LCVG

Laser Squad Nemesis

Robot Monkey

They praised the heck out of it at Penny Arcade, as I recall, I think I posted something about it in the X-Com thread at one point. Seemed interesting enough to my mind, I just don't have the money. But you can download a trial version that'll give you access to a couple games versus people who already own the full title for free.

I am 110% in favor of that kind of shareware style of deal. Screens look neat and supposedly it plays out pretty quickly as well.

Pharmboy,

So many good memories of Xcom it's hard to keep track. Some of my favorite bits (that I can remember):

* Once you get that missle hovertank you just decimate entire structures. I loved spotting an enemy through a window with a char and having the tank guide a missle THROUGH the open window into the middle of the room. BOOM, lots of screeching aliens, lots of carnage.

* The flying power suits were crazy. You could send a rookie straight up 4-5 levels and scout out the landscape for your teammates. The aliens would inevitably bag the guy the next combat round, but at least you knew where they were.

* That mindcontrol stuff was just too hardcore. When one of your guys goes nuts and shoots 3 others in the back it's a real pisser. But when you possess an alien, make him wipe out his 3 buddies, then throw his gun on the ground it was pure gold.

* In the terror camps when the fast melee aliens would attack your crew was a lot of fun. They attack and 1-2 turns later one of your boys would go Alien on you and need to be exterminated. That was just too much first time it happened, I loved it.

• 6 months later...

Heh, I just d/l'd the demo for this and gave it a go to see how it was, fueled by nostalgia. It's not X-Com, but it's not bad at all. Very interesting, in fact. And I got rocked by the computer in the freakin' tutorial, how lame is that? :P.

If the single-player game was X-Commy enough I could really see going for this, but that price point is still way, way too high if you ask me.