halo2 will be released when finished.. as much as id love to see it this year i very much doubt it.

From an interview on computerandvideogames:

So what is left to do? What are the key areas you're working on right now?

Parsons: Exactly what I think fans would want us to be working on. We know the story we want to tell - we've known for a long time - the technology is where we wanted it to be, and the team's in full production. There's tonnes of work left to do, create, design, put sound to... But in terms of basic building blocks, that's all been done.

What the earliest you think we'll be able to play Halo 2?

Parsons: This is sort of the same answer that I'll give for when it's going to come out, which is when it's ready. I think Bungie has already been good about getting as much for you as we can, when we can. I just don't know when that is.

Are you roughly on track for April?

Parsons: I think roughly. But, as I've said, the more direct answer is: when it's ready. That's what we all want.

What's been the major hold up?

Parsons: There have been no major hold-ups.

Didn't you want it out before Christmas originally?

Parsons: No...

Presumably Microsoft did... it was certainly on its schedule.

Parsons: I don't really know the answer to that. The main thing that Microsoft wanted and one of the reasons I liked about working with Ed Fries is he's like: "Make it great, and let us know when it's ready."